SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Cuchulainn

Basic usage -- Visual Studio

March 15th, 2015, 7:13 pm

Don't be a beta tester; use a land line (especially for job interviews)

Polter

March 16th, 2015, 1:15 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: AlanI hardly ever use Visual Studio, so here is a basic "how to" question. I have a C/C++ console project consisting of two .cpp files, one with the main entry point, call it main.cppNow, it comes up all the time that I want to try a new method/approach in the main.cppSo I want to basically save that and start again with a new version main2.cpp, keeping everything else the same.What is the *easiest* way to do this?If it matters I am using VS 2013 Community editionHow about this: http://channel9.msdn.com/coding4fun/blo ... -Solutions

Alan
Topic Author

March 16th, 2015, 1:48 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: PolterQuoteOriginally posted by: AlanI hardly ever use Visual Studio, so here is a basic "how to" question. I have a C/C++ console project consisting of two .cpp files, one with the main entry point, call it main.cppNow, it comes up all the time that I want to try a new method/approach in the main.cppSo I want to basically save that and start again with a new version main2.cpp, keeping everything else the same.What is the *easiest* way to do this?If it matters I am using VS 2013 Community editionHow about this: http://channel9.msdn.com/coding4fun/blo ... nsThanks,I will try that some time as it looks like it should speed up creating my Monte Carlo console apps as they tend to have very similar structure.The issue I posted about earlier was the somewhat different one of duplicating an existing app. However, I have gotten usednow to simply 'Adding a project' to the solution and copying in my previous main.cpp code, editing my command line, etc, somy original issue is moot.

tagoma

April 12th, 2015, 7:45 pm

Hi, everyone. Is there any Visual Studio template (or any other tool ...) that would make the things easier with cython projects?(depending on your project) You write you C/C++ here, you write your python lines there, you use deal command line at some point. It would be nice if it was more all-in-one-place.(I apologize if my question doesn't make sense)

Hansi

April 13th, 2015, 8:19 am

I haven't used it for 5+ years but maybe pytools has something? https://pytools.codeplex.com/

outrun

Re: Basic usage -- Visual Studio

August 18th, 2017, 8:03 pm

Cuchulainn

August 19th, 2017, 2:52 pm

RTFM,
Are you sure you want to clean all changes?

This action is irreversible!

There are unstaged changes in X files.
You can't say you weren't warned. And make a backup every day. 101

outrun

August 19th, 2017, 3:55 pm

"clean/unstaged changes" is not exactly explaining "permanently going to remove all files from your harddisk". Crazy.
But it indeed, always make sure I you have a plan B to hedge against things like this.

Cuchulainn

August 19th, 2017, 6:19 pm

"clean/unstaged changes" is not exactly explaining  "permanently going to remove all files from your harddisk". Crazy.
But it indeed, always make sure  I you have a plan B to hedge against  things like this.
I think VS is trying to be everything these days. It will be fixed in next version. That's been the story since Windows 1.0.

alpher

August 24th, 2017, 12:54 pm

"clean/unstaged changes" is not exactly explaining  "permanently going to remove all files from your harddisk". Crazy.
But it indeed, always make sure  I you have a plan B to hedge against  things like this.
I think VS is trying to be everything these days. It will be fixed in next version. That's been the story since Windows 1.0.
I'd say it had reached its full potential even in the 2010 VS days. Since F# and LINQ and all other libraries and wrappers there isn't that many things to be added. I'd say NET will still "evolve" somewhere/somehow: C# as the leading game developing language (Unity), F# as the most versatile but the days of net/wpf and windows forrms are gone. Pure C++ is more interesting on Qt, I've used it on VS rarely, only in cases when needed for OpenCV or simple scripts. 
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On