Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

daveangel
Topic Author

VBA editor unrequited capitalisation of variable names

April 9th, 2013, 11:28 am

I have a fairly large number of VBA modules and I have noticed that the editor will sometimes and without warning capitalise some of the variable names. Anyone else seen this ? Is there a way to get VBA to stop this ?
knowledge comes, wisdom lingers

Rufus

April 9th, 2013, 12:46 pm

** VBA voodoo alert, what follows may be witchcraft *** Try opening your spreadsheet macros disabled, saving it and then re-opening macros enabled. This sorts out all sorts of excel oddities and also often reduces the file size as a side effect.

tags

April 9th, 2013, 1:08 pm

That happens, whatever the number of modules.That is sometimes helpful, sometimes not.

daveangel
Topic Author

April 9th, 2013, 1:19 pm

let me be clear about what is happening just in case it is not.Lets say I have written a variable spelled as "niter" and that I have used this consistently everywhere. At some other point in time when I re-open the module, this can be spelled NITER without me changing anything.

Rufus

April 9th, 2013, 2:36 pm

I have seen this but I never found a good solution to it. There's some advice here:stackoverflowBeen a while since I coded in vba, but I remember we used to use this on the codebase from time to time: code cleaner(I think this automates the close down and open macros disabled trick). Alternatively - could you switch to C# and use ExcelDna or C++?

Cuchulainn

April 9th, 2013, 6:00 pm

QuoteAlternatively - could you switch to C# and use ExcelDna or C++?ExcelDna very user-friendly.

MaxCohen

April 10th, 2013, 10:45 am

Are you using 'Option Explict' in each module/class/form?If you not then you can not complain if crazy stuff happens. Rule one of VBA is always use 'Option Explicit'! Also ExcelDNA is most probably overkill for most tasks. VBA is more stable and transparent and underrated as a programming tool. ExcelDNA should be a last resort and is certainly not a RAD tool.
Last edited by MaxCohen on April 9th, 2013, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daveangel
Topic Author

April 10th, 2013, 2:08 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: MaxCohenAre you using 'Option Explict' in each module/class/form?If you not then you can not complain if crazy stuff happens. Rule one of VBA is always use 'Option Explicit'! Also ExcelDNA is most probably overkill for most tasks. VBA is more stable and transparent and underrated as a programming tool. ExcelDNA should be a last resort and is certainly not a RAD tool.I am religious about explicit declarations and use of option explicit

MaxCohen

April 10th, 2013, 2:36 pm

What is the scope of variable 'niter'? Is its scope to the project, module or procedure?

daveangel
Topic Author

April 10th, 2013, 2:45 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: MaxCohenWhat is the scope of variable 'niter'? Is its scope to the project, module or procedure?niter is scoped at procedure level. rarely (if ever) use project or module scope.

MaxCohen

April 10th, 2013, 3:12 pm

I have been told it is a procedure thing. At some point somebody has declared NITER as well as niter.E.g. There are 2 modules. Module 1 originally used NITER and module 2 originally used niter. Depending on how the project is opened will depend on how the variable is shown.