Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

farmer
Topic Author

visual editing tools and text folding triggers

August 13th, 2022, 2:53 pm

I am writing a document that is not a program. It is very large with a lot of sections. Normally I am able to remember exactly where everything is. But right now I have an ear infection which has made me less able to think about the whole layout. As a result I am trying to use a code editor Notepad++, to achieve that feature where it automatically creates spinners to open and close sections of text by clicking the left border.

I am editing a .txt file and I don't want to change that. I tried inserting parentheses into my text, to see if it would then give me the option to hide paragraphs. It did not work.

LIST OF THINGS I ATE FOR LUNCH THIS WEEK
{
apples
oranges
cows
}

Is there some way I can use # to trigger this functionality editing a text file?

#LIST OF FAVORITE DOGS
barky
bitey
sleepy
#END

I guess this is called code folding and text folding, and is available for non code purposes in some text editors. But I suspect those embed the fold formatting into a file format other than .txt rather than triggering it with keywords or operators.

farmer
Topic Author

Re: visual editing tools and text folding triggers

August 13th, 2022, 3:21 pm

Customizable folding triggers are available in "atom-folding" but I have no idea how to install that and would prefer if someone knows how to trigger it in Notepad++

farmer
Topic Author

Re: visual editing tools and text folding triggers

August 13th, 2022, 3:33 pm

I figured out how to do it in Notepad++. You select a language from the LANGUAGE dropdown tab. Then it recognizes squiggly braces as spinners.