SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Cuchulainn

Speed testing between C++, C# and VB

September 23rd, 2015, 2:52 pm

QuoteAt slashdot you need to look at the "type" of comment, the Oracle Lawsuit was ranked "Funny" i.e. the guy was joking... 90% of comments on slashdot are inside jokes...So, if you are not 'inside' you can't take it seriously. I suppose it beats the p*ssing contests. Just like our politicians :D All hot air.BTW surprising they use any (you don't like it?) and no multiprecision??
Last edited by Cuchulainn on September 22nd, 2015, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn

September 24th, 2015, 10:18 am

The advantage of any is that you can put anything into it. Getting the correct type that is hiding in an any object demands some kind of dynamic cast, so they probably need a repository/catalogue of types in the system.

dd3

September 25th, 2015, 12:39 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: outrun a complete C++ rewrite of Cassandra (popular OS NoSQL DB) is 10x fasterLooking at the responses, some people think it's a lie. I thought the Java/C language wars were over.Chances are the Java code was written some time ago and it needed a face lift anyways.But 10 times fast means something funny is going on, because C++is certainly not 10 times faster. But maybe they have some clever algorithm.And do they say how many man-years effort' they put into it?I was unable to find info on _why_ it is faster.This is interesting (kind of what one could expect)QuoteOracle has just launched a new series of patent infringement lawsuits. Oracle allegations include reverse engineering Java to improve the speed of applications like Cassandra, benchmarking Java without permission. They are seeking an immediate cease and desist order, in addition to immediate financial relief for sustaining PPS (More commonly known as Poopy Pants Syndrome.).lawsuit .. hmmm, it will fast in court :DWe're looking at this for our HTTP servers. I believe a large part of the speed up comes from not using the default Linux TCP/IP stack.

Cuchulainn

September 26th, 2015, 8:02 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: dd3QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: outrun a complete C++ rewrite of Cassandra (popular OS NoSQL DB) is 10x fasterLooking at the responses, some people think it's a lie. I thought the Java/C language wars were over.Chances are the Java code was written some time ago and it needed a face lift anyways.But 10 times fast means something funny is going on, because C++is certainly not 10 times faster. But maybe they have some clever algorithm.And do they say how many man-years effort' they put into it?I was unable to find info on _why_ it is faster.This is interesting (kind of what one could expect)QuoteOracle has just launched a new series of patent infringement lawsuits. Oracle allegations include reverse engineering Java to improve the speed of applications like Cassandra, benchmarking Java without permission. They are seeking an immediate cease and desist order, in addition to immediate financial relief for sustaining PPS (More commonly known as Poopy Pants Syndrome.).lawsuit .. hmmm, it will fast in court :DWe're looking at this for our HTTP servers. I believe a large part of the speed up comes from not using the default Linux TCP/IP stack.So, it has little to do with the relative merits of C++ compared to Java. BTW does asio use the OS-based stack?
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On