Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Traden4Alpha

Three years from now: can you predict the Software Landscape in anno 2018?

January 27th, 2016, 11:48 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnThis is the wayTechnically it's two ways although perhaps someone will sneak in a third way. ;)I don't see this happening anymore; we are in the era of commodity software and outsourcing. It is not in their interest to structure/decompose systems into loosely coupled system, too little/few maintenance and bug fixes is detrimental (see my ERP analogy).Ergo.For every solution they will find a problem.Hmmm... To me, it looks more like the decomposed system approach has won. Everything is plug-n-play: a hundred thousand different apps tap into dozens of decoupled OS system services which communicate with thousands of types of peripherals that use dozens of standardized interfaces (USB, ethernet, WiFi, Bluetooth, SATA, PCI, etc.).It may be in the vendor's interest to create lock-in (e.g., the olden days of IBM when hardware, software, & peripherals all came from one source), but that kind of integration can't keep pace with all the innovations progressing in all the different streams of technology development.I don't agree. it only looks that way. The process is much more ad-hic and idiosyncratic.We also need to distinguish between market-driven products (which you see in consumer products0 and let's say large government products.You are absolute right about ad-hoc & idiosyncratic. Whether it's the ad-hoc version of OOP or the ad-hoc version of structured probably depends on when & where the lead architect went to school. And any attempt to do either OOP or structured the "right way" tends to go out the window when delays & overruns hit the project.There's also the the issue (with ERP especially) that tight coupling in software sometimes reflects the nature of the problem more so than the design choices in the solution. If the physical system has tight coupling between parts, the software probably will too. (It's a separate issue whether organizations and other physical systems should be designed top-down or with OOP.)

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

January 27th, 2016, 11:51 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnThis is the wayTechnically it's two ways although perhaps someone will sneak in a third way. ;)I don't see this happening anymore; we are in the era of commodity software and outsourcing. It is not in their interest to structure/decompose systems into loosely coupled system, too little/few maintenance and bug fixes is detrimental (see my ERP analogy).Ergo.For every solution they will find a problem.Hmmm... To me, it looks more like the decomposed system approach has won. Everything is plug-n-play: a hundred thousand different apps tap into dozens of decoupled OS system services which communicate with thousands of types of peripherals that use dozens of standardized interfaces (USB, ethernet, WiFi, Bluetooth, SATA, PCI, etc.).It may be in the vendor's interest to create lock-in (e.g., the olden days of IBM when hardware, software, & peripherals all came from one source), but that kind of integration can't keep pace with all the innovations progressing in all the different streams of technology development.I don't agree. it only looks that way. The process is much more ad-hic and idiosyncratic.We also need to distinguish between market-driven products (which you see in consumer products0 and let's say large government products.You are absolute right about ad-hoc & idiosyncratic. Whether it's the ad-hoc version of OOP or the ad-hoc version of structured probably depends on when & where the lead architect went to school. And any attempt to do either OOP or structured the "right way" tends to go out the window when delays & overruns hit the project.There's also the the issue (with ERP especially) that tight coupling in software sometimes reflects the nature of the problem more so than the design choices in the solution. If the physical system has tight coupling between parts, the software probably will too. (It's a separate issue whether organizations and other physical systems should be designed top-down or with OOP.)I agree.,ERP (discrete manufacturing paradigm) tends not to work with 'analog'/process application.And CS has a very bad memory. Ask them who Dijkstra was and they tell you goalkeeper for FC Groningen.. CS is not a science.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on January 26th, 2016, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

January 27th, 2016, 6:11 pm

QuoteTo me, it looks more like the decomposed system approach has wonDepends on who you talk to.But it's the combination that is the right approach it seems. SA for high level decomposition and all the nice "qualities' and then objects for low-level stuff.It's so obvious that no one sees it or can express it. It's like a Tower of Babel. QuoteThe story has been widely understood to tell of a miraculous intervention by which different languages were introduced and the population thus became unable to understand one another. But it must be noted that the different groups among not only the Japhethites and Chamites, 10:5,20, but also among the Semites, 10:31,
Last edited by Cuchulainn on January 26th, 2016, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

January 28th, 2016, 8:50 am

Will Scrum and Agile be with us in 2019, T4A?

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

January 28th, 2016, 10:20 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: outrunThat's at a different scale, at local development. I think the biggest trend has been specialized SAS and standardized protocol that these SAS supplier provide like JSON REST API's. If you want to build a webpage with an interactive map on it then it'll take 1 minute. The same goes for writing an admin pane that lets you start and stop extra servers in the cloud. All these services can be easily integrated and controlled via APIs across the web.What's the take on Scrum?

tags

January 28th, 2016, 10:38 am

Cuch will have a comma key.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

January 28th, 2016, 11:17 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: tagomaCuch will have a comma key.It is deprecated but your code will run in this version.

Traden4Alpha

January 28th, 2016, 12:07 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnWill Scrum and Agile be with us in 2019, T4A?Of course! Everything humanity ever creates stays with us. We're hoarders by nature and there's always old codgers holding on to ancient things, young folk going retro, and cases where obscure method X really does work in corner case Y.I bet some people will still use Windows in 2019.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

January 28th, 2016, 1:52 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: outrunQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnWill Scrum and Agile be with us in 2019, T4A?Of course! Everything humanity ever creates stays with us. We're hoarders by nature and there's always old codgers holding on to ancient things, young folk going retro, and cases where obscure method X really does work in corner case Y.I bet some people will still use Windows in 2019...and retro COBOLLong after that. Just like monarchies, we keep them because they have always been there and we are afraid of the dark.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on January 27th, 2016, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

January 28th, 2016, 2:13 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnWill Scrum and Agile be with us in 2019, T4A?Of course! Everything humanity ever creates stays with us. We're hoarders by nature and there's always old codgers holding on to ancient things, young folk going retro, and cases where obscure method X really does work in corner case Y.I bet some people will still use Windows in 2019.Somehow I get the impression you don't like Windows. Why? Should we all buy iphones and be done with it?BTW you will need to convince all the AutoCAD users! good luck on your mission. // I don't know if you are just trying to be flippant or what but migrating legacy systems to Apple Nirvana is hugely expensive.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on January 27th, 2016, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Traden4Alpha

January 28th, 2016, 4:31 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnWill Scrum and Agile be with us in 2019, T4A?Of course! Everything humanity ever creates stays with us. We're hoarders by nature and there's always old codgers holding on to ancient things, young folk going retro, and cases where obscure method X really does work in corner case Y.I bet some people will still use Windows in 2019.Somehow I get the impression you don't like Windows. Why? Should we all buy iphones and be done with it?BTW you will need to convince all the AutoCAD users! good luck on your mission. // I don't know if you are just trying to be flippant or what but migrating legacy systems to Apple Nirvana is hugely expensive.As much as I'd love everyone to buy iPhones, iMacs, iPads, and all that Apple goodness, I doubt it will happen.The cost barriers to migrating to another platform is much lower than you think for four reasons: 1. The vast majority of the world has nothing to migrate from so they are free to pick whatever they want.2. The move toward cloud & SaaS is making the platform of the end-user device increasingly irrelevant -- as long as the device has a web browser, it's compatible with a lot of stuff.3. The rapid evolution of security threats, evolving online services, and Microsoft's attempts to keep up with it all are pushing migration which opens people up to switching or realizing they don't need a PC.4. New hardware is cheap!The world economy has grown quite a bit in the last few years and yet PC sales have sunk. At the moment, it looks like Android is supplanting Windows in the end-user platform space.P.S. AutoCAD is available on the iPad
Last edited by Traden4Alpha on January 28th, 2016, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

January 28th, 2016, 11:36 pm

The end of an era.QuoteIf you've studied C++ any time in the past 25 years, you've probably read something by Scott Meyers. He wrote Effective C++, regarded by many as one of the top two books for learning to work with the language. He also wrote similar books about changes in C++11 and C++14, as well as making good use of the Standard Template Library. He's been a seemingly endless source of instructional videos, articles, and helpful answers on Usenet and StackOverflow. Unfortunately for us, Meyers has now decided to move on. "25 years after publication of my first academic papers involving C++, I'm retiring from active involvement with the language. It's a good time for it. My job is explaining C++ and how to use it, but the C++ explanation biz is bustling. ... My voice is dropping out, but a great chorus will continue." Thanks for all the help, Scott.No more "items'.