Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

DavidJN

MicroSuck WinSuck.

February 10th, 2016, 2:42 am

Argh Lotus Notes! Some poor folks wanted me to do some work for them that involved linking Excel output to Notes email and pretty much anything we tried resulted in not only a local PC crash but an email server crash as well. The darn thing would merely throw up a window full of question marks before oblivion. Absolutely abysmal software. Used to be used by some governments!

rmax

MicroSuck WinSuck.

February 10th, 2016, 5:45 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: DavidJNArgh Lotus Notes! Some poor folks wanted me to do some work for them that involved linking Excel output to Notes email and pretty much anything we tried resulted in not only a local PC crash but an email server crash as well. The darn thing would merely throw up a window full of question marks before oblivion. Absolutely abysmal software. Used to be used by some governments!QuoteOriginally posted by: rmaxIf I had a time machine, I would not go back and try and kill Hitler or anything stupid like that. I would just get to Ray Ozzie, sit him down and have a frank conversation about what he would be proposing. I would liken LN to Ebola, SARS and H1N1 so he got the full picture (although SARS would of course not have happened then). I am sure he is a reasonable guy. Wouldn't anyone change their ways if they saw they destruction and misery that they would cause when they hit the compile button?

Cuchulainn

MicroSuck WinSuck.

February 11th, 2016, 11:16 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: DavidJNArgh Lotus Notes! Some poor folks wanted me to do some work for them that involved linking Excel output to Notes email and pretty much anything we tried resulted in not only a local PC crash but an email server crash as well. The darn thing would merely throw up a window full of question marks before oblivion. Absolutely abysmal software. Used to be used by some governments!You could use DDE? An IBM invention AFAIR.

Traden4Alpha

MicroSuck WinSuck.

February 11th, 2016, 1:41 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: DavidJNArgh Lotus Notes! Some poor folks wanted me to do some work for them that involved linking Excel output to Notes email and pretty much anything we tried resulted in not only a local PC crash but an email server crash as well. The darn thing would merely throw up a window full of question marks before oblivion. Absolutely abysmal software. Used to be used by some governments!You could use DDE? An IBM invention AFAIR.DDE would probably only make it worse. Lotus Notes was like an early incarnation of Dropbox+GoogleDocs+GMail in that it attempted to manage a shared space of documents and messages among a group. Any attempt to fool with the internals of the Notes workspace would almost certainly break something.

Cuchulainn

MicroSuck WinSuck.

February 11th, 2016, 4:32 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: DavidJNArgh Lotus Notes! Some poor folks wanted me to do some work for them that involved linking Excel output to Notes email and pretty much anything we tried resulted in not only a local PC crash but an email server crash as well. The darn thing would merely throw up a window full of question marks before oblivion. Absolutely abysmal software. Used to be used by some governments!You could use DDE? An IBM invention AFAIR.DDE would probably only make it worse. Lotus Notes was like an early incarnation of Dropbox+GoogleDocs+GMail in that it attempted to manage a shared space of documents and messages among a group. Any attempt to fool with the internals of the Notes workspace would almost certainly break something.Why do you think that? Quotefool with the internals of the Notes workspace DDE API handles the internals. It is very powerful and generic.As early as 1991 I used DDE to let AuoCAD to communicate with Excel etc.BTW I have not used Notes but it can't be too difficult.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on February 10th, 2016, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Traden4Alpha

MicroSuck WinSuck.

February 11th, 2016, 11:00 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: DavidJNArgh Lotus Notes! Some poor folks wanted me to do some work for them that involved linking Excel output to Notes email and pretty much anything we tried resulted in not only a local PC crash but an email server crash as well. The darn thing would merely throw up a window full of question marks before oblivion. Absolutely abysmal software. Used to be used by some governments!You could use DDE? An IBM invention AFAIR.DDE would probably only make it worse. Lotus Notes was like an early incarnation of Dropbox+GoogleDocs+GMail in that it attempted to manage a shared space of documents and messages among a group. Any attempt to fool with the internals of the Notes workspace would almost certainly break something.Why do you think that? Quotefool with the internals of the Notes workspace DDE API handles the internals. It is very powerful and generic.As early as 1991 I used DDE to let AuoCAD to communicate with Excel etc.BTW I have not used Notes but it can't be too difficult.Maybe. Most software tends to puke if some other process writes into that software's memory space. I get the sense that Notes was almost like an OS within the OS. It certainly had it's own file system and message system (that it replicated and managed cross multiple machines of different OSes in the group) which would probably break if some Windows process tried to write to.The issue is whether DDE can make whatever coordinated changes in Lotus Notes internals while Lotus Notes is running.

Cuchulainn

MicroSuck WinSuck.

February 12th, 2016, 10:50 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: DavidJNArgh Lotus Notes! Some poor folks wanted me to do some work for them that involved linking Excel output to Notes email and pretty much anything we tried resulted in not only a local PC crash but an email server crash as well. The darn thing would merely throw up a window full of question marks before oblivion. Absolutely abysmal software. Used to be used by some governments!You could use DDE? An IBM invention AFAIR.DDE would probably only make it worse. Lotus Notes was like an early incarnation of Dropbox+GoogleDocs+GMail in that it attempted to manage a shared space of documents and messages among a group. Any attempt to fool with the internals of the Notes workspace would almost certainly break something.Why do you think that? Quotefool with the internals of the Notes workspace DDE API handles the internals. It is very powerful and generic.As early as 1991 I used DDE to let AuoCAD to communicate with Excel etc.BTW I have not used Notes but it can't be too difficult.Maybe. Most software tends to puke if some other process writes into that software's memory space. I get the sense that Notes was almost like an OS within the OS. It certainly had it's own file system and message system (that it replicated and managed cross multiple machines of different OSes in the group) which would probably break if some Windows process tried to write to.The issue is whether DDE can make whatever coordinated changes in Lotus Notes internals while Lotus Notes is running.I reckon DDE would have issues in a multi-use application. Just a hunch.Not sure if DDE was built for that stuff.

Traden4Alpha

MicroSuck WinSuck.

February 12th, 2016, 12:30 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: DavidJNArgh Lotus Notes! Some poor folks wanted me to do some work for them that involved linking Excel output to Notes email and pretty much anything we tried resulted in not only a local PC crash but an email server crash as well. The darn thing would merely throw up a window full of question marks before oblivion. Absolutely abysmal software. Used to be used by some governments!You could use DDE? An IBM invention AFAIR.DDE would probably only make it worse. Lotus Notes was like an early incarnation of Dropbox+GoogleDocs+GMail in that it attempted to manage a shared space of documents and messages among a group. Any attempt to fool with the internals of the Notes workspace would almost certainly break something.Why do you think that? Quotefool with the internals of the Notes workspace DDE API handles the internals. It is very powerful and generic.As early as 1991 I used DDE to let AuoCAD to communicate with Excel etc.BTW I have not used Notes but it can't be too difficult.Maybe. Most software tends to puke if some other process writes into that software's memory space. I get the sense that Notes was almost like an OS within the OS. It certainly had it's own file system and message system (that it replicated and managed cross multiple machines of different OSes in the group) which would probably break if some Windows process tried to write to.The issue is whether DDE can make whatever coordinated changes in Lotus Notes internals while Lotus Notes is running.I reckon DDE would have issues in a multi-use application. Just a hunch.Not sure if DDE was built for that stuff.Given what I and others have seen of Lotus Notes, I reckon Lotus Notes had issues with Lotus Notes.Conceptually, the application was far ahead of its time but its execution left much to be desired.

Cuchulainn

MicroSuck WinSuck.

February 12th, 2016, 7:51 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: DavidJNArgh Lotus Notes! Some poor folks wanted me to do some work for them that involved linking Excel output to Notes email and pretty much anything we tried resulted in not only a local PC crash but an email server crash as well. The darn thing would merely throw up a window full of question marks before oblivion. Absolutely abysmal software. Used to be used by some governments!You could use DDE? An IBM invention AFAIR.DDE would probably only make it worse. Lotus Notes was like an early incarnation of Dropbox+GoogleDocs+GMail in that it attempted to manage a shared space of documents and messages among a group. Any attempt to fool with the internals of the Notes workspace would almost certainly break something.Why do you think that? Quotefool with the internals of the Notes workspace DDE API handles the internals. It is very powerful and generic.As early as 1991 I used DDE to let AuoCAD to communicate with Excel etc.BTW I have not used Notes but it can't be too difficult.Maybe. Most software tends to puke if some other process writes into that software's memory space. I get the sense that Notes was almost like an OS within the OS. It certainly had it's own file system and message system (that it replicated and managed cross multiple machines of different OSes in the group) which would probably break if some Windows process tried to write to.The issue is whether DDE can make whatever coordinated changes in Lotus Notes internals while Lotus Notes is running.I reckon DDE would have issues in a multi-use application. Just a hunch.Not sure if DDE was built for that stuff.Given what I and others have seen of Lotus Notes, I reckon Lotus Notes had issues with Lotus Notes.Conceptually, the application was far ahead of its time but its execution left much to be desired.It is by no means unique. Can of worms and all that.

Traden4Alpha

MicroSuck WinSuck.

February 12th, 2016, 8:32 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: DavidJNArgh Lotus Notes! Some poor folks wanted me to do some work for them that involved linking Excel output to Notes email and pretty much anything we tried resulted in not only a local PC crash but an email server crash as well. The darn thing would merely throw up a window full of question marks before oblivion. Absolutely abysmal software. Used to be used by some governments!You could use DDE? An IBM invention AFAIR.DDE would probably only make it worse. Lotus Notes was like an early incarnation of Dropbox+GoogleDocs+GMail in that it attempted to manage a shared space of documents and messages among a group. Any attempt to fool with the internals of the Notes workspace would almost certainly break something.Why do you think that? Quotefool with the internals of the Notes workspace DDE API handles the internals. It is very powerful and generic.As early as 1991 I used DDE to let AuoCAD to communicate with Excel etc.BTW I have not used Notes but it can't be too difficult.Maybe. Most software tends to puke if some other process writes into that software's memory space. I get the sense that Notes was almost like an OS within the OS. It certainly had it's own file system and message system (that it replicated and managed cross multiple machines of different OSes in the group) which would probably break if some Windows process tried to write to.The issue is whether DDE can make whatever coordinated changes in Lotus Notes internals while Lotus Notes is running.I reckon DDE would have issues in a multi-use application. Just a hunch.Not sure if DDE was built for that stuff.Given what I and others have seen of Lotus Notes, I reckon Lotus Notes had issues with Lotus Notes.Conceptually, the application was far ahead of its time but its execution left much to be desired.It is by no means unique. Can of worms and all that.So true! (And so sad, too)BTW, who's responsible for the can and who's responsible for the worms? It would seem things must fail in at least two areas to get the full can-o-worms result.

Cuchulainn

MicroSuck WinSuck.

February 12th, 2016, 8:35 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: DavidJNArgh Lotus Notes! Some poor folks wanted me to do some work for them that involved linking Excel output to Notes email and pretty much anything we tried resulted in not only a local PC crash but an email server crash as well. The darn thing would merely throw up a window full of question marks before oblivion. Absolutely abysmal software. Used to be used by some governments!You could use DDE? An IBM invention AFAIR.DDE would probably only make it worse. Lotus Notes was like an early incarnation of Dropbox+GoogleDocs+GMail in that it attempted to manage a shared space of documents and messages among a group. Any attempt to fool with the internals of the Notes workspace would almost certainly break something.Why do you think that? Quotefool with the internals of the Notes workspace DDE API handles the internals. It is very powerful and generic.As early as 1991 I used DDE to let AuoCAD to communicate with Excel etc.BTW I have not used Notes but it can't be too difficult.Maybe. Most software tends to puke if some other process writes into that software's memory space. I get the sense that Notes was almost like an OS within the OS. It certainly had it's own file system and message system (that it replicated and managed cross multiple machines of different OSes in the group) which would probably break if some Windows process tried to write to.The issue is whether DDE can make whatever coordinated changes in Lotus Notes internals while Lotus Notes is running.I reckon DDE would have issues in a multi-use application. Just a hunch.Not sure if DDE was built for that stuff.Given what I and others have seen of Lotus Notes, I reckon Lotus Notes had issues with Lotus Notes.Conceptually, the application was far ahead of its time but its execution left much to be desired.It is by no means unique. Can of worms and all that.So true! (And so sad, too)BTW, who's responsible for the can and who's responsible for the worms? It would seem things must fail in at least two areas to get the full can-o-worms result.No idea. It's a Markov process.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on February 11th, 2016, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.