SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

TraderJoe

Paul Wilmott book

April 4th, 2008, 4:40 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: jawabeani've heard two opposite opinions from 2 friends of mine. one said that it's the best book on QF, the other guy said it's crap.I'd say the other guy was not a very good quant.

quantmeh

Paul Wilmott book

April 4th, 2008, 5:56 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: TraderJoeQuoteOriginally posted by: jawabeani've heard two opposite opinions from 2 friends of mine. one said that it's the best book on QF, the other guy said it's crap.I'd say the other guy was not a very good quant.i bet he'll read this quip

biofa

Paul Wilmott book

April 5th, 2008, 9:37 am

ahah she's ex, but this isn't due to Paul's 3 volume set!!! but it could be a dangerous weapon ahah!!q]Originally posted by: DCFCYour ex girlfriend ?Is getting a copy of Paul's Big book of banking grounds for breakup ?

ppauper

Paul Wilmott book

April 5th, 2008, 1:00 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: TraderJoeQuoteOriginally posted by: jawabeani've heard two opposite opinions from 2 friends of mine. one said that it's the best book on QF, the other guy said it's crap.I'd say the other guy was not a very good quant.Some folks for no rational reason have a favorite standard quant text, be it wilmott or hull or kwok or...., and when they hear that someone else has a different favorite, rather than say "that's good too", they somehow suppose that knocking the other book makes there's look better.

TraderJoe

Paul Wilmott book

April 5th, 2008, 4:10 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: TraderJoeQuoteOriginally posted by: jawabeani've heard two opposite opinions from 2 friends of mine. one said that it's the best book on QF, the other guy said it's crap.I'd say the other guy was not a very good quant.Some folks for no rational reason have a favorite standard quant text, be it wilmott or hull or kwok or...., and when they hear that someone else has a different favorite, rather than say "that's good too", they somehow suppose that knocking the other book makes there's look better.Thanks for the clarification. So its a pride thing rather than an ability thing?

Maelo

Paul Wilmott book

April 5th, 2008, 10:24 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: mjQuoteOriginally posted by: PaulMaelo,You'll have to speak to publisher about commission, they make all the money, not the author. (Although I suspect they spend a lot of it on drink!)Pthe key thing is to get the editor to buy lunch...Boy!!! That's really hard!!

ppauper

Paul Wilmott book

April 6th, 2008, 4:50 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: TraderJoeThanks for the clarification. So its a pride thing rather than an ability thing?it could be either or both

mj

Paul Wilmott book

April 6th, 2008, 8:45 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: MaeloQuoteOriginally posted by: mjQuoteOriginally posted by: PaulMaelo,You'll have to speak to publisher about commission, they make all the money, not the author. (Although I suspect they spend a lot of it on drink!)Pthe key thing is to get the editor to buy lunch...Boy!!! That's really hard!!actually, it's quite easy -- they have generous expense accounts

TraderJoe

Paul Wilmott book

September 19th, 2008, 9:52 pm

No doubt Paul will have some serious updating and expanding to do now after the subprime malarchy in the chapter entitled "Derivatives F**k Ups".

Paul

Paul Wilmott book

September 19th, 2008, 11:47 pm

Maybe more examples, but there's nothing new happening.In the chapter where I say how bad CDO models are ("I have to say that some of these instruments and models being used for these instruments fill me with some nervousness and concerns for the future of the global financial markets") I might add an "I told you so."P

TraderJoe

Paul Wilmott book

September 20th, 2008, 12:11 am

Two things are different about this hundred year storm:1. The scale - multiply the worst derivatives f**k up in your chapter by 100 and you have the subprime fallout.2. The type - this is systemic, not confined to just one bank or hedge fund.This is a disaster of truly biblical proportion.The folly of man...

barny

Paul Wilmott book

September 20th, 2008, 2:35 am

Personally, I've found the book very bad so far. It jumps from equation to equation and from statement to statement and expects you to fill in the blanks - a lot of the points are very ambigious and I'm simply puzzled as to how they've been arrived at - for a newbie to quant finance this is impossible! I bought the book because I'm brand new to derivatives and from the reviews it seems as if it was a good study guide for beginners. I've found the complete opposite, I also really hate the way the book is printed(font, layout). I'm finding Hull much more satisfying(nice equations, nice step-by-step explanations of what's going on behind the equations) and then I sometimes read the Wilmott book for a more intuitive overview. In general as a first book for quant finance I don't recommend the Single Volume version of Paul Wilmott on Quantitative Finance..

Paul

Paul Wilmott book

September 20th, 2008, 8:07 am

TJ, that's really just people being even more sheep-like than usual!barny, they do warn in the book's publicity that you'll either love it or hate it! The definition of 'beginners' includes knowledge of calculus, depending on the level of your maths you might think things are skipped when others wouldn't. If I give an 'advanced' course these days I find that a lot of people attend have what I would call very mediocre skills. This wasn't the case a decade ago. This is unfortunate for everyone concerned. But then that's not just quant finance that's education in the west. If you are struggling, barny, then read some of the Schaum books. If you PM me I can give you a list. I can help you get through my terrible book! (BTW you'll probably hate the three-volume PWOQF2 even more!)P

TraderJoe

Paul Wilmott book

September 20th, 2008, 8:39 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: barnyPersonally, I've found the book very bad so far. It jumps from equation to equation and from statement to statement and expects you to fill in the blanks - a lot of the points are very ambigious and I'm simply puzzled as to how they've been arrived at - for a newbie to quant finance this is impossible! I bought the book because I'm brand new to derivatives and from the reviews it seems as if it was a good study guide for beginners. I've found the complete opposite, I also really hate the way the book is printed(font, layout). I'm finding Hull much more satisfying(nice equations, nice step-by-step explanations of what's going on behind the equations) and then I sometimes read the Wilmott book for a more intuitive overview. In general as a first book for quant finance I don't recommend the Single Volume version of Paul Wilmott on Quantitative Finance..Keep going young man, and some day you will find books like "Wilmott" easy. Then you will start to read books by Revuz & Yor .

Paul

Paul Wilmott book

September 20th, 2008, 3:17 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: TraderJoeThen you will start to read books by Revuz & YorA good mathematics book. But I don't think they claim it has much to do with finance. At least I hope they don't!P
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On