Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

Re: FIVE hundred years from now: can you predict the Software Landscape in anno 2525?

June 6th, 2021, 8:39 am

I did read the whole Dijkstra speech, and it is certainly a lot more coherent in context than the list of bullet points you excerpted. Not sure if I agree with his points, but it has been my experience in a quant finance context that CS majors lack in practical programming skills relative to computer engineers or (in particular) EE majors.
Sapir-Whorf linguistic relativity in action; the best developers I trained were EE, they think in block diagrams. CS education teaches other skills.

It is succintly put here
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=99650&sid=9282ed1d ... f223b4e143

But whoever wrote it was an extremely clever programmer! My ultimate recommendation is to resist hiring programmers who are lingustic circus acts. Because their stuff doesn't work and is impossible to work on.
вот мой дорогой двоюродный брат

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

Re: FIVE hundred years from now: can you predict the Software Landscape in anno 2525?

July 5th, 2021, 10:35 am

"This is why marketing people rebranded if-statements to decision trees with advanced heuristics and REGEX is now NLP."

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

August 1st, 2022, 9:37 pm

Google calls on staff to boost productivity with "simplicity sprints"

https://www.itpro.co.uk/development/agi ... ty-sprints

Essentially, the "Simplicity Sprint" initiative is about crowdsourcing ideas for quicker product development from within the company. The term sprint is synonymous with software development for accelerating or collectively pushing towards a common goal.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

October 11th, 2022, 10:46 am

• I just want to say one word to you. 
  • Just one word.
  • Yes, sir.
  • Are you listening?
  • Yes, I am.
  • Concepts.
  • Exactly how do you mean?
  • There's a great future in C++ Concepts. 
  • Think about it. 
  • Will you think about it?

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

November 21st, 2022, 11:36 am

Swan song

From 2014 to 2021, Kite was a startup using AI to help developers write code. We have stopped working on Kite, and are no longer supporting the Kite software.
https://www.kite.com/blog/product/kite- ... -farewell/

We can’t wait for AI to revolutionize programming. Computers are so magical; it will be amazing to experience a step-function increase in what they can do for us.

While Kite was a pioneering startup in this area, we were not the company to land it. That’s not the outcome we were hoping for when we started, but we celebrate the courage and contributions from everyone who made the experiment happen.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

November 21st, 2022, 11:39 am

I think Kite forgot the customer, or were unable to find a real product?

// Computers are dumb.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

November 22nd, 2022, 9:52 pm

Amazon Alexa is a “colossal failure,” on pace to lose $10 billion this year
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/11 ... this-year/

That's some achievement..

"More software projects have gone awry for lack of calendar time than for all other causes combined. Why is this cause of disaster so common?"
Fred Brooks

DavidJN

November 23rd, 2022, 3:05 pm

Nothing will ever beat this, not even worth trying:

World’s richest man decides to set $44 billion on fire
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/11/03/elon-musk-twitter-advertisers-content-moderation/

As far as software projects go, 30+ years on the front lines of mostly revenue-generating finance has led me to the conclusion that "professional IT project management" is the biggest enemy, just another of the non-revenue generating groups attempting to extort value from pluralistic corporations by replacing output as the focus of project management with expensive process. In the last major IT project at a bank that I was involved with, the project managers plainly did not understand the aims of the project and wanted everyone involved to spend so much of their time filling out forms describing what little they actually accomplished. 

The general theme of post-Enlightenment management going off the rails due self-interested specialization was developed by the Canadian polymath John Ralston Saul in his monstrous tome Voltaire's Bastards - The Dictatorship of Reason in the West. Saul refers to disastrous management cock-ups in military history as a unifying theme describing how the potential of the Enlightenment was to a growing extent wasted as self-interested groups chained down progress with process as a means of extracting value from shareholders. This book is large and dense, and a rather comical, smaller second book came out of it - The Doubter's Companion - a dictionary of aggressive common sense, my nominee for the most important bathroom book ever written. The first sentence for the entry for the word "bankers" is something like - "Pillars of society who are going to burn in hell if there is a God and he has been accurately quoted". The entry for the word "Marxist" is a lulu, find out who the real Marxists are today.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

November 24th, 2022, 11:39 am

I agree. IT these days is driven by fashion ("look at ne"). There was a time when software development was business-driven.
Mid 90s it went skew, why

1. outsourcing.
2. who wants to work when you can become rich by buying and selling property.
3. people sat on their assets.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on November 24th, 2022, 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

November 24th, 2022, 11:40 am

Programming Language Wars

https://cs.wellesley.edu/~cs251/f17/assignments/antics/StefixHanenbergLanguageWars.pdf

IT is full of sectarian strife.