Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

gauravkumar2
Topic Author

Table of content in LATEX

September 24th, 2009, 7:44 am

I am typing my thesis in LATEX and I am able to put table of content, but it gives automated numbers. I donot want this I want Chapter1, Chapter2 instead. Please help me in this.RegardsGaurav

zeta

September 24th, 2009, 11:29 am

your school should give you a style file, which handles this. If not, most are based on stanford, I would check it out -> http://help-csli.stanford.edu/tex/suthesis/. Failing these options, book class labels sections as chapters, you could try that(?)

FaridMoussaoui

September 24th, 2009, 12:18 pm

Zeta is right. At least for large scale users of latex, mathematicians, there is a standard format for writing thesis.I never seen a TOC as you asked for books or thesis. But you can do that easily. I imagine that youare using the "report" class format (report.cls file). I assume also that you are skilled enough to work on Linux.Make a local copy of "report.cls" file and change like this in the chapter definition\def\@chapter[#1]#2{\ifnum \c@secnumdepth >\m@ne \refstepcounter{chapter}% \typeout{\@chapapp\space\thechapter.}% \addcontentsline{toc}{chapter}% {Chapitrx \protect\numberline{\thechapter}#1}% % I added Chapitrx \else \addcontentsline{toc}{chapter}{#1}% \fi...I attached the table of contents page. Well, I am not able to attach the pdf file. I have a message that the file format I try to upload is not permitted!! (I tried png, jpg too).F.