SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

stonybrooknick
Topic Author

Hiring Experts Critique Programmer's Resume / COBOL Rocks, But There's Not Enough Talent

August 30th, 2012, 2:16 pm

I GOT AN EMAIL FROM DICE THE CAREER WEBSITE WITH THE ABOVE HEADING IS THIS SOME KIND OF SICK JOKE?

Cuchulainn

Hiring Experts Critique Programmer's Resume / COBOL Rocks, But There's Not Enough Talent

August 30th, 2012, 2:55 pm

Why do you think it might be a joke? Edit: The recent 5-week computer system breakdown was not related to C++.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on August 31st, 2012, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Polter

July 15th, 2013, 7:24 pm

The Pentagon's Seven Million Lines of Cobol Quote"A portion of this Reuters article about the Pentagon's inability to manage paying soldiers properly mentions that their payroll program has 'seven million lines of Cobol code that hasn't been updated.' It goes on to mention that the documentation has been lost, and no one really knows how to update it well. In trying to replace the program, the Pentagon spent a billion dollars and wasn't successful."
Last edited by Polter on July 14th, 2013, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn

July 15th, 2013, 7:35 pm

My neighbour and his wife work in their tele-cottage in the hills and do COBOL and JCL day in day out. They say they will have work forever. They were full out when the IT systems failed last years. And they don't like Java.I have an official JSP COBOL programmer certificate believe it or not. BTW Michael Jackson great insights.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on July 14th, 2013, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Polter

July 15th, 2013, 9:53 pm

The Ultimate Job Security?
Last edited by Polter on July 14th, 2013, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn

July 16th, 2013, 6:47 am

Wow, they still use REXX?

DominicConnor

August 6th, 2013, 8:44 pm

Because of my (ahem) position Micros Focus, the biggest supplier in the Cobol market spent some time explaining to me the "shortage" of Cobol developers.They reckon there's 5-10 years guaranteed work and I sort of agree with them, the issue is if you go down that road, what after ?So it's a rational choice if you're in your mid 50s but progressively worse the younger you are.

Cuchulainn

August 12th, 2013, 12:42 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: DominicConnorBecause of my (ahem) position Micros Focus, the biggest supplier in the Cobol market spent some time explaining to me the "shortage" of Cobol developers.They reckon there's 5-10 years guaranteed work and I sort of agree with them, the issue is if you go down that road, what after ?So it's a rational choice if you're in your mid 50s but progressively worse the younger you are.The 50s COBOL folk would shudder at the idea of learning Java, asp, html and its side effects. They could become team leaders Scrum but that is deskilling for them.They can wait for 5-10 years and hope for the best. Then they can become team leaders and mentors for the young 'uns.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on August 11th, 2013, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn

Re: Hiring Experts Critique Programmer's Resume / COBOL Rocks, But There's Not Enough Talent

December 19th, 2016, 7:37 pm

Something outrun and Hansi might be interested

http://www.raincode.com/mainframe-rehos ... oC1Wrw_wcB

Cuchulainn

Re: Hiring Experts Critique Programmer's Resume / COBOL Rocks, But There's Not Enough Talent

September 10th, 2017, 11:38 am

Yale has a new Grace Hopper College

http://gracehopper.yalecollege.yale.edu/

It is estimated that 80% of bank software runs on Cobol. Probably 15% is Java GUI.

kc11415

December 27th, 2017, 1:10 am

I am not yet a COBOL person, but I would not rule it out.

Away from more metropolitan areas I occasionally but repeatedly bump into job reqs seeking COBOL in the mix with more modern languages & API's. 

This seems like a long tail residual effect of the pervasiveness of the IBM mid-range systems (System/36/38, AS/400, eServer iSeries, System i, and then IBM Power Systems with a choice of either AIX, or the latest variant of OS/400 or i5/OS or whatever they are calling it today.) 

I have seen System/36 & AS/400 systems deployed in facilities where there is no SysAdmin and no IT staff, and possibly not even a programmer.  The machines just keep running til a mouse finds a way to burrow inside and make a nest near the warmth of the power supply.  In those environments there might be only a single application but a critical one for the users at that firm, like their ERP system.

I've worked with ERP systems on other platforms, including Unix & Wintel, and the labor headcount to keep those systems running is often costly, especially with the never-ending stream of patches & forced upgrades to be applied.  Then of course is the chronic cat & mouse game of security & anti-virus efforts.  There is something to be said for platforms which do only one thing but do it adequately in a reliable bullet-proof non-labor-intensive manner.

Anyone who thinks COBOL has only 5-10 years left is simply missing the point.  Anyone graduating from college today could build proficiency in COBOL and have that carry them their entire career, assuming that they remain an outlier amongst their cohorts.

Cuchulainn

December 28th, 2017, 11:53 am

Blast from  the past :)
I used to be a  COBOL programmer long ago. What I miss is the line printer output and time to think about design while waiting for the next batch to finish. And real computers.
       IDENTIFICATION DIVISION.
       PROGRAM-ID.     HELLO.
       ENVIRONMENT DIVISION.
        CONFIGURATION SECTION.
       DATA DIVISION.
        WORKING-STORAGE SECTION.
         01 HELLO-MSG PIC X(12).
        LINKAGE SECTION.
       PROCEDURE DIVISION.
           MOVE "Hello World!" TO HELLO-MSG.
           DISPLAY HELLO-MSG
           STOP RUN.
I tried a 101 program just to see if it runs.

I think COBOl will never be replaced. Too risky and too expensive.But less risky than replacing experienced COBOL programmers by next-gen Java folk.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On