Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

gatarek

Re: Let me solve your problem

January 17th, 2023, 1:10 pm

Are you good at maths? Not enough. If you are very good I've got a problem for you.

katastrofa

January 17th, 2023, 2:48 pm

There's a time to think about probabilities, and a time to think about worst cases. And part of that is whether it's your money or someone else's, and whether others are in the same boat or it's just you. And don't forget to allow for movie deals and speaking engagements.

How come? Those probabilities don’t indicate any specific time. You learn it the hard way when it’s too late. Until if happens they only tell you   how much you should shake in your pants.
Should I go crosstown first or downtown? I can take advantage of the red light but there'll probably be other red lights on the way. Oh, hang on, that school bus doesn't seem to be braking.

FWIW I'm agreeing with you.
As long as you don’t go straightway from statistics to probability, you’re safe on the road imho :-)

Peniel
Topic Author

January 17th, 2023, 3:04 pm

Are you good at maths? Not enough. If you are very good I've got a problem for you.
In my paper, I tried to have the correct spelling and fancy accents for all the cited authors.
I think I got all of them right except one: Gątarek, the a + ogonek didn't work in LaTeX because of the encoding.
I will be happy if I can repay my debt to you Dariusz, but if it is a very hard problem, there is a chance that I fail you again.
I'd like to think I am good at maths but probably not better than others, but I could try to subcontract this to my supervisor and then take all the credit.
Feel free to message me.

gatarek

January 17th, 2023, 3:10 pm

In my paper, I tried to have the correct spelling and fancy accents for all the cited authors.
I think I got all of them right except one: Gątarek, the a + ogonek didn't work in LaTeX because of the encoding.
I will be happy if I can repay my debt to you Dariusz, but if it is a very hard problem, there is a chance that I fail you again.
I'd like to think I am good at maths but probably not better than others, but I could try to subcontract this to my supervisor and then take all the credit.
Feel free to message me.
PM