https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epd ... wilm.10692

rmax

Re: C++11 and C++14 Articles

August 10th, 2018, 3:26 pm

Cuchulainn wrote:
Cuchulainn wrote:
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/wilm.10692

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epd ... wilm.10692

I am not sure I necessarily agree with the last section on the programming paradigm etc. I am also not convinced that people write code alone - I have not worked in an environment like that for probably 20+ years, so small places yes, but larger institutions I think not. I also think that it is true that prorgramming projects can "rush straight in", but this has been known about for years (The mythical man month etc).  However it is interesting to note WHY people act in that way even though there is literature out there showing conclusively it is not the way to act.
My 2 cents for a Friday afternoon.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

Re: C++11 and C++14 Articles

August 10th, 2018, 8:52 pm

Some initial thoughts to mull over for the weekend (from Fred Brooks);

Chemical engineers learned long ago that a process that works in the laboratory cannot be implemented in a factory in one step. An intermediate step called the pilot plant is necessary....In most [software] projects, the first system is barely usable. It may be too slow, too big, awkward to use, or all three. There is no alternative but to start again, smarting but smarter, and build a redesigned version in which these problems are solved.... Delivering the throwaway to customers buys time, but it does so only at the cost of agony for the user, distraction for the builders while they do the redesign, and a bad reputation for the product that the best redesign will find hard to live down. Hence, plan to throw one away; you will, anyhow.

The other chapters discuss why this is so and Brooks points out one of his mistakes in the first edition--"David Parnas Was Right, and I Was Wrong About Information Hiding." 

My guess (I am fairly sure) that a large % of developers' Sapir-Whorp vocabulary does not contain the metaphors 'top-down', 'decomposition' and 'information hiding'. (this is part of your WHY remark.). There's a zillion ways to run a software project; not all are equal.

//
In part II we elaborate a bit more on loosely coupled systems and hiding nasty stuff behind black boxes (like legacy systems).

This paper is the second in a series of two on the design of software systems in computational finance. Both papers are concerned with applications using a combinationof C++, C#, and C++/CLI in the Microsoft .NET Framework. We create
a multilanguage application to value an equity-linked product. The actual pricing
of this product will be performed by the QuantLib Monte Carlo framework. We
use C++/CLI code as a wrapper class for native C++ code. Then, we use C# as a
front end to the C++/CLI wrapper, after having constructed transaction-related
parameters and market data. For flexible input data construction, a specific
factory mechanism will be implemented using Assembly, Reflection API, and
dynamic data types. Finally, we interface C# client code to Excel. The source code
for the application in this paper can be requested by contacting the authors. Since
this paper discusses how we implemented the application, we feel that compiling
and running the corresponding code will be an aid in understanding the design
rationale.

Keywords
native C++, C#, C++/CLI, interoperable and reusable code, multilanguage applications,
factory design, equity-linked products, Excel-DNA

//
'Software Engineering' is more of an art than science.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...