SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

Three years from now: can you predict the Software Landscape in anno 2018?

September 2nd, 2005, 9:01 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: lballabioQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnIs there a trend to get the design right first-time as in chip design.I see two difficulties with it:a) I might be wrong, but my impression is that any non-trivial software project is more complex than chip design. Also, it has complexity at several levels, e.g. both at the bird's eye view level and in the details (where the devil often is.)b) getting the design right first-time requires having precise specifications up-front. This hardly ever happens, as specs tend to evolve in time. Designing in order to allow for change is a most difficult task---especially as changes often takes unexpected directions...LuigiOk, Can we come to a compromise? Instead of hacking away from time t = 0? Between highly formalised approach to highly 'dynamic' approach?

madmax

September 2nd, 2005, 9:08 am

QuoteOk, Can we come to a compromise? Instead of hacking away from time t = 0? Between highly formalised approach to highly 'dynamic' approach? Isn't it what is already done ?

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

September 2nd, 2005, 9:11 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: madmaxQuoteOk, Can we come to a compromise? Instead of hacking away from time t = 0? Between highly formalised approach to highly 'dynamic' approach? Isn't it what is already done ?Between Luigia and moi? Or in general?
Last edited by Cuchulainn on September 1st, 2005, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

madmax

September 2nd, 2005, 9:20 am

I wouldn't say in general, but it seems experts are in this category getting a decent balance between design efforts and reactivity. All others are trying hard to get there, but I believe that is at least the goal that every serious person dealing with programming is looking for.

lballabio

September 2nd, 2005, 9:32 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: DCFCI do slightly part company on dynamically typed languages as being mainstream any time soon. Not because they are bad, but because they stress out the average programmer too much.I'm not sure I understand. Can you elaborate?However, I somewhat agree about them not taking QF by storm any time soon---although they're rapidly becoming mainstream in other sectors, such as web development. If the gentlemen in the language-independent thread had chosen Plone (based on Python) or Ruby on Rails, their bikini store would be up and running already.Also, one might not want such languages to become mainstream, so that one's competitors don't use them Paul Graham's "Beating the averages" is the interesting tale of how his company managed to reduce immensely their time-to-market, thus outdeveloping competitors. How? They used a little-known language called Lisp...

lballabio

September 2nd, 2005, 9:33 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnOk, Can we come to a compromise? Instead of hacking away from time t = 0? Between highly formalised approach to highly 'dynamic' approach?I thought it was called "thinking before coding"

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

September 2nd, 2005, 10:21 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: lballabioQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnOk, Can we come to a compromise? Instead of hacking away from time t = 0? Between highly formalised approach to highly 'dynamic' approach?I thought it was called "thinking before coding" What's that?

N

September 2nd, 2005, 12:37 pm

Guys,Who cares. In ten years, I'm sure all software will be outsourced to India.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

September 2nd, 2005, 2:04 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: NGuys,Who cares. In ten years, I'm sure all software will be outsourced to India.Nwould you be Indian by any chanceActually, read today that ABN/AMRO to outsource all IT to 5 vendors, 2 of which are Indian.IBMInfosysTataAccenturePatniReason of ABN: PRICE, not pretty product modelsThe big question is if and when not only technology will be outsourced but also business. When will we see the next Indian Bill Gates?
Last edited by Cuchulainn on September 1st, 2005, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

September 2nd, 2005, 3:18 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: NGuys,Who cares. In ten years, I'm sure all software will be outsourced to India.NSend me a card

Tone

September 2nd, 2005, 11:16 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnAny brave men or women who would like to tell what things will look like within a period of 5 years (say to 2010)?there will be more abstraction. Software is fundamentally creative and as soon as things get repeated enough they get put into libraries like stl or the libraries that ship with C#, Java etc. We had well understood data structures and algorithms and they got encoded into libraries and no-one's done that in quite the same way with patterns yet. ie a way of incorporating patterns into programming in a way that's more fundamental than code generation. Then the game will move onto the things that haven't been solved yet. The downside of this is that although a whole lot more people will use the new abstractions that have been created, many of them won't have a clue how it works under the covers and will produce fundamentally botched code. Plus ca change.Tone.

lballabio

September 5th, 2005, 12:15 pm

As for dynamic languages becoming mainstream: this page lists the number of projects per language at the Sourceforge site.I openly admit that it's a biased sample---they're all open-source projects, so they don't give any hints about industry penetration---and that it's of course impossible to detect any trends with a single point in time. But it might be interesting to see what languages programmers use when they are left free to choose their tools. They should be the experts, after all...Luigi

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

September 5th, 2005, 1:51 pm

> But it might be interesting to see what languages programmers use when they are left free to choose their tools. They should be the experts, after all...Oh no, that would not be a good idea! I am not saying that all managers make better decisions.I have worked in this environment for many's a year and I have seen that in general programmers like cool tools. Software is just a tool, that's all. It's what you do with it that makes the difference. C++ is just a tool etc.Of course, mgt. decision without involvement of IT staff is also not good. You should strive for Nash equilibrium: good for me AND good for the group.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on September 4th, 2005, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

September 5th, 2005, 2:23 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ToneQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnAny brave men or women who would like to tell what things will look like within a period of 5 years (say to 2010)?there will be more abstraction. Software is fundamentally creative and as soon as things get repeated enough they get put into libraries like stl or the libraries that ship with C#, Java etc. We had well understood data structures and algorithms and they got encoded into libraries and no-one's done that in quite the same way with patterns yet. ie a way of incorporating patterns into programming in a way that's more fundamental than code generation. Then the game will move onto the things that haven't been solved yet. The downside of this is that although a whole lot more people will use the new abstractions that have been created, many of them won't have a clue how it works under the covers and will produce fundamentally botched code. Plus ca change.Tone.IMO the uptake of libraries is a bit slow. Compare this to Fortran in the later half of the last century.

N

September 5th, 2005, 2:25 pm

Of course, mgt. decision without involvement of IT staff is also not good.Software engineers don't like being called 'IT staff'.You should strive for Nash equilibrium: good for me AND good for the group.My IT staff calls this 'win-win'.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On