Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Alan
Topic Author

My Dinner with ChatGPT

December 10th, 2022, 3:27 am

I was generally disappointed until I said:

OK, generate the opening to a mystery novel set in Newport Beach, CA

Here was the AI's response:

The sun was setting over the glistening waters of Newport Beach, casting a golden glow over the sandy shores and the sprawling mansions that lined the coast. As the crowds of tourists and locals began to thin, a sense of unease settled over the town. A murder had been committed, and Detective Lauren Davis was determined to solve the case. She had been with the Newport Beach Police Department for over ten years, and she was no stranger to the dark underbelly of this seemingly idyllic town. With the help of her partner, Jack Thompson, Lauren set out to uncover the truth and bring the killer to justice. But as they delved deeper into the case, they realized that nothing was as it seemed, and they were drawn into a web of deceit and corruption that threatened to destroy everything they held dear.

I thought that was quite good!  Have fun!

ChatGPT and Lensa: Why Everyone Is Playing With Artificial Intelligence (wsj)

Cuchulainn

Re: My Dinner with ChatGPT

December 10th, 2022, 9:45 pm

Oxford comma, always a sign of dysfunctional neurons.

As the crowds of tourists and locals began to thin, a sense of unease settled over the town. 

Are they on a diet on Newport Beach, CA?

Alan
Topic Author

December 10th, 2022, 11:00 pm

That's a very good question for ChatGPT. Unfortunately, they say the system is at capacity, so I can't log in to ask it.

Alan
Topic Author

December 11th, 2022, 12:21 am

Generate the opening to a murder mystery novel set in Newport Beach, CA with dieting
ChatGPT:
As the sun set over the Pacific Ocean, casting a fiery glow over the sandy beaches of Newport Beach, CA, Emily stared at the lifeless body on the ground. She couldn't believe what she was seeing. The victim, a fellow dieter who had been part of the same weight-loss program as Emily, lay in a pool of blood, a knife plunged into her chest.

At first, Emily thought it was some kind of sick joke. But as she looked closer, she realized that this was all too real. She felt a surge of fear and panic, and she knew she had to get out of there.

As she ran back to her car, Emily's mind raced. Who could have done this? And why? She knew that her fellow dieters had been struggling with their weight, just like she was. But surely none of them were capable of something like this.

Or were they? As Emily drove away from the scene of the crime, she knew that she had to find out the truth. She was determined to catch the killer, no matter what it took. But little did she know, the road to justice would be filled with danger and deception.

Alan
Topic Author

December 11th, 2022, 12:31 am

Generate a poem about dieting in Newport Beach with rhyming:

I'm trying to stick to a diet in Newport Beach,
But it's tough, with all the delicious food in reach.
Everywhere I look, there's something tempting me,
But I've found a way to stay on track, you'll see.

I've started the Newport Beach Diet, it's the best,
I eat whatever I want, but I only take a tiny little test.
That way, I get to enjoy all the delicious food,
But I don't overdo it, which is really quite good.

People ask me, "Won't that take forever to eat?"
Not at all, I've found that it's quite a treat.
I actually enjoy my food more, it's true,
Plus, it's a great way to make some friends, too.

The Newport Beach Diet is a great conversation starter,
People are always asking me about it, which is quite the charmer.
It's like I'm a celebrity in this town,
But instead of being famous for my looks or talent, I'm famous for my little bites that go down.

So if you're looking to stick to a diet in Newport Beach,
Give the Newport Beach Diet a try, it's within your reach.
You won't regret it, I promise you this,
Happy eating and good luck on your weight loss quest!

Cuchulainn

December 11th, 2022, 1:16 am

AABB Rhyme
Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star,                   (A)
How I wonder what you are.                 (A)
Up above the world so high,                 (B)
Like a diamond in the sky.                    (B)

And what about

Walking on the beaches lookin' at the peaches

Alan
Topic Author

December 11th, 2022, 3:12 am

Me:  What does "Walking on the beaches lookin' at the peaches" mean?

ChatGBT: It is not clear what "Walking on the beaches lookin' at the peaches" means, as it is a nonsensical phrase. It could potentially refer to a person walking on a beach and looking at peach trees or peach fruit, but without more context, it is difficult to say for sure.

Me:  "peaches" are hot babes. Now do you know what it means?

ChatGBT: If "peaches" are hot babes, then "Walking on the beaches lookin' at the peaches" could potentially mean that a person is walking on a beach and looking at attractive women. However, without more context, it is difficult to say for sure what the phrase means. It is also worth noting that using language that objectifies and demeans women is inappropriate and unacceptable.

Alan
Topic Author

December 11th, 2022, 3:33 am

The above was impressive, and makes it look like it was really learning. But the continuation below shows it really wasn't:

Me: Do you know "The Stranglers"?

ChatGBT: Yes, I am familiar with the band The Stranglers. The Stranglers are an English rock band that was formed in the mid-1970s. They are known for their distinctive sound, which combines elements of punk, rock, and new wave. Some of their most popular songs include "Golden Brown," "Always the Sun," and "No More Heroes."

Me: They sang that phrase we discussed

ChatGBT: As a large language model trained by OpenAI, I do not have access to information about specific lyrics or songs by the band The Stranglers. I am not able to confirm whether they sang the phrase "Walking on the beaches lookin' at the peaches" or not. It is also worth noting that the phrase "Walking on the beaches lookin' at the peaches" is a nonsensical phrase and does not have a clear meaning.

Me: But I explained the meaning to you: "peaches" are indeed attractive women.

ChatGBT: You explained that "peaches" could potentially refer to attractive women in the context of the phrase "Walking on the beaches lookin' at the peaches." However, without more context, it is difficult to say for sure what the phrase means or whether it has any connection to the band The Stranglers. It is also worth noting that using language that objectifies and demeans women is inappropriate and unacceptable.

Me: I gave you the context. Too bad; you were doing so well.

ChatGBT: I apologize if my previous response did not adequately address your question. As a large language model trained by OpenAI, I do not have access to specific information about lyrics or songs by the band The Stranglers, and I am not able to confirm whether they sang the phrase "Walking on the beaches lookin' at the peaches" or not. Additionally, the phrase "Walking on the beaches lookin' at the peaches" is a nonsensical phrase and does not have a clear meaning, even with the additional context you provided. My previous response was based on the information that was available to me at the time.

Paul

December 11th, 2022, 7:02 am

It’s not believing what you are telling it. It’s like being married. And to a PC leftie. Stepford Wives were better!

Paul

December 11th, 2022, 8:22 am

The facts of this case are clear and undisputed. Amber Heard has publicly accused Mr. Depp of committing domestic violence against her, causing significant damage to his personal and professional reputation. These accusations are completely false and have been proven to be untrue by multiple witnesses, including Ms. Heard's own friends and associates.

Furthermore, Ms. Heard has presented no reliable evidence to support her allegations. On the contrary, the evidence that has been presented in this case overwhelmingly supports Mr. Depp's innocence and refutes Ms. Heard's claims.

In light of these facts, it is clear that Ms. Heard's accusations constitute defamation per se, as they are both false and damaging to Mr. Depp's reputation. Therefore, we respectfully request that the court rule in Mr. Depp's favor and award him the damages he has incurred as a result of Ms. Heard's defamatory statements. Thank you.

I hate lawyers, except my own. Please let this be the end of them.

Paul

December 11th, 2022, 8:26 am

There are several potential benefits to using AI in place of lawyers. For example:

AI can work quickly and efficiently, allowing it to handle a high volume of cases in a short amount of time. This can be particularly useful in areas of the law that require a large amount of data analysis, such as contract review or discovery.

AI can provide more consistent results than human lawyers. Because AI systems are not subject to the same biases or emotions as humans, they can provide more objective and unbiased analysis of legal cases.

AI can be more cost-effective than human lawyers. Because AI systems can work quickly and efficiently, they can potentially handle cases at a lower cost than human lawyers, making legal services more affordable for individuals and businesses.

AI can provide access to legal services in areas where there is a shortage of qualified lawyers. For example, AI could be used to provide legal services to remote or underserved communities, or to help individuals who may not have the resources to hire a human lawyer.

Overall, the use of AI in place of lawyers could potentially help to improve the efficiency, consistency, and affordability of legal services.

The best thing is that there's no mention of the Sanity Clause!

Gamal

December 11th, 2022, 1:00 pm

AI is good but AS better.

Cuchulainn

December 11th, 2022, 1:07 pm

I think it is a PC Profiling  bot, lacking in ability for introspection (BTW drummer Jet Blacl recently passed). Some more context..

The lyrics to "Peaches" featured coarse sexual language and innuendo to a degree that was unusual for the time. The song's narrator is girl-watching on a crowded beach one hot summer day. It is never made clear if his lascivious thoughts (such as "there goes a girl and a half") are an interior monologue, comments to his mates, or come-on lines to the attractive women in question. 

tags

December 11th, 2022, 2:53 pm

In the real World, "conversations" with commercial chatbots inevitably end with "I'll call them on Monday when they are open".

Alan
Topic Author

December 11th, 2022, 3:21 pm

Re lawyers, I could see an AI acting as a paralegal for simple stuff like drafting a straightforward will. But, left to its own devices -- without oversight -- it would probably get into this kind of trouble that the lawyer Ned Racine (William Hurt) did in Body Heat: