Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

Three years from now: can you predict the Software Landscape in anno 2018?

September 25th, 2015, 10:56 am

Rust

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

December 7th, 2015, 2:43 pm

From a poster on quantnet,com QuoteI don't agree with you. C or Java or C# are the most professional around. C++ has too many issues and that's why people don't use it for new projects. The new changes to the C++ standard came a little too late too.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on December 6th, 2015, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

December 8th, 2015, 6:18 pm

QuoteI'm working for a bit at a bank now.. At least I try... On a PC...Have you tried regedit yet?

Traden4Alpha

December 8th, 2015, 6:37 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: outrunI'm working for a bit at a bank now.. At least I try... On a PC...So far (week 1) I've spend at least 25% (honestly!) of the clients time talking to their IT service desk, hours per day.... I want to use google so that I can collect info I need. It's one big mean revering MC search looking for the answer, they call me, I call them...Today an admin tried something remote on my machine and left a dos box open with admin right.One of them asked if wanted to check it the network cable was in the PC,... while on chat...Anyway, it's a good excesise for typing fast on your iPhone.Next week they plan to upgrade internet explorer. What can possibly go wrong.Condolences! This admin/troubleshooting burden is a big reason why the inventor of the PC (IBM) switched to Macs. PCs generate 8X the support calls and about 40X the support labor of Macs.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

December 9th, 2015, 3:28 pm

QuoteThat what the admin tried when he took over my machine and left the dosbox open with admin credentials. I saw him click open and close again all sort of tree segments. Adding keys that didn't solve it, but he didn't remove then later.At the time they wanted NT to be like VAX/VMS. Where and why did it go wrong?

Traden4Alpha

January 13th, 2016, 11:43 am

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

January 26th, 2016, 7:57 pm

This is the way

Traden4Alpha

January 26th, 2016, 8:06 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnThis is the wayTechnically it's two ways although perhaps someone will sneak in a third way. ;)

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

January 26th, 2016, 8:15 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnThis is the wayTechnically it's two ways although perhaps someone will sneak in a third way. ;)I don't see this happening anymore; we are in the era of commodity software and outsourcing. It is not in their interest to structure/decompose systems into loosely coupled system, too little/few maintenance and bug fixes is detrimental (see my ERP analogy).Ergo.For every solution they will find a problem.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on January 25th, 2016, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Traden4Alpha

January 26th, 2016, 10:20 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnThis is the wayTechnically it's two ways although perhaps someone will sneak in a third way. ;)I don't see this happening anymore; we are in the era of commodity software and outsourcing. It is not in their interest to structure/decompose systems into loosely coupled system, too little/few maintenance and bug fixes is detrimental (see my ERP analogy).Ergo.For every solution they will find a problem.Hmmm... To me, it looks more like the decomposed system approach has won. Everything is plug-n-play: a hundred thousand different apps tap into dozens of decoupled OS system services which communicate with thousands of types of peripherals that use dozens of standardized interfaces (USB, ethernet, WiFi, Bluetooth, SATA, PCI, etc.).It may be in the vendor's interest to create lock-in (e.g., the olden days of IBM when hardware, software, & peripherals all came from one source), but that kind of integration can't keep pace with all the innovations progressing in all the different streams of technology development.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

January 27th, 2016, 10:35 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnThis is the wayTechnically it's two ways although perhaps someone will sneak in a third way. ;)I don't see this happening anymore; we are in the era of commodity software and outsourcing. It is not in their interest to structure/decompose systems into loosely coupled system, too little/few maintenance and bug fixes is detrimental (see my ERP analogy).Ergo.For every solution they will find a problem.Hmmm... To me, it looks more like the decomposed system approach has won. Everything is plug-n-play: a hundred thousand different apps tap into dozens of decoupled OS system services which communicate with thousands of types of peripherals that use dozens of standardized interfaces (USB, ethernet, WiFi, Bluetooth, SATA, PCI, etc.).It may be in the vendor's interest to create lock-in (e.g., the olden days of IBM when hardware, software, & peripherals all came from one source), but that kind of integration can't keep pace with all the innovations progressing in all the different streams of technology development.I don't agree. it only looks that way. The process is much more ad-hic and idiosyncratic.We also need to distinguish between market-driven products (which you see in consumer products0 and let's say large government products.