Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

outrun

Re: Cool algorithms

March 7th, 2017, 8:10 am

What a great guy he was.

The recently developed time crystal might give a new twist here. If a set of atoms generates a cycle of patterns without consuming any energy, -and if you pick good cycles-, then you can store information in 3D cubes without having to have wires go in. All information will come the surface in an endless loop.

with just 10 atoms you can encode 1024 numbers and encode 1024! = 5.4E2640 different cycles of length 1024. If you encode information in cycles (each different cycles represent a different stored number) then that gives you 8772 bits. Adding just 1 extra atom more than doubles the number of bits you can store. The same 100 million movies could be stores in 51 atom timecrystal! The main challenge is to figure out how to configure the cycle.

Traden4Alpha

March 7th, 2017, 12:18 pm

Good magic!

It reminds me of magnetic bubble memory that circulated bubbles in a special material around a specially-constructed track under the influence of an external oscillating magnet field.

I wonder if it's possible to construct logic gate in a time crystal?

outrun

March 7th, 2017, 12:33 pm

Good magic!

It reminds me of magnetic bubble memory that circulated bubbles in a special material around a specially-constructed track under the influence of an external oscillating magnet field.

I wonder if it's possible to construct logic gate in a time crystal?
Exactly!
If you drop the "cycle must be length 2^n" requirements (which was needed so that you can read the content of the crystal volume from its surface, n number of atoms,.. which is wrong btw *and* which has nice analogies to Verlinde's dark matter entropic force!)  then all possible programs you can construct with any amount of logical gates are nothing more than a single step state mappings from input -> output.

for 10 atoms we have 2^10=1024 states, and each input states need to be mapped to an output state, so there are 1024^2 possible 10 bit binary functions.