SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

rmax
Topic Author

Lotus Notes Hall of Shame

April 24th, 2014, 8:07 am

Sheesh. How does anyone manage their calendar? To book a meeting with somene is bit like trying to defuse an nuclear bomb. You can find the availlable time, but then to select the time that is possible when the various people can do a meeting, you cannot click on the nice graphical representation. Instead you need to memorise when everyone is availlable, and then scroll up through the form to where the date and time selector is, and then change it there.

Cuchulainn

April 24th, 2014, 8:17 am

Slightly off-topic but All In One was good IMO.

Hansi

April 24th, 2014, 7:58 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: rmaxSheesh. How does anyone manage their calendar? To book a meeting with somene is bit like trying to defuse an nuclear bomb. You can find the availlable time, but then to select the time that is possible when the various people can do a meeting, you cannot click on the nice graphical representation. Instead you need to memorise when everyone is availlable, and then scroll up through the form to where the date and time selector is, and then change it there.It's job creation, most people that have a lot of meetings will have a PA Sadly this is a fact where I work not a joke.

rmax
Topic Author

April 25th, 2014, 6:34 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: HansiQuoteOriginally posted by: rmaxSheesh. How does anyone manage their calendar? To book a meeting with somene is bit like trying to defuse an nuclear bomb. You can find the availlable time, but then to select the time that is possible when the various people can do a meeting, you cannot click on the nice graphical representation. Instead you need to memorise when everyone is availlable, and then scroll up through the form to where the date and time selector is, and then change it there.It's job creation, most people that have a lot of meetings will have a PA Sadly this is a fact where I work not a joke.My experience of PAs is that it is often better to book smaller meetings oneself. Only the big ones need the PA.

rmax
Topic Author

April 25th, 2014, 7:11 am

So you enter your To Do list into LN. It then helpfully whacks it in at the top of you calendar entry. That is quite useful... until you got to the next day, and regardless of whether you have completed the To Do item or not it has disappeared...

rmax
Topic Author

April 29th, 2014, 10:26 am

So, someone sends you a URL. The link is not parsed correctly, so only part of it is activated. The only way around this is to copy and paste the link (which is a challenge in itself). With this and Ryan G back at Man U feel as though I have gone back to circa 1995. Someone next will be trying to pitch some CDOs at me.

Cuchulainn

April 29th, 2014, 11:08 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: rmaxSo, someone sends you a URL. The link is not parsed correctly, so only part of it is activated. The only way around this is to copy and paste the link (which is a challenge in itself). With this and Ryan G back at Man U feel as though I have gone back to circa 1995. Someone next will be trying to pitch some CDOs at me.Don't forget WP and Harvard Graphics.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on April 28th, 2014, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rmax
Topic Author

April 29th, 2014, 3:13 pm

So when you sort ones mail in LN, it does not clearly identify what sort you have applied. Also the arrows that allow you to sort change direction depending on the mood of the developer and how they thouht you should sort that column. Why is it I always have to fall in to how they want me to work?

rmax
Topic Author

April 29th, 2014, 3:18 pm

So there is a neat feature. You can easily remove attachements from e-mails by saving and deleting. Cute. but should you wish to save the file with a different filename than what it was attached with you can't. Why not? Is the world going to end if I change the name of the file? Is the queen going to start insisting on being called Bess everywhere she goes? I think not.

rmax
Topic Author

April 30th, 2014, 1:28 pm

So - writing an e-mail. Want to put bullet points into it. Hit the bullet button and it puts a bullet on the paragraph above. I needed to hit enter again, remove the extra line I had just inserted and then hit the bullet button. That did the trick. Very simple bug that should have been fixed in v1.0.1.

rmax
Topic Author

April 30th, 2014, 3:21 pm

The calendar can only show one timezone.

rmax
Topic Author

May 1st, 2014, 9:12 am

You can'y invite people to an all-day event. People can only be invited to meetings. Grggghhh

Hansi

May 1st, 2014, 11:50 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: rmaxSo when you sort ones mail in LN, it does not clearly identify what sort you have applied. Also the arrows that allow you to sort change direction depending on the mood of the developer and how they thouht you should sort that column. Why is it I always have to fall in to how they want me to work?I think the version I have had black triangles on the column sorted by but when you scroll down sometimes the order goes out of whack and you need to hit the column twice to get it to re-sort. Really stupid.QuoteOriginally posted by: rmaxSo there is a neat feature. You can easily remove attachements from e-mails by saving and deleting. Cute. but should you wish to save the file with a different filename than what it was attached with you can't. Why not? Is the world going to end if I change the name of the file? Is the queen going to start insisting on being called Bess everywhere she goes? I think not.Had this issue multiple times, even if you click on a file it will change the grayed out filename field but then get a background overwrite dialog that isn't shown to the user and just get a failed message at the end. They've really thought this through.
Last edited by Hansi on April 30th, 2014, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rmax
Topic Author

May 12th, 2014, 10:57 am

Not a Lotus Notes thing this time, but it is only just now that I have clocked that the Save icon is a 3.5" disc. I wonder how long that visual metaphor will continue?

Traden4Alpha

May 12th, 2014, 11:53 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: rmaxNot a Lotus Notes thing this time, but it is only just now that I have clocked that the Save icon is a 3.5" disc. I wonder how long that visual metaphor will continue?Good thing GUIs did not arrive earlier or it would be over twice as large (8" floppy). At some point skeuomorphism becomes self-referential as opposed to referencing a real world object. Another good example is photo/movie icons that have film with sprocket holes. What percentage of today's youth have ever seen or used a film camera?
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On