Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Cuchulainn

Re: My Dinner with ChatGPT

April 25th, 2023, 11:35 pm

Briliiant; thank you, bearish.

So, while Julia does use some elements of duck typing, such as the ability to treat objects as different types based on their behavior, type inference in Julia is a more specific process that is used to optimize code based on the specific types being used, rather than just allowing objects to be treated as different types based on their behavior.

From the italics, ChatGPT repeats itself. Short term memory problem.

bearish

April 26th, 2023, 3:33 am

As for the other question, the first thing that attracted me to Julia was the fact that

f(x) = x^2

is a well defined function, and one that can be applied to an integer, a float, or a square matrix. And if you call it as f.(A), it will happily apply it element by element to A. The next one would be the speed. At some point I’ll betray the fact that I’m not that much of a programmer, but I like the idea of being able to encapsulate the relevant environment in toml files.

Paul

April 26th, 2023, 6:06 am

As for the other question, the first thing that attracted me to Julia was the fact that

f(x) = x^2

is a well defined function, and one that can be applied to an integer, a float, or a square matrix. And if you  call it as f.(A), it will happily apply it element by element to A. The next one would be the speed. At some point I’ll betray the fact that I’m not that much of a programmer, but I like the idea of being able to encapsulate the relevant environment in toml files.
If you know what a toml file is you are a programmer. I don't know what it is, and haven't googled it. Unless it's a typo? My environment is a bit chilly, but should get warmer this weekend.

Cuchulainn

April 26th, 2023, 3:57 pm

f(x) = x^2

is a well defined function, and one that can be applied to an integer, a float, or a square matrix. And if you  call it as f.(A), it will happily apply it element by element to A. The next one would be the speed. At some point I’ll betray the fact that I’m not that much of a programmer, but I like the idea of being able to encapsulate the relevant environment in toml files.
If you know what a toml file is you are a programmer. I don't know what it is, and haven't googled it. Unless it's a typo? My environment is a bit chilly, but should get warmer this weekend.
Don't google, ask ChatGPT!
Better still StackOverflow
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/720 ... -toml-file

Cuchulainn

April 26th, 2023, 8:17 pm

I just don't like Julia for technical, ideological and subjective reasons. A random search

In 2022, Julia is niche-dead, and presumably won’t resurrect. The key reason is that albeit it is intended to solve the so called “two language problem”, in fact it has failed to do so. The full concept of Julia is useless in the industry for use cases where speed really matters, outside high performance scientific simulations, so the industry keeps using C++ and presumably Rust for data-intensive applications. The achilles heel of Julia is its garbage collector and also that it tries to compile the source code during the first execution, which is epic fail for industrial usage. In the meantime, Python is catching up with speed at the use cases where it truly matters (with FastAPI, Numba etc.) and where real runtime performance is needed, C++ is the king and Rust will soon be the queen (with PyO3 and tons of other libraries). Julia has no chance against these giants. It will probably survive as a scientific simulation language, though.

Cuchulainn

April 26th, 2023, 8:20 pm

f(x) = x^2
is a well defined function, and one that can be applied to an integer, a float, or a square matrix.

This is called overloading. Many languages have this since forever, e.g. Haskell, C++, C# etc.

Here is the last word IMO
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=72065&start=15

// Mathematicians shouldn't write compilers. Stick to knitting.

bearish

April 26th, 2023, 11:28 pm

Yes, I think we can agree that ideological and subjective reasons dominate in the language wars. Your source seems to favor Rust, which I find to be exactly as exciting as it sounds.

Cuchulainn

April 27th, 2023, 3:46 pm

Yes, I think we can agree that ideological and subjective reasons dominate in the language wars. Your source seems to favor Rust, which I find to be exactly as exciting as it sounds.
It gets worse

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=102755

And Linda language (after Linda Lovelace). Probably before your time.

Cuchulainn

May 12th, 2023, 8:20 pm

bearish

May 12th, 2023, 8:30 pm

It gets worse

I briefly confused her with Ada, who was definitely before my time. Maybe even yours.

Cuchulainn

May 12th, 2023, 8:56 pm

It gets worse

I briefly confused her with Ada, who was definitely before my time. Maybe even yours.
Oh no, oi oi

Alan
Topic Author

May 23rd, 2023, 10:59 pm

Me
Do you know the world's shortest joke?

ChatGPT
Yes, I'm familiar with the concept of short jokes. However, humor is subjective, and what one person finds funny, another may not. That being said, one popular contender for the world's shortest joke is:

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

This joke plays on the ambiguity of the word "flies," which can refer to both the verb "to fly" and the noun "flies" (insects). By using this wordplay, the joke delivers a surprising twist in a concise manner.

Remember, humor can vary greatly among individuals, so what may be amusing to some might not necessarily elicit the same response from others.

Me
I've got one with two words: 
"Pretentious, moi?"

ChatGPT
That's a clever and concise joke! It plays on the notion of pretentiousness by using a French phrase. The word "moi" means "me" in French, so the joke translates to "Pretentious, me?" It humorously suggests that the speaker is questioning whether they could possibly be seen as pretentious, despite using a French phrase in their statement. It's a lighthearted and self-aware play on words.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The wsj had an interesting editorial that ChatGPT is getting us very close (say 5 years) to the AI tutor (the Primer)
of Neal Stephenson's "The Diamond Age, or a Young Lady's Illustrated Primer". I think we may be closer.

Cuchulainn

May 24th, 2023, 9:17 am

gawd
and for 20 bucks a month.

tags

May 29th, 2023, 9:25 am

gawd
and for 20 bucks a month.
did you subscribe???
blame yourself then!!  lol

tags

May 29th, 2023, 9:29 am

BLOOM: A 176B-Parameter Open-Access Multilingual Language Model

300+ co-authors...
I'm also wondering if people really need to write a "research paper" everytime they tweak a parameter in their sklearn-based snippet code.