SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

albertmills
Topic Author

Programming contests

June 22nd, 2014, 12:58 am

Hi,I'm looking for a programming contest to use as a motivation to learn programming...as in learn about networking, c++, databases, etc. whatever else compromises modern programming etc. I already learned about loops, conditional statements, and arrays a long time ago in school.I looked at google's code jam, but the problems there seem more oriented to logic/math, with the programming part being pretty minor once you figure out the algorithm. Or maybe i'm wrong.Anyway, any suggestions?Thanks.

Cuchulainn

Programming contests

June 22nd, 2014, 7:23 am

IMO a good way to learn programming is to take a subject/topic yourself that interests you and elaborate it from an initial proof-of-concept (get it working) and develop a series of prototypes, with each prototype containing more functionality, libraries etc. The advantage is that the application becomes a living entity. Once an algorithm is done, on the other hand, life stops as we now it. Applications get new features and new functionality is needed.For example, it could be some 2d collision detection of objects. Or a hotel reservation system?
Last edited by Cuchulainn on June 21st, 2014, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl

Every Time We Teach a Child Something, We Keep Him from Inventing It Himself
Jean Piaget

rmax

Programming contests

June 26th, 2014, 9:51 am

There used to be a compteition to write something in 1kB. I remember there were some seriously impressive examples: A ray traced vase, a flight simulator.The other one I like is the obsficated code challenge. Ie. to calc pi try this (from Wikipedia).

ExSan

Programming contests

June 26th, 2014, 11:03 am

W- Programming and Software Forum-Please recommend some websites, where I can do some exercises for C++, algorithm online

katastrofa

Programming contests

June 29th, 2014, 7:34 pm

Algorithmic Skirmishes (for Polish speakers).

rmax

Programming contests

June 30th, 2014, 9:13 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: outrunRmax, Ray tracer in 0.1Kb!Neat... BTW: Now that your avatar has changed I don't recognise your posts !

exneratunrisk

Programming contests

July 1st, 2014, 8:54 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: outrunQuoteOriginally posted by: rmaxQuoteOriginally posted by: outrunRmax, Ray tracer in 0.1Kb!Neat... BTW: Now that your avatar has changed I don't recognise your posts !It's good for our brains (and I got bored of the old avatar)Some people take a different route to work every day (not just maffia), eat with fork in the right hand. Some even do weird anti-routine things like sit on the street for 20 minutes. I think they are on to something, it will probably slow down the experienced passage of time and keep your brain healthy?I could not agree more. The best function of our brain: the ability to forget - enables the disruption and reinvention of ourselves and our ideas Phil Collins: when I am completely uninspired, I catch a train an look out of the window ?.

rmax

Programming contests

July 1st, 2014, 8:54 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: outrunQuoteOriginally posted by: rmaxQuoteOriginally posted by: outrunRmax, Ray tracer in 0.1Kb!Neat... BTW: Now that your avatar has changed I don't recognise your posts !It's good for our brains (and I got bored of the old avatar)Some people take a different route to work every day (not just maffia),YesQuote eat with fork in the right hand. Do that.QuoteSome even do weird anti-routine things like sit on the street for 20 minutes. only in the Netherlands!!! QuoteI think they are on to something, it will probably slow down the experienced passage of time and keep your brain healthy?I read about these nuns in Ireland and their order means that they need to be occupied all the time. They have a very low rate of alzhiemers compared to their peers. One has to keep ones brain active otherwise it does rot IMHO. It is why I read Wilmott regularly!

Cuchulainn

Programming contests

July 1st, 2014, 10:12 am

More drift ...
http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl

Every Time We Teach a Child Something, We Keep Him from Inventing It Himself
Jean Piaget

ExSan

Programming contests

July 29th, 2014, 8:07 pm

Programming Challenges
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On