Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Traden4Alpha

Three years from now: can you predict the Software Landscape in anno 2018?

May 15th, 2015, 11:45 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofaQuoteOriginally posted by: outrunAnd game development has shifted from PC / consoles to iOSThe graph counts productions like this or this vs all the bubble/candy/scrabble crap in all shapes and colours of the rainbow. Fail.Isn't the non-mobile side of the game industry also seeing declining revenues? Consoles are definitely much lower in sales than 5 years ago.Those bubble/candy/scrabble games may be crap, but a lot of people play them.

katastrofa

May 16th, 2015, 8:03 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaIsn't the non-mobile side of the game industry also seeing declining revenues? Consoles are definitely much lower in sales than 5 years ago.You're incorrect. Besides, hardware is not the main (if any) source of profit in this business. That's why people started buying cheap but powerful consoles to build computational clusters.QuoteThose bubble/candy/scrabble games may be crap, but a lot of people play them.What I was saying is that comparing one to the other makes no sense: a title created in years by excellent devs at studios like CD Projekt Red or Activision is not equivalent to an iOS game written by one mediocre dev in a week. The latter, apart from a few outliers, bring no profit to the devs.I's off.
Last edited by katastrofa on May 15th, 2015, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Traden4Alpha

May 16th, 2015, 11:23 am

I wasn't implying hardware was the main source of profit only that the declines in unit sales suggest that the market is shrinking.

katastrofa

May 19th, 2015, 12:04 pm

I thought we were talking about Microsoft's condition and prospects. BTW, which decline? :-)Commander Shepard is now in charge of Microsoft holographic games division: http://uk.businessinsider.com/biowares- ... r%29?r=USI had no idea that he was so handsome:
Last edited by katastrofa on May 18th, 2015, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Traden4Alpha

May 19th, 2015, 1:36 pm

It's the decline that started around 2011.2014 sales were 40% lower than 2011 sales

tags

May 24th, 2015, 8:13 am

And what are Wilmotters' comments about Rust, please?

Cuchulainn

Re: Three years from now: can you predict the Software Landscape in anno 2018?

November 6th, 2017, 2:11 pm

The Disappearing American Grad Student

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/03/educ ... -stem.html

Cuchulainn

November 12th, 2017, 7:55 pm

C#: It’s not underrated, it’s hated :-)

It has a stigma attached to it, simply because it was invented by the Evil World Domination that is known as Microsoft, but people love golang because it was made by that nice cuddly cute company known as Google….
C# is a very, very powerful server side and general development language, but so many people (Especially open source die hard’s) have such a hatred for Microsoft, that they denounce it as an inferior language, they cast it’s aspirations into the pits of anarthy, and try to persuade you that every other language in the world is better.

A large amount of folks where C# is concerned, also still don’t believe that C# is now as cross platform as it is, many folks still think that it’s native on windows, and that code you write will be restricted to the windows (and Thus) microsoft platforms.
The ONLY way this is going to change, is if people just go ahead and adopt/use it anyway, then show the nay-sayers afterwardswhat was done.

ppauper
Topic Author

November 12th, 2017, 8:49 pm

there was a link in another thread about the PhD racket, wherein faculty members are required to train large numbers of PhDs as part of their job but the PhDs are screwed because there are what 20 times as many PhDs graduating as there are faculty positions. Which is obvious if you stop and think about how many PhDs a faculty member in a good school produces. One guy at my alma mater had a pyramid scheme going: he had a bunch of postdocs and he got the postdocs to supervise his grad students so he had something like 10 PhD students at a time. And I'm guessing that over the course of his career he would supervise between 50 and 100. Yet when he retires, only 1 job will open up.
My point would be, they can't have it both ways. Complaining that there aren't enough US-born grad students when there aren't jobs for the ones that there are now. It actually seems to be an optimal solution to have foreign grad students come study in the US then go back to their own lands when done. 

Cuchulainn

November 13th, 2017, 8:45 am

there was a link in another thread about the PhD racket, wherein faculty members are required to train large numbers of PhDs as part of their job but the PhDs are screwed because there are what 20 times as many PhDs graduating as there are faculty positions. Which is obvious if you stop and think about how many PhDs a faculty member in a good school produces. One guy at my alma mater had a pyramid scheme going: he had a bunch of postdocs and he got the postdocs to supervise his grad students so he had something like 10 PhD students at a time. And I'm guessing that over the course of his career he would supervise between 50 and 100. Yet when he retires, only 1 job will open up.
My point would be, they can't have it both ways. Complaining that there aren't enough US-born grad students when there aren't jobs for the ones that there are now. It actually seems to be an optimal solution to have foreign grad students come study in the US then go back to their own lands when done. 
Good point.

rmax

February 16th, 2018, 4:47 pm

Interesting to resurrect this thread.

Cuchulainn

February 19th, 2018, 11:48 am

"In time, GD will become the CN of AI and an industry standard."