SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Orbit
Topic Author

MicroSuck WinSuck.

February 4th, 2016, 2:25 pm

I am just about sick of microsuck.First, because of my job, I am a very heavy user of Excel. Not really sure why they do this but every few years they feel compelled to fuck it up even more. I really liked Excel 97 (is that it? I can't remember). It even had a little html editor buried in the VBA editor. Nice! Anyways, the keep changing excel and fucking it up. At this point it looks like a shitty children's book with big fucked up buttons and stupid, buried menu items that used to be readily available. Fuck!Secondly, the operating system. What. The. Fuck. The little "start button" is gone and you can't fucking find anything. It looks like it was designed for handicapped people (nothing against handicapped people).Further, the OS is sending every fucking keystroke to a microsuck web address every five minutes.What the fuck!?The happiest I have ever been was I worked at a place that had Sun computers, it was fucking awesome. Unix is cool.It's like MS is actively trying to fucking devolve. Why?

mtsm

MicroSuck WinSuck.

February 4th, 2016, 3:04 pm

It's ok, come down. Office365 with excel2013 on win7 or 10 takes some time getting used to, but even you can get there...Not sure 97 was that great. 2007 was a big breaking change. 2010 was OK. I had a hard time getting used to 2013. What's wrong with the OS? Sounds like you are using Win8 and you should not be. Get rid of it.

DavidJN

MicroSuck WinSuck.

February 4th, 2016, 3:07 pm

I too am distressed at the increasing intrusiveness of MS products. But they are not alone in trying to learn as much as they can about you to better sell things to you, isn't that the real purpose of Facebook? Time for Linix and Open Office?

Cuchulainn

MicroSuck WinSuck.

February 4th, 2016, 5:25 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: OrbitI am just about sick of microsuck.First, because of my job, I am a very heavy user of Excel. Not really sure why they do this but every few years they feel compelled to fuck it up even more. I really liked Excel 97 (is that it? I can't remember). It even had a little html editor buried in the VBA editor. Nice! Anyways, the keep changing excel and fucking it up. At this point it looks like a shitty children's book with big fucked up buttons and stupid, buried menu items that used to be readily available. Fuck!Secondly, the operating system. What. The. Fuck. The little "start button" is gone and you can't fucking find anything. It looks like it was designed for handicapped people (nothing against handicapped people).Further, the OS is sending every fucking keystroke to a microsuck web address every five minutes.What the fuck!?The happiest I have ever been was I worked at a place that had Sun computers, it was fucking awesome. Unix is cool.It's like MS is actively trying to fucking devolve. Why?Sorry to hear that, Orbit. I do have experience with VisiCalc on Apple II and Fortran add-ins. And it works in Windows and DOS.Seriously, what are you using Excel for? Not a glorified database? DLL hell? // Windows 8 look awful.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on February 3rd, 2016, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl

Approach your problem from the right end and begin with the answers. Then one day, perhaps you will find the final question..
R. van Gulik

Cuchulainn

MicroSuck WinSuck.

February 5th, 2016, 8:07 pm

kaizen
http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl

Approach your problem from the right end and begin with the answers. Then one day, perhaps you will find the final question..
R. van Gulik

frolloos

MicroSuck WinSuck.

February 7th, 2016, 4:00 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: OrbitSecondly, the operating system. What. The. Fuck. The little "start button" is gone and you can't fucking find anything. It looks like it was designed for handicapped people (nothing against handicapped people).The happiest I have ever been was I worked at a place that had Sun computers, it was fucking awesome. Unix is cool.It's like MS is actively trying to fucking devolve. Why?This is the worst part. At least before you could choose when and how to start the shit, be it to word-shit, to power-shit or to excel in shit. Now there is just shit and all you do is drag and click shit trying to find the shit you need.I long for version MicroShit 3.1 and play Duke Nukem.
Last edited by frolloos on February 6th, 2016, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Orbit
Topic Author

MicroSuck WinSuck.

February 8th, 2016, 1:32 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: frolloosQuoteOriginally posted by: OrbitSecondly, the operating system. What. The. Fuck. The little "start button" is gone and you can't fucking find anything. It looks like it was designed for handicapped people (nothing against handicapped people).The happiest I have ever been was I worked at a place that had Sun computers, it was fucking awesome. Unix is cool.It's like MS is actively trying to fucking devolve. Why?This is the worst part. At least before you could choose when and how to start the shit, be it to word-shit, to power-shit or to excel in shit. Now there is just shit and all you do is drag and click shit trying to find the shit you need.I long for version MicroShit 3.1 and play Duke Nukem.Fuck yeah. Or "Doom."

AvovA

MicroSuck WinSuck.

February 8th, 2016, 2:25 pm

I feel bad for you. My employer lets me use Linux even though most of the company are on windoze/macs.This alone is probably worth a few k of compensation :)

Orbit
Topic Author

MicroSuck WinSuck.

February 8th, 2016, 2:44 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: outrunThis video will help relieve your tension, it "saves you precious time".Ok I'm speechless on that one.

dd3

MicroSuck WinSuck.

February 8th, 2016, 2:52 pm

Why not use Linux on a VM? That's what I do.But then you'd have either Libreoffice or OpenOffice and you'd wish for Excel back.

Orbit
Topic Author

MicroSuck WinSuck.

February 9th, 2016, 2:12 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnSorry to hear that, Orbit. I do have experience with VisiCalc on Apple II and Fortran add-ins. And it works in Windows and DOS.Seriously, what are you using Excel for? Not a glorified database? DLL hell? // Windows 8 look awful.Visicalc! I actually remember using that, I'll spare you the details but I managed to convince someone that using VisiCalc would be better than keeping books on old-fashioned ledger paper. Anyways mostly I use excel for reporting purposes, it's a very nice tool to slice and dice data because it's all visual. (I also use MATLAB but that's for "real" calculations...)It just seems like software and even OS's are evolved without user feedback - why would they do that? It doesn't make any sense.

Traden4Alpha

MicroSuck WinSuck.

February 9th, 2016, 2:44 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: OrbitQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnSorry to hear that, Orbit. I do have experience with VisiCalc on Apple II and Fortran add-ins. And it works in Windows and DOS.Seriously, what are you using Excel for? Not a glorified database? DLL hell? // Windows 8 look awful.Visicalc! I actually remember using that, I'll spare you the details but I managed to convince someone that using VisiCalc would be better than keeping books on old-fashioned ledger paper. Anyways mostly I use excel for reporting purposes, it's a very nice tool to slice and dice data because it's all visual. (I also use MATLAB but that's for "real" calculations...)It just seems like software and even OS's are evolved without user feedback - why would they do that? It doesn't make any sense.I, too, love the visual presentation structure of spreadsheets and the auto-recalculation mode of working. It's orders of magnitude faster than the procedural language method of edit, recompile, get compiler errors, edit, recompile, run, review results, add debugging statements, edit, recompile, ...... I'd rather make a change and instantly see the results (and all intermediate variables).At some level, app and OS design is being driven by the marketing department who insist that things look "new" rather than get better.

rmax

MicroSuck WinSuck.

February 9th, 2016, 4:26 pm

Just be thankful you are not using Lotus notes
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On