SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

Wireless Internet, sometimes it works and sometimes not

August 20th, 2007, 11:30 am

I am having an annoying problem: wifi connection loses contact quite often, it would seem that my neighbour is the cause. Seeing that he is 7' tall I would then prefer to solve the problem in software.Q: Is there a way to configure a connection that does not interfere with other connections?

quantmeh

August 20th, 2007, 1:10 pm

change channel

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

August 20th, 2007, 1:13 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: jawabeanchange channelis that the solution? how?

quantmeh

August 20th, 2007, 1:23 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: jawabeanchange channelis that the solution? how?try it. sometimes it works. by default it's always 11. change it to 7, e.g.also, i noticed that sometimes 2.4GHz phones and microwaves may interfere.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

August 20th, 2007, 1:27 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: jawabeanQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: jawabeanchange channelis that the solution? how?try it. sometimes it works. by default it's always 11. change it to 7, e.g.also, i noticed that sometimes 2.4GHz phones and microwaves may interfere.Ok, but do I need to open some dialog box? So, which utility do I need to start up?

quantmeh

August 20th, 2007, 1:33 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnOk, but do I need to open some dialog box? So, which utility do I need to start up?i assumed that u have a router at home. in that case u have to run its admin utility and change the channel there. if u have a different setup, then explain what is it. r u stealing ur neighbors WiFi?

mrowell

August 20th, 2007, 1:46 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnI am having an annoying problem: wifi connection loses contact quite often, it would seem that my neighbour is the cause. Seeing that he is 7' tall I would then prefer to solve the problem in software.Q: Is there a way to configure a connection that does not interfere with other connections?Yes, but... I have a house that is old so solid brick walls and wireless does not work from the front of the house (where my router is) to the back (where the office is).. hence I ended up using mains borne Ethernet... a company called Devolo makes these thing that you plug into your mains near your PC (unless of course you have a laptop and you need wireless) and connect it to you rPC with a regular ethernet cable & another one of these things next to your router.. works like a charm, not config needed and you can get upto 200mb (provided your house wiring is up to scratch)..

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

August 20th, 2007, 1:48 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: jawabeanQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnOk, but do I need to open some dialog box? So, which utility do I need to start up?i assumed that u have a router at home. in that case u have to run its admin utility and change the channel there. if u have a different setup, then explain what is it. r u stealing ur neighbors WiFi? I have a modem box on one machine and that's the router I suppose. Will have a look. Thanks.I was looking at the 'client' laptop but that is incorrect by the sounds of it.

farmer

August 20th, 2007, 5:36 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnI am having an annoying problem: wifiHave you tried paying money? The other day I drove 50 miles over a bridge over a bay and through two cities with two 700 megabyte no-retry ftp downloads running on two laptops at once. Neither blinked, and the downloads finished right about when I got home.
Last edited by farmer on August 19th, 2007, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

quantmeh

August 20th, 2007, 5:38 pm

i wonder if anyone tried WiFi or some other sort of broadband in amtrak train between NYC and DC

Traden4Alpha

August 21st, 2007, 1:25 am

If the channel trick does not work, then you might try moving/reorienting the antenna on the WAP or the laptop. The best orientation is likely to be such that the angle of the basestation antenna matches that of the laptop's screen (which is where laptops hide such frippery). Of course ultra high frequency RF is about as inscrutable as the financial markets, so you might find that some other position works better than the logical one. And if that does not work, you can always cover the walls between you and your 7 foot tall neighbor with aluminum foil for a cheap and decorative option!

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

August 21st, 2007, 7:48 am

Trad,Unfortunately, I was unable to find any utility on Window Control Panel that allowed me to modify a channel. Should I be looking somewhere else ?Jawabean, farmer,For the record I bought the s/w and h/w legally. Did you guys think I was hogging the neighbour's resources?
Last edited by Cuchulainn on August 20th, 2007, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Traden4Alpha

August 21st, 2007, 10:31 am

Cuch, the controls you seek are probably on a web page hosted by the wireless base station. You can usually reach it by going to http://192.168.1.1 or something like that (the last digit of the IP address might be something else depending on how your network is configured). If in doubt, do a traceroute on any packet going through the wireless basestation and it's address should be one of the first hops. At the base station's "web site" you will find a set of pages that let you configure the wireless router. If it asks you for a password and you don't know it (and have never changed it), then do a bit of googling for the factory default password (and change that password becasue in it's default state, your 7 ft neighbor can log in to your basestation for fun and profit!!!).

quantmeh

August 21st, 2007, 1:46 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnDid you guys think I was hogging the neighbour's resources? absolutely. that's a preferred way to access broadband internet, imho

quantmeh

August 21st, 2007, 1:48 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaCuch, the controls you seek are probably on a web page hosted by the wireless base station. You can usually reach it by going to http://192.168.1.1 or something like that (the last digit of the IP address might be something else depending on how your network is configured). he can do ipconfig to see what's the gateway, and that's usually the address of his router. then it can be 192.168.11.1 and https with a password
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On