Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

volatilityMan
Topic Author

Cloud solution

June 8th, 2020, 9:19 am

Hi guys 

I've created a database with the putpose of downloading lots of financial data. Currently it's running on my laptop and saving directly to the database. 
As you can imagine, it's pretty heavy on the computer. Also, I manually have to start and end the program each day (before stock market opens and after closure).

Does anyone know of a good (and cheap) cloud solution where I can allocate this task and fully automate everything?
I consider the Amazon myself, but the pricing is somewhat unclear. If possible to keep below $100/month it would be great. 

Thanks in advance. 

Alan

Re: Cloud solution

June 8th, 2020, 1:31 pm

Try the CBOE data shop. I filled in "all symbols", hourly quotes, overnight delivery, and it said $72/month. They will just post it to an ftp site. Of course, you'll need to move it somewhere, but that seems like a separate automation and backup problem. If you can automate the download, perhaps standard desktop backups could be used: MS office, Carbonite, etc.  How much data per day are we talking about?

volatilityMan
Topic Author

June 8th, 2020, 2:53 pm

The size is around 25-30 MB data per day. 
Also, I have some scraping going on which I wanted to move to the cloud if possible. Hence scraping/fetching and inserting into the database (all automatized, optimally).
I've seen several data providers out there but I prefer to "create my own" database as it gives me some more flexibility. 

pramod

August 28th, 2020, 11:36 am

For storing your data with the portability facility you have to acquire the space at cloud only google and amazon cloud is best. I can tell you a cloud based free financial analysis software 1ViewAnalytics but i am not sure about they provide free data store facility or not. Go and give it try!