Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

katastrofa
Topic Author

I've got the power (outage) - UPS advice needed

January 4th, 2021, 6:02 pm

I'm looking to buy a UPS to guard myself against winter power outages in my hytte. I need it for one notebook and a router for a couple of hours (I will get extra time from the notebook double battery).

Ideally I would keep the UPS connected to my desktop PC to give myself a few minutes to make checkpoints and shutdown, and only then switch it to the notebook and router. However, I've read that this would require a pure sine wave output. This seems to leave me with heavy-weight noisy monsters. I hoped to be good with a small APC or another quality brand, but their smaller models produce an approximated wave...

I will be grateful for advice or sharing experience.

SNAP!

Alan

Re: I've got the power (outage) - UPS advice needed

January 4th, 2021, 8:07 pm

Well, you can browse amazon for "pure sine wave ups" and search the Q&A for "noise": example

Cuchulainn

January 4th, 2021, 8:49 pm

Is it worth it. Like winter tires, it snows here for about 10 mines  per year.

katastrofa
Topic Author

January 5th, 2021, 12:44 am

Thanks, Alan. The Cyberpower is perfect size, but it's only enough for a quick shutdown. I want to shut down the PC and still have some juice to supply a router and a laptop.

I've been browsing websites (APC, Tripp Lite, Cyberpower and Eaton - all quality brands I know), reading reviews and forums for a couple of days. And got only more confused. For instance, is the approximated sine really such a big problem (probably differs from brand to brand)? Does an innocent laptop really take as much power as indicated on its power supply?

Just hoping someone here experienced a similar problem and willing to trade the solution for a thank you.

Btw, I thought the Wi-Fi antenna for the 4G Internet was static, but it has its power supply... Too complicated for me. In London it came from the cable and power outage forecasts were 100% accurate! ;-)

bearish

January 5th, 2021, 1:27 am

Sorry - I don’t have anything useful to contribute on the technology front, but happy to see that Alan is back. Since you mention your hytte, I trust you’re familiar with The Cabin by Ylvis. I tried to post a link, but YouTube doesn’t like me.

katastrofa
Topic Author

January 5th, 2021, 9:29 am

Oh, yeah! I feel it!

And the winner is: CyberPower CP1500EPFCLCD