SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Collector
Topic Author

The end of Java Applets?

February 24th, 2018, 11:41 pm

So looks like the area of java applets are over, less and less browsers support them I think? Some of my java applet option calculators where running for about 20 years, until very recently without any maintenance, that is rather robust I must say, but looked horrible old fashioned in the end. When I built them I expected them to max last about 2 years.

so what is the new tools to make online option calculators now?  

Java script was not good back then and not now?

google sheets?

Can python be used online? like a java applet or so?

tagoma

Re: The end of Java Applets?

February 25th, 2018, 10:00 am

Depending on the exact requirements of your project, you can maybe have a look at:
-  python web frameworks such as django (advanced web application) and Flask (lighter web applications)
- plotly's dash which is based on Flask, React, D3JS, etc... (but watch out licensing).  See this volatility surface explorer example.

outrun

February 25th, 2018, 10:41 am

I would go for JavaScript since it runs in your browser and not at a server, which makes is more timeless (where did the server go?). It even has gpu options.

But don't use JavaScript framework if you don't need them, they are extremely short-lived. I'm a huge fan of react but a option calculator won't need that, and then it becomes a potential needless counterparty in the deal that might default at some point. :-)

outrun

February 25th, 2018, 12:01 pm

..an other option is to write formula's in a formal language like openmath or mathml, and then have scripts that convert them to *any* programming language automatically?

tagoma

February 25th, 2018, 2:28 pm

But don't use JavaScript framework if you don't need them, they are extremely short-lived.
I hear you know a lot about web apps
Always funny!

Collector
Topic Author

February 25th, 2018, 4:19 pm

I would go for JavaScript since it runs in your browser and not at a server, which makes is more timeless (where did the server go?). It even has gpu options.

But don't use JavaScript framework if you don't need them, they are extremely short-lived. I'm a huge fan of react but a option calculator won't need that, and then it becomes a potential needless counterparty in the deal that might default at some point. :-)
any experience/views on the Javascript Obfuscator  (for prop models) ?

outrun

February 25th, 2018, 8:28 pm

But don't use JavaScript framework if you don't need them, they are extremely short-lived.
I hear you know a lot about web apps
Always funny!
Hahaha, so funny!

outrun

February 25th, 2018, 9:50 pm

An obfuscator won't prevent anyone copying usable code, no? If you want to keep thing private then you'd have to keep it on the server: send parameter values from the browser to the server and get prices & greeks back from the server. On the server Flask  (python on a webserver) would be good like tagoma said,.. or node.js (javascript on the server), .. or php. 
But I'd think you'd have more (indirect) success if you would release a open source codebase?

Cuchulainn

February 26th, 2018, 9:34 am

What's the rationale?

Collector
Topic Author

February 26th, 2018, 12:20 pm

What's the rationale?
for not having open source you mean?  I would think quite some arguments for and against...
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On