SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

garyng
Topic Author

Fincad Vs PowerPlus Pro

March 9th, 2009, 12:11 am

Hi,I am currently evaluating these two softwares for mark-to-market pricing of a range of products e.g. - FX - MM - Commodities /Derivatives - Swaps /Swaptions - ABS - CDS...etc.In the past, I read that Fincad could be very slow in Monte Carlo simulation of CDOs. Any comments/things to look out for?

BenSuperD

Fincad Vs PowerPlus Pro

March 10th, 2009, 11:28 am

You may explore SuperDerivatives as a solution, if you register for a free trial, you can get an independent valuation as a service along with an extremely flexible analysis tool for mark to market across all of those asset classes, simply click on http://www.superderivatives.com/registration.aspx

benclum

Fincad Vs PowerPlus Pro

March 10th, 2009, 1:55 pm

FINCAD covers all the asset classes you mention. I would encourage you to contact their support group. They are most helpful.Ben Clum

rmeenaks

Fincad Vs PowerPlus Pro

March 10th, 2009, 3:10 pm

Download the fully-enabled 7-day trial and check it out yourself...http://www.fincad.comRam

DavidJN

Fincad Vs PowerPlus Pro

March 10th, 2009, 3:18 pm

Sounds like we have a couple of software sales guys posting here! No disrespect meant, mind you, just a guess and maybe a wrong one. Who the chap needs to hear from is from users and their experiences, not vendors. I've worked with both systems and am not fond of either, always preferring the do-it-yourself solution. What about market data, live or otherwise? Is that part of your decision criteria?

Cuchulainn

Fincad Vs PowerPlus Pro

March 10th, 2009, 4:08 pm

Monte Carlo is slow, no matter what. Unless you port the code to MT or GPU.

garyng
Topic Author

Fincad Vs PowerPlus Pro

March 11th, 2009, 5:06 am

DavidJN,DIY is preferrable but it is not an option with my boss. We do get real time market data feed which could be fed into the pricing software. Could you shed more light as to why you are not fond of either? Is it difficult to use or poor coverage or slow performance? Does Ad-fin support MC modeling? I am still browsing thru' the documentation. Thanks.
Last edited by garyng on March 10th, 2009, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

garyng
Topic Author

Fincad Vs PowerPlus Pro

March 11th, 2009, 5:12 am

Cuchulainn,I agree MC is slow no matter what. But I want to get a feel of general user experiences as to how these off-the-shelf products stack up when it comes to pricing a portfolio of products including FX, MM, CDOs...etc. It is part of the criteria in evaluating which product to use.Thanks.

DavidJN

Fincad Vs PowerPlus Pro

March 12th, 2009, 4:28 pm

I think the most useful purpose of an add-in is to be able to implement reliable computations in a flexible, efficient manner. By flexible I mean easy to use, occupying minimum spreadsheet area and amenable to a variety of different spreadsheet construction styles and logics. By efficient I mean fast in terms of computation. From my personal experience I find FinCad (and MBRM for that matter) remarkably convoluted to use. To do something as simple as building a zero curve requires such a large spreadsheet area with so many parts that it is possibly less compact than you could achieve doing it yourself manually on the spreadsheet forgetting any add-in. Because of the complexity I would imagine many users ending up using the provided templates, which means you get stuck into their logic as to how to build spreadsheets. This is just one opinion and with any luck you will receive many. Other writers in these forums have described certain FinCad calculations as slow and Reuters as opaque in terms of documentation and client service. Nothing is perfect, that is for sure.

DERIRSFX

Fincad Vs PowerPlus Pro

March 19th, 2009, 5:21 pm

there are several players out there to choose from...you have the big ones like sungard, murex, ferential systems, great companies but also very expensive solution. FinCad is a smaller company, if you think that it is very slow, try to check out Finrad, they are based in Montreal, they provide trade management systems, they are a one stop shop when it comes to technology and finance and claim they are flexible yet robust and fast...Financial Software Systems is another one, they focus on treasury and capital markets operation...
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On