SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

fulmerspot

Grammar-Pattern Programmers: Is Over-Abstraction Delivering Projects Faster Or Slower?

April 18th, 2016, 2:53 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: fulmerspotQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnWhat is a developer's mental model? For example, the customer has written this specWhat's triggered in Grammar-Pattern Programmer's head? How does it pan out?3 months rolling contract at Market Rates and an opportunity to improve my database skills, I'd recommend an OLAP cube with reports available to the trader through a pivot report so I could hone those skills too. Just setting up all that would take up the first three months.That's what it triggered in my Eye-On-The-Cash Programmers head.Do I get the Gig?Herr KartoffelKopfI like this initial feedback. The right mix IMHO. The part I liked most is that MFC was not named. In your proposal will you mention ADO.NET and C#?Sure I will - now you're looking for a full stack programmer with a wide range of skills, we're still talking market rates right?Herr KartoffelKopf

Traden4Alpha

Grammar-Pattern Programmers: Is Over-Abstraction Delivering Projects Faster Or Slower?

April 18th, 2016, 2:59 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteWhether a system can be a batch process or must have continuous updating seems like a fundamental architectural decision, not an optimizationI can't remember any one saying that it was an optimization.I cannot see anywhere that the inkblot diagram is or is not a batch system. It's just that way, maybe. Requirements Elicitation resolves this issue. QuoteAgreed! Yet if one cannot draw any conclusions from the inkblot diagram because it is missing more that 50% of the bare bones of the system, what can one do?Maybe that's the broader point -- any sketch of a system will be missing most of the information needed to define a good architecture. The inkblot is past tense.. enter the system architects.. who speak statecharts, concurrency and so on. Quotebatch-process MIS systems simply cannot provide it. It's possible that the current ORMS cannot support the needs of this new system if the ORMS is a batch system and the traders now want a realtime system.What then?Those are good points.If the ORMS can't support the updating/response time needs of the beer mat system, the organization faces three choices: 1) kill the project; 2) replace the ORMS; 3) layer on a parallel system that gets a mirror of the transaction flow and pre-existing data. All three options have many pros and cons although I think many organizations choose option 3 as the expedient choice.

Cuchulainn

April 18th, 2016, 5:40 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteWhether a system can be a batch process or must have continuous updating seems like a fundamental architectural decision, not an optimizationI can't remember any one saying that it was an optimization.I cannot see anywhere that the inkblot diagram is or is not a batch system. It's just that way, maybe. Requirements Elicitation resolves this issue. QuoteAgreed! Yet if one cannot draw any conclusions from the inkblot diagram because it is missing more that 50% of the bare bones of the system, what can one do?Maybe that's the broader point -- any sketch of a system will be missing most of the information needed to define a good architecture. The inkblot is past tense.. enter the system architects.. who speak statecharts, concurrency and so on. Quotebatch-process MIS systems simply cannot provide it. It's possible that the current ORMS cannot support the needs of this new system if the ORMS is a batch system and the traders now want a realtime system.What then?Those are good points.If the ORMS can't support the updating/response time needs of the beer mat system, the organization faces three choices: 1) kill the project; 2) replace the ORMS; 3) layer on a parallel system that gets a mirror of the transaction flow and pre-existing data. All three options have many pros and cons although I think many organizations choose option 3 as the expedient choice.Ok.Let's develop a POC that takes 3 months (choice 2) that will phase out 1). Please advise. Each trader is connected to the remote database server via Excel screen. I think fulmerspot should send in a quote. Agree?
Last edited by Cuchulainn on April 17th, 2016, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Traden4Alpha

April 18th, 2016, 11:04 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteWhether a system can be a batch process or must have continuous updating seems like a fundamental architectural decision, not an optimizationI can't remember any one saying that it was an optimization.I cannot see anywhere that the inkblot diagram is or is not a batch system. It's just that way, maybe. Requirements Elicitation resolves this issue. QuoteAgreed! Yet if one cannot draw any conclusions from the inkblot diagram because it is missing more that 50% of the bare bones of the system, what can one do?Maybe that's the broader point -- any sketch of a system will be missing most of the information needed to define a good architecture. The inkblot is past tense.. enter the system architects.. who speak statecharts, concurrency and so on. Quotebatch-process MIS systems simply cannot provide it. It's possible that the current ORMS cannot support the needs of this new system if the ORMS is a batch system and the traders now want a realtime system.What then?Those are good points.If the ORMS can't support the updating/response time needs of the beer mat system, the organization faces three choices: 1) kill the project; 2) replace the ORMS; 3) layer on a parallel system that gets a mirror of the transaction flow and pre-existing data. All three options have many pros and cons although I think many organizations choose option 3 as the expedient choice.Ok.Let's develop a POC that takes 3 months (choice 2) that will phase out 1). Please advise. Each trader is connected to the remote database server via Excel screen. I think fulmerspot should send in a quote. Agree?Sounds good!I'm sure fulmerspot will tackle the project with dogged determination.

Cuchulainn

April 19th, 2016, 9:36 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteWhether a system can be a batch process or must have continuous updating seems like a fundamental architectural decision, not an optimizationI can't remember any one saying that it was an optimization.I cannot see anywhere that the inkblot diagram is or is not a batch system. It's just that way, maybe. Requirements Elicitation resolves this issue. QuoteAgreed! Yet if one cannot draw any conclusions from the inkblot diagram because it is missing more that 50% of the bare bones of the system, what can one do?Maybe that's the broader point -- any sketch of a system will be missing most of the information needed to define a good architecture. The inkblot is past tense.. enter the system architects.. who speak statecharts, concurrency and so on. Quotebatch-process MIS systems simply cannot provide it. It's possible that the current ORMS cannot support the needs of this new system if the ORMS is a batch system and the traders now want a realtime system.What then?Those are good points.If the ORMS can't support the updating/response time needs of the beer mat system, the organization faces three choices: 1) kill the project; 2) replace the ORMS; 3) layer on a parallel system that gets a mirror of the transaction flow and pre-existing data. All three options have many pros and cons although I think many organizations choose option 3 as the expedient choice.Ok.Let's develop a POC that takes 3 months (choice 2) that will phase out 1). Please advise. Each trader is connected to the remote database server via Excel screen. I think fulmerspot should send in a quote. Agree?Sounds good!I'm sure fulmerspot will tackle the project with dogged determination.In order not to bark up the wrong tree, we should draw up a feature list.

Traden4Alpha

April 19th, 2016, 12:23 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteWhether a system can be a batch process or must have continuous updating seems like a fundamental architectural decision, not an optimizationI can't remember any one saying that it was an optimization.I cannot see anywhere that the inkblot diagram is or is not a batch system. It's just that way, maybe. Requirements Elicitation resolves this issue. QuoteAgreed! Yet if one cannot draw any conclusions from the inkblot diagram because it is missing more that 50% of the bare bones of the system, what can one do?Maybe that's the broader point -- any sketch of a system will be missing most of the information needed to define a good architecture. The inkblot is past tense.. enter the system architects.. who speak statecharts, concurrency and so on. Quotebatch-process MIS systems simply cannot provide it. It's possible that the current ORMS cannot support the needs of this new system if the ORMS is a batch system and the traders now want a realtime system.What then?Those are good points.If the ORMS can't support the updating/response time needs of the beer mat system, the organization faces three choices: 1) kill the project; 2) replace the ORMS; 3) layer on a parallel system that gets a mirror of the transaction flow and pre-existing data. All three options have many pros and cons although I think many organizations choose option 3 as the expedient choice.Ok.Let's develop a POC that takes 3 months (choice 2) that will phase out 1). Please advise. Each trader is connected to the remote database server via Excel screen. I think fulmerspot should send in a quote. Agree?Sounds good!I'm sure fulmerspot will tackle the project with dogged determination.In order not to bark up the wrong tree, we should draw up a feature list.Yes! 1. A shrubbery2. Mobile app3. Latest cool IT thingie mentioned in the Financial Times

Cuchulainn

Re: Grammar-Pattern Programmers: Is Over-Abstraction Delivering Projects Faster Or Slower?

December 21st, 2016, 12:49 pm

"My problem is that I have been persecuted by an integer. For seven years this number has followed me around, has intruded in my most private data, and has assaulted me from the pages of our most public journals. This number assumes a variety of disguises, being sometimes a little larger and sometimes a little smaller than usual, but never changing so much as to be unrecognizable. The persistence with which this number plagues me is far more than a random accident. There is, to quote a famous senator, a design behind it, some pattern governing its appearances. Either there really is something unusual about the number or else I am suffering from delusions of persecution."

Traden4Alpha

Re: Grammar-Pattern Programmers: Is Over-Abstraction Delivering Projects Faster Or Slower?

December 21st, 2016, 3:29 pm

"My problem is that I have been persecuted by an integer. For seven years this number has followed me around, has intruded in my most private data, and has assaulted me from the pages of our most public journals. This number assumes a variety of disguises, being sometimes a little larger and sometimes a little smaller than usual, but never changing so much as to be unrecognizable. The persistence with which this number plagues me is far more than a random accident. There is, to quote a famous senator, a design behind it, some pattern governing its appearances. Either there really is something unusual about the number or else I am suffering from delusions of persecution."
LOL!

Floats seem like the more treacherous type. They pretend to be real but they aren't! The big ones can't be added to the little ones. The closer two floats are, the noisier the differences. If you try to take one to infinity, it just stops. They can't handle most of the rational numbers and they can't handle any of the irrational ones.

Cuchulainn

December 21st, 2016, 3:35 pm

LOL!

Floats seem like the more treacherous type.  They pretend to be real but they aren't!  The big ones can't be added to the little ones.  The closer two floats are, the noisier the differences.  If you try to take one to infinity, it just stops.  They can't handle most of the rational numbers and they can't handle any of the irrational ones.
How do you distinguish between twin floats? No way.

Traden4Alpha

December 21st, 2016, 3:46 pm

LOL!

Floats seem like the more treacherous type.  They pretend to be real but they aren't!  The big ones can't be added to the little ones.  The closer two floats are, the noisier the differences.  If you try to take one to infinity, it just stops.  They can't handle most of the rational numbers and they can't handle any of the irrational ones.
Those least significant bits make a most significant difference, what?

Floats aren't even commutative!

a + (b+c) != (a+b)+c

Cuchulainn

December 21st, 2016, 4:13 pm

LOL!

a + (b+c) != (a+b)+c
True, even multi-threaded.

Traden4Alpha

December 21st, 2016, 4:34 pm

a + (b+c) != (a+b)+c
True, even multi-threaded.
In all fairness, the world isn't thread safe or commutative.

Maybe it's mathematics that is the unreal realm here!

Cuchulainn

December 21st, 2016, 6:37 pm

Inclusive Or exclusive OR?

Cuchulainn

December 21st, 2016, 6:40 pm

nor

Traden4Alpha

December 21st, 2016, 9:46 pm

nor
LOL!

do you mean:

is NOR(NOT( thread safe), commutative);
is OR(NOT( thread safe), commutative);
is NOT(OR( thread safe, commutative));
NOT(NOR(commutative,thread safe)) is?
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On