SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

ASchmidt
Topic Author

Dynamic Hedging (Taleb) Errata list available?

August 4th, 2007, 10:52 am

What a great book! ...but some guys on amazon.com critisised its "many typos", so I was wondering if those alleged typos have been corrected in more recent printings or if there is some errata pdf online?Best,A

WilmottBookshop

August 13th, 2007, 1:31 pm

Dynamic Hedging: Managing Vanilla and Exotic Options is instock and available at a competitive price from the Wilmott Bookshop.

amitbatra

August 22nd, 2007, 4:37 pm

Are the WilmottBookshop replies auto generated?

grafton

October 19th, 2007, 3:41 pm

Are you insane? That book is a serious piece of junk, typos or not.

Kurtosis

October 29th, 2007, 11:27 pm

He is right. Dynamic hedging is unreadable. Dreadful. Horrible. Arrogant (unbearably so). Flawed. Full of typos. Full of logical mistakes. Its foundations are totally shaky. How can anyone read it?You should consider reading another book instead of trying to make sense of this one.I should get a list of the books grafton does not like and make sure I never read them
Last edited by Kurtosis on October 29th, 2007, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Collector

October 30th, 2007, 12:56 pm

Hi Nassim (Mr kurtosis) long time since we have seen you here, did you have a triple espresso this morning
Last edited by Collector on October 29th, 2007, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

player

October 31st, 2007, 2:42 pm

QuoteAre the WilmottBookshop replies auto generated? either that or someone is paid to surf the web all day to look for posts on books wilmott bookshop sells .....lol

msperlin

October 31st, 2007, 2:50 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: playerQuoteAre the WilmottBookshop replies auto generated? either that or someone is paid to surf the web all day to look for posts on books wilmott bookshop sells .....lolI think its probably auto generated. With any simple filter to match words in a specific database (eg. title of the books) can do this. Even deterministically (exact case and not a probabilistic approach).For someone who knows to program in this forum system, its a pretty simple filter.Let me try this:Against the Gods: The Remarkable Story of RiskOptions, Futures, and Other Derivatives What do you have to say about that WilmottBookshop !!

WilmottBookshop

October 31st, 2007, 2:59 pm

Good afternoon all!I'm a real person! Be nice! I can give you those links if you would like them? WilmottBookshop

msperlin

October 31st, 2007, 3:16 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: WilmottBookshopGood afternoon all!I'm a real person! Be nice! I can give you those links if you would like them? WilmottBookshophaha, So sorry. No need for the links.I really thought it was computer generated...

Cuchulainn

November 1st, 2007, 1:38 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: msperlinQuoteOriginally posted by: WilmottBookshopGood afternoon all!I'm a real person! Be nice! I can give you those links if you would like them? WilmottBookshopI really thought it was computer generated...Msperlin,Are you it's not this?QuoteThe Turing test is a proposal for a test of a machine's capability to demonstrate intelligence. Described by Professor Alan Turing in the 1950 paper "Computing machinery and intelligence," it proceeds as follows: a human judge engages in a natural language conversation with one human and one machine, each of which try to appear human; if the judge cannot reliably tell which is which, then the machine is said to pass the test. In order to keep the test setting simple and universal (to explicitly test the linguistic capability of the machine instead of its ability to render words into audio), the conversation is usually limited to a text-only channel such as a teletype machine as Turing suggested or, more recently, IRC or instant messaging.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on October 31st, 2007, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

msperlin

November 1st, 2007, 1:48 pm

QuoteMsperlin,Are you it's not this?No, I`m not sure.As you pointed out, Wilmott forum managers could be playing tricks on us, and laughing all day long while drinking their tea. QuoteI'm a real person! Be nice! I can give you those links if you would like them? WilmottBookshop can you provide evidence that you're human ??

WilmottBookshop

November 1st, 2007, 2:01 pm

Ummmmm, well to err is human? so I could spell things wrong, but then my boss would be cross and I guess you programme a computer to get things wrong on purpose!!!?!! oh heck! I do like tea though. Humpf, do computers get dispirited?

msperlin

November 1st, 2007, 2:13 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: WilmottBookshopUmmmmm, well to err is human? so I could spell things wrong, but then my boss would be cross and I guess you programme a computer to get things wrong on purpose!!!?!! oh heck! I do like tea though. Humpf, do computers get dispirited?Hmm, not a very good argument. You boss could be in this too. I have no evidence of otherwise.And the way you argumented towards your boss is quite direct. It seem that you're trying to convince us with some logical arguments that you're not a machine. What's your motivations ? That looks like a machine defensive behavior to me! This logic can be extended to the errors as well. Any clever use of random numbers can simulate gramatic errors (for instance, with a markov chain changing from a "error state" to a "non error state").If you're not a machine, why do you want so much to convince us that you indeed human ??
Last edited by msperlin on October 31st, 2007, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tbento

June 5th, 2008, 10:39 am

Instead of getting upset over a lateral comment how about answering the thread's question: is there an Errata or not?
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On