SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Cuchulainn

Microsoft takes .NET open source and cross-platform + VS Pro now free for individuals

November 19th, 2014, 8:08 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: HansiQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnIt was a question I posed...Let me ask it in this more direct way!"Is it part of the Microsoft plan to port Office to Linux and allow Automation/COM addins?"1. yes2. no3. don't knowNo. And there is no plan to do something like that.QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaGiven that Microsoft has ported Office to Android and Android is based on the Linux kernel, the answer is a potential "yes". Whether they would support desktop distros is another matter. And I don't know if the Android version includes the automation/COM adding.It doesn't.That's clear. Thanks.

DominicConnor

Microsoft takes .NET open source and cross-platform + VS Pro now free for individuals

November 19th, 2014, 4:26 pm

I think that MS will push towards Office 365 which is almost impossible to program.Really Shit APITim, who reviewed it is a proper programmer, but rather polite which makes his gentle criticism all the more biting.

FastExcel

November 23rd, 2014, 10:24 am

From an Excel perspective there is no cross-platform API, and none of the existing APIs look promising given that I don't see MSoft porting COM anywhereCOM dependent:.NET InteropVBA is Windows client (+Mac client sort of) & not going anywhere elseCOM and Automation addinsNot COM dependent:XLL is Windows rich client onlyAPPs for Office is potentially cross-platform/endpoint but does not do anything useful for existing Excel use casesLooks to me like the Office Programmability team does not understand or care about Excel programmability

Cuchulainn

November 23rd, 2014, 1:40 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: FastExcelFrom an Excel perspective there is no cross-platform API, and none of the existing APIs look promising given that I don't see MSoft porting COM anywhereCOM dependent:.NET InteropVBA is Windows client (+Mac client sort of) & not going anywhere elseCOM and Automation addinsNot COM dependent:XLL is Windows rich client onlyAPPs for Office is potentially cross-platform/endpoint but does not do anything useful for existing Excel use casesLooks to me like the Office Programmability team does not understand or care about Excel programmabilityNice post. Thank you.

Govert

November 24th, 2014, 7:57 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: FastExcelLooks to me like the Office Programmability team does not understand or care about Excel programmabilityPerhaps they understand it perfectly:Excel runs everywhere, but is only powerful and extensible (with VBA and real add-ins) on Windows.-GovertExcel-DNA - Free and easy .NET for Excel

Hansi
Topic Author

November 25th, 2014, 9:29 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: GovertQuoteOriginally posted by: FastExcelLooks to me like the Office Programmability team does not understand or care about Excel programmabilityPerhaps they understand it perfectly:Excel runs everywhere, but is only powerful and extensible (with VBA and real add-ins) on Windows.-GovertExcel-DNA - Free and easy .NET for ExcelGood point.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On