Topic Author

Re: R in market making/quant finance?

June 23rd, 2019, 12:08 pm

???????

Cuchulainn

June 23rd, 2019, 2:49 pm

???????
Is that 7 small questions or one big one?

tags

June 23rd, 2019, 2:54 pm

???????
Is that 7 small questions or one big one?
An attempt to contact the Delphi, I presume. But I'm afraid the oracle is unavailable.

bearish

June 23rd, 2019, 5:10 pm

It may have been a futile quest to bring the thread back on track (he is new here). In that spirit I will reiterate a point a made earlier and expand briefly on it. When comparing alternative math/stat/ML courses, e.g. going deeper into ML versus broadening your general computational math skills, I'd put at least 80% of the weight on course attributes other than which programming language is being employed. Is the professor good? Does the subject excite you? Do you think you'll do reasonably well in it (possibly a particular concern for a graduate level class)? My standard advice for course selection in general is to study something hard and useful, but in this case that may well apply to both of your alternatives.

mal
Topic Author

June 23rd, 2019, 10:18 pm

The question marks indicate, why are you posting such irrelevant things such as how to install R from linux, in my thread?  Generally, at least on the 1st page, people stay on topic to the OP.
It may have been a futile quest to bring the thread back on track (he is new here). In that spirit I will reiterate a point a made earlier and expand briefly on it. When comparing alternative math/stat/ML courses, e.g. going deeper into ML versus broadening your general computational math skills, I'd put at least 80% of the weight on course attributes other than which programming language is being employed. Is the professor good? Does the subject excite you? Do you think you'll do reasonably well in it (possibly a particular concern for a graduate level class)? My standard advice for course selection in general is to study something hard and useful, but in this case that may well apply to both of your alternatives.
Ok yes, I see your point.  Those are some good questions that I should be asking myself.  Getting good grades is important for me at the moment hah.  Cheers.