Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Traden4Alpha

Re: New 2nd Edition - The Complete Guide to Option Pricing Formulas + CD-ROM by Espen Gaarder Haug

June 6th, 2018, 4:21 pm

I think that you perceive people getting old is actually more to do with your perception than with the arrow of time. We exist in a very very strange area of the universe, most of it is extremely linear and uniform. The odd hydrogen atom here or there, and then a huge load of hydrogen atoms and helium, but actually very simple. Nothing to indicate that time flows one way or another. You perceiving people getting old is a very very special case, and possibly limited to 1E-25% of space.
The more I think about this, the more I think that there is no real arrow of time, positrons are electrons that move backwards through time, equations are generally invariant as to the sign of time. The old get out clause of time being defined by entropy is wholly unsatisfactory. "Entropy increasing" is actually YOU choosing that measure. Take for example a room with smoke on one corner, over time it will diffuse and fill the whole room. You average physics student will come along and say: Hey neat, the smoke beforehand was in a highly ordered state, and now it is in a low ordered state, entropy has increased and hence it gives me the arrow of time - film it and it will be obvious that the film running backwards looks wrong.
However the Physics student has arbitrarily decided that the smoke over the room is less ordered than the smoke in the corner. The only thing that differs in those two states is the conscious choice of the smoke states being different and labeling one as special.
As with a number of other physical phenomena Physics seems very very dependent on the person doing the measuring, and the measurement is a way of measuring information. T4A description is neat, in encompasses this in markets, but I think that it is something that we see as we delve into the extremes of physics.
Why do we never perceive an adult turning into a baby and returning to the womb?  

Why do we never see a star unsupernovaing, fissioning iron, silicon, oxygen, carbon, helium etc. back to a slowing expanding cloud of hydrogen?
Good question, but I don't know much about the vagaries of the human brain so I will pass on that one and just be comfortable that it my brain that perceives time and it is not a real concept!
I strongly suspect that time is an objective phenomenon independent of the observer. It may be a consequence of different neighboring material configurations having different energy states. For example an He4 nucleus has lower energy than do four protons. Occasionally, four protons end up coalescing in to one helium nucleus + two emitted positrons and energy but rarely does energy + positrons + helium nucleus result in four protons.

The asymmetry of time's arrow arises from the asymmetries of energies.

rmax

Re: New 2nd Edition - The Complete Guide to Option Pricing Formulas + CD-ROM by Espen Gaarder Haug

June 8th, 2018, 12:09 pm

Why do we never perceive an adult turning into a baby and returning to the womb?  

Why do we never see a star unsupernovaing, fissioning iron, silicon, oxygen, carbon, helium etc. back to a slowing expanding cloud of hydrogen?
Good question, but I don't know much about the vagaries of the human brain so I will pass on that one and just be comfortable that it my brain that perceives time and it is not a real concept!
I strongly suspect that time is an objective phenomenon independent of the observer.  It may be a consequence of different neighboring material configurations having different energy states.  For example an He4 nucleus has lower energy than do four protons.  Occasionally, four protons end up coalescing in to one helium nucleus + two emitted positrons and energy but rarely does energy + positrons + helium nucleus result in four protons.

The asymmetry of time's arrow arises from the asymmetries of energies.
Stellar Collapse?

Cuchulainn

June 8th, 2018, 9:14 pm

stellar collapse?

"quid est ergo tempus?"

Collector

June 13th, 2018, 5:44 am

at the subatomic level all elementary particles are Compton clocks, they are discrete ticking clocks, each tick is 1.17*10^(-51) kg, an electron ticks approx 10^20 per second (half of Zitterbewegung). Clock ticks are kg! kg is clock ticks. It is the same thing. No one can observe time without mass, pure energy alone cannot be observed (without mass, detector).  Even photon photon collisions are mass, so they are time, they are kg. (one kg approx 8.52*10^50 ticks), the kg a randomly selected practical clump of matter. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVIAtIHcehM  mass in kg is simply clock frequency ratio: 7.76*10^20/(8.52*10^50) = electron mass in kg

And I would not trust theorists at Princeton:
 “I prove that quantum theory rules out the possibility of any quantity that one might call ’the time interval between two events.’" Halvorsen Princeton University. He blindly trust the Pauli objection.

or should we trust experiments? “This directly demonstrates the connection between time and mass” http://science.sciencemag.org/content/339/6119/554

"the rest mass of a particle is associated to a rest periodicity known as Compton periodicity”" Dolce and Perali 2015 European Journal of Physics Plus

the arrow of time I do not understand, possibly it could be linked to gravity. Gravity drags you down!

Collector

June 13th, 2018, 8:15 am

Does this thing have a name you are talking about? Looks like a Cauchy surface to me
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cauchy_surface

time  moves in one direction.
Sure about that? Can we prove it or is it just one's imagination?
why are people getting old, at least seems correlated to the flow of time in most cases, and I have not seen many getting younger, but correlation do not necessarily imply causality (why are so few people aware of the reversal button on the back of their head? it is like they drive a car and never figured out how to put it in reverse, and then sooner or later drive off the cliff). On a quantum level is there an arrow of time or not?
I think that you perceive people getting old is actually more to do with your perception than with the arrow of time. We exist in a very very strange area of the universe, most of it is extremely linear and uniform. The odd hydrogen atom here or there, and then a huge load of hydrogen atoms and helium, but actually very simple. Nothing to indicate that time flows one way or another. You perceiving people getting old is a very very special case, and possibly limited to 1E-25% of space.
The more I think about this, the more I think that there is no real arrow of time, positrons are electrons that move backwards through time, equations are generally invariant as to the sign of time. The old get out clause of time being defined by entropy is wholly unsatisfactory. "Entropy increasing" is actually YOU choosing that measure. Take for example a room with smoke on one corner, over time it will diffuse and fill the whole room. You average physics student will come along and say: Hey neat, the smoke beforehand was in a highly ordered state, and now it is in a low ordered state, entropy has increased and hence it gives me the arrow of time - film it and it will be obvious that the film running backwards looks wrong.
However the Physics student has arbitrarily decided that the smoke over the room is less ordered than the smoke in the corner. The only thing that differs in those two states is the conscious choice of the smoke states being different and labeling one as special.
As with a number of other physical phenomena Physics seems very very dependent on the person doing the measuring, and the measurement is a way of measuring information. T4A description is neat, in encompasses this in markets, but I think that it is something that we see as we delve into the extremes of physics.
concerning Entropy: Entropy the Truth the Whole Truth and Nothing but the Truth by Ben-Naim seems to be a good book on entropy and the many myths around entropy. But no one understands entropy as we do not understand time?

Collector

June 18th, 2019, 2:48 pm

Second Yin-Yang edition

I have no idea what P. W. is saying, but I hope it is something good
Screen Shot 2019-06-18 at 4.44.50 PM.png

Collector

June 18th, 2019, 2:51 pm

[attachment=0]IMG_4532.JPG[/attachment]
Attachments
IMG_4532.JPG
Last edited by Collector on June 18th, 2019, 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FaridMoussaoui

June 18th, 2019, 2:59 pm

期权定价的经典指南一现在更新至超过60个全新的期权模型和公式
・一如菜你只能带一本书与莎士比亚的作品、班尼4希尔的小品集和带有卫星网络连接的电脑一起去
一个叉岛.那这本书会是我的,不,不。我的愈思是你带的书是他写的,就带埃斯彭的这本书。”
―保罗・成尔英特(PauI Wilmott),教学家、作家

You can now use your favorite translator.

Collector

June 18th, 2019, 3:18 pm

it was translated by Shanghai stock exchange, I think they are better translators into Chinese than P. Wilmott (but what do i know, he used to have some hidden talents, cheese making etc.. )

Cuchulainn

June 18th, 2019, 4:44 pm

Who was the copy-editor?

BTW when we expect 3rd Edition using Python?

Collector

June 18th, 2019, 5:09 pm

"Who was the copy-editor?" not sure, could it have been Paul?

I am thinking of making a C# and a Python 3rd version....but mostly thinking about it...

Cuchulainn

June 18th, 2019, 6:44 pm

Seriously, a C# version would be great!

FaridMoussaoui

June 18th, 2019, 7:08 pm

I am thinking of making a C# and a Python 3rd version....but mostly thinking about it...
For the sake of Kvasir, not Cthing. Not that shit.

ExSan

August 9th, 2019, 11:01 pm

El sur tambien existe. Cuando va a estar este libro en Castellano?
°°° About ExSan bit.ly/3U5bIdq °°°

katastrofa

August 9th, 2019, 11:17 pm

It's about trading derivatives, not cocaine.