SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

outrun

Re: Stupid question of the day

August 10th, 2017, 8:37 pm

outrun

August 10th, 2017, 9:08 pm

Some time ago me and a friend ran into a hilarious situation. We were contracted by a bank to build some models and everything was very smooth. At the end of the project we were asked to visit the company who did all the contractors payment stuff for the bank. Turns out that company also did some recruitment on the side and they wanted to put us in their database.

..so we entered their office and the first thing we notices was that the secretaries had huge red clown lips, soapy hair and extreme short miniskirts .. a bit unconventional and strange. They asked us to wait in a side room, and when we entered it it was all dark wood with leather and *all* wall plastered with motivational posters like below! There must have been 60 different ones, all nicely framed. So we started reading them out loud,.. and they were so cheeky, and so many, we couldn't stop laughing. We started taking pictures of us next to them, posing while expressing the emotion that would go with the posters.
I was getting a bit worries that someone would enter the room and find us like that and so we decided to leave and go home. We still have the pictures. We also reported the company to the bank, not because of the posters but because of illegal (according to Dutch law) extremely negative contract terms they tried to let us sign.

Cuchulainn

August 11th, 2017, 10:34 am

yeah,middlemen...
What did you not like about the contract?

// The photos were meant as a distraction, which seems to have worked.
http://www.datasimfinancial.com

"Science is what you know, Philosophy is what you don't know" Bertrand Russell.

outrun

August 11th, 2017, 11:44 am

Yes middleman. We were hired by the bank directly, but they wanted to step in between.

I didn't like the bit where they offered a loan to bridge the time between the bank paying them, and them paying you earlier....for a 5% charge / month. At first glance this looks harmless: if you need the money fast you can do it, it's a choice you can make yourself.

However, if you analyze it then this is a credit facility clause with a 5% rate for 30  days loan, which is a 79% interest rate on an annual basis. The maximum allowed credit rate according to Dutch law is 16% on an annual basis. So they were providing illegal loan shark services, .. and so we reported them. Some people think they can get away with anything. They had dozens of rip-off clauses for charging for fake services and offloading risks.

I also have the opposite experience with middleman. Some pay me the day I send an invoice without caring when they get paid.
In those days I was in the database of a lot of consultancy firms, but after this I asked copies of all the terms and told about half of them that their terms were not interesting enough for me to continue the collaboration. There were 3 consultancy firms that added 30% on top of my bill! They don't want to disclose that, .. they don't like transparency. (but again, other are fully transparent about the fees they charge towards clients).

Cuchulainn

August 11th, 2017, 12:40 pm

An important issue (at least in the past) is how the tax office sees the middleman... does the latter pay all those social security payments? If he doesn't then watch out.

In general,. it is better having a BV than being a ZZPer. 

I didn't like the bit where they offered a loan to bridge the time between the bank paying them, and them paying you earlier....for a 5% charge / month.

Skewed.Indeed, just ring the AFM.

And it is always a good idea to ring the tax office if something is not clear tell the middleman you are going to do that.

And as last shot, tell them it's against EU law. That really gets them panicky. Penalties must be paid

http://europa.eu/youreurope/business/sell-abroad/payments/late-payment/index_en.htm
Last edited by Cuchulainn on August 11th, 2017, 1:17 pm

frolloos

August 11th, 2017, 12:46 pm

The always set the trail, never follow the path poster looks very desolate and depressing. Do some actually find that inspiring and uplifting I wonder.

outrun

August 11th, 2017, 1:08 pm

Cuch, yes, all contractors I know have a BV. We just reported them to the bank, told they it was unlawful activity. But this was after we left, I don't know it the bank took actions. The bank *did* have high moral standard from what I could see, they way they handles things..

Froloos:imagine a large room packed with them! It's so weird.. Maybe they bought photo frames at the HEMA, saw these demo posters in them and thought "well, that's nice, let's keep those!"

Cuchulainn

August 11th, 2017, 1:18 pm

Well done!

Cuchulainn

August 11th, 2017, 1:32 pm

frolloos wrote:
The always set the trail, never follow the path poster looks very desolate and depressing. Do some actually find that inspiring and uplifting I wonder.

In the past, companies spent funds on supporting Dutch artists by hanging their work on walls. I think they have stopped and all the paintings are in musty council cellars.

http://www.kunst.nl/nl-NL/kunst-voor-be ... oCWRfw_wcB

frolloos

August 11th, 2017, 2:44 pm

Aegon has not stopped yet. Quite a few paintings and sculptures to be found. But yes, in this age of relentless cost-cutting, artists and other creative minds are the first to bear the brunt.

outrun

August 11th, 2017, 3:38 pm

frolloos wrote:
Aegon has not stopped yet. Quite a few paintings and sculptures to be found. But yes, in this age of relentless cost-cutting, artists and other creative minds are the first to bear the brunt.

I like the photos in the meetingrooms behind the coffee bar at the ground floor!

A lot of cities have art libraries where you can rent art quite cheaply.

Cuchulainn

August 11th, 2017, 7:03 pm

frolloos wrote:

The PVV (and to a lesser extent VVD) consider art as a left-wing hobby. Who needs Rembrandts, Vernmeer, Van Gogh and Mondrian anyways?

ppauper

August 12th, 2017, 9:11 pm

14 Names Nobody Wants to Call Their Kids Anymore

Krista is a name that definitely surprised us. Really? Not a single Krista? Yep. Turns out the name has fallen in popularity by more than 1,200 percent over the last year, according to BabyCenter user data.

what does that mean?
If it fell in popularity by 100%, that would mean that if 10,000 babies were called Krista last year, then 0 would be called Krista this year.
But falling by more than 1,200%...does that mean people who already had the name changed it to something else?

Paul

August 13th, 2017, 1:49 am

Those are American names anyway, so really just random syllables thrown together and put on a birth certificate.

Traden4Alpha

August 13th, 2017, 12:29 pm

Paul wrote:
Those are American names anyway, so really just random syllables thrown together and put on a birth certificate.
Yes, they run the name through a password strength checker these days.

What's funny is that the kid will be hobbled for life when every voice recognition and auto-correct system on their devices, apps, customer service systems, government systems, etc. are unable to recognize and spell their name.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...