Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Marsden
Topic Author

Upcoming paper

November 19th, 2021, 2:47 pm

I am, I think, very near to completing my life's work so far.

After I get some feedback from a couple reviewers, I'll submit a paper to Wilmott Magazine. You'll want to have a copy of that issue.

If Wilmott declines to publish -- it's long for a magazine article -- I'll arrange here to make the paper available to anyone interested.

Salient points of the paper:
  • Number of types of birds referenced: 3 (parrot, hummingbird, buzzard)
  • References to Lord of the Rings: 1
The paper is more designed for a purely academic publication, but those are so much of a pain in the ass that I'm too disinterested in and too old anyway to care about academia, and it's already skirting the limits of readable English without being shoe-horned into some journal's standard writing style. And did I mention the reference to Lord of the Rings -- ?

Cheers, everyone.

Collector

Re: Upcoming paper

November 19th, 2021, 3:09 pm

(parrot, hummingbird, buzzard)

parrot = apply to most academics  (>99.99% as a fact)
hummingbird = 360 species so paper could still be rich in flavours.
buzzard = Mr Wilmott  ?
Lord of the Rings: Prof. Gandalf?

(completing my life's work so far: volume 1 of 9)

"You'll want to have a copy of that issue." in particular the cover picture!

Paul

November 19th, 2021, 5:19 pm

We've run articles on negative probabilities, space-time finance, we had one article titled "Sexy and Topless," that caused Deutsche to stop their subscription. (It was about a convertible car.) We've designed book covers for Wiley (actually one including a parrot!) that they rejected in favour of something blueish with some equations on it. (You don't climb the 17 levels of middle management at Wiley by showing any originality!) The only problem would be, as the actress said to the bishop, if it's too long you'll have to put it somewhere else!

Marsden
Topic Author

November 21st, 2021, 1:23 pm

All right; I'll count on the people who know how to put together a magazine issue to figure out something.

Collector

November 24th, 2021, 12:11 pm

"it's long for a magazine article "  "a magazine issue to figure out something." 

Format big enough as it is, so tips to the Editor of the Magazine: LaTeX : {\scriptsize }  function! 

Marsden
Topic Author

December 21st, 2021, 2:09 pm

Decided that I could eliminate most of the basic background stuff, with a "you really ought to understand these things" paragraph replacing it all. From what I've seen, standard education isn't always really great for a lot of basic background quantitative finance, but you can't fix everything. Not all at once, at least.

Anyway, the longer paper has been distilled into something that seems to me more reasonable for a magazine article for people who generally know what they're doing; the "battle-hardened veterans article version," as I think of it. And only half as long ... as the bishop said to the actress.

Sadly, all of the bird references ended up on the cutting floor. But I kept the Lord of the Rings bit.

If Paul declines to publish it -- which he may do for any number of reasons; no worries, Paul -- I'll post it here.

In any case, I begin the process of breaking my staff and drowning my book. I'll need to get back to the longer, "student's version" and make some (hopefully) final changes, so that youth might equally have the opportunity to be corrupted. I don't think I'll bother with trying to get that published.

And with that, Happy Solstice and Merry Christmas.

trackstar

December 21st, 2021, 8:16 pm

Sounds interesting.  Maybe they can produce a Special Issue in 2022 - "Odds and Ends" - or "The Olde Curiosity Cabinet"... including work like this, quant sci-fi, whatever else almost made it but they ran out of space and time...

Ample room for art work too. Look forward to reading it in either case, Marsden. 

Good to see you here again and happy holidays!

Marsden
Topic Author

December 22nd, 2021, 1:57 pm

Thanks Trackstar.

I hope you can rend something usable out of it.

And I hope I don't end up ruining the Central Limit Theorem for everyone!  :D