SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

katastrofa

Re: Random quotes

June 12th, 2018, 11:05 am

PatoHush wrote:
I am new here and I am already enjoying reading. Hopefully I will be able to contribute something meaningful in the future

Somebody tell him that's he has chosen a wrong career.

Collector

June 12th, 2018, 12:47 pm

katastrofa wrote:
PatoHush wrote:
I am new here and I am already enjoying reading. Hopefully I will be able to contribute something meaningful in the future

Somebody tell him that's he has chosen a wrong career.

yes good traders should naturally not contribute something meaningful to others, they should mislead competitors and put out fake info and bad models! or alternatively write on totally different topics than trading and quant finance.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

June 12th, 2018, 1:40 pm

I have been browsing online for over 4 hours today, but I haven’t found any interesting article like yours. In my opinion, if all site owners and bloggers write good articles like what you have done, the web will be a lot more useful than ever before.

tw

June 13th, 2018, 11:15 am

Cuchulainn wrote:
tw wrote:
katastrofa wrote:
"I discovered when I started making money that I didn't really need it." -- Avicii

I find the converse and inverse of this quote apply for much of the time but the contrapositive applies all of the time.

How do I verify this convoluted text" Do I read from right to left or is it  just NOT ("I discovered when I started making money that I didn't really need it." )
What's a contra?

In fairness, no commas. It proves you are NOT {Dutch, Italian, French}.

Avicii:  If I make money, then I don't need it.
Converse Avicii:  If I don't need money, then I make it
Inverse Avicii: If I don't make money, then I need it.
Contrapositive Avicii:  If I need money, then I don't make it

What, you mean, that, in due consideration of the facts, and, not entirely parenthetically speaking, you don't like kommas?

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

June 13th, 2018, 11:36 am

tw wrote:
Cuchulainn wrote:
tw wrote:
I find the converse and inverse of this quote apply for much of the time but the contrapositive applies all of the time.

How do I verify this convoluted text" Do I read from right to left or is it  just NOT ("I discovered when I started making money that I didn't really need it." )
What's a contra?

In fairness, no commas. It proves you are NOT {Dutch, Italian, French}.

Avicii:  If I make money, then I don't need it.
Converse Avicii:  If I don't need money, then I make it
Inverse Avicii: If I don't make money, then I need it.
Contrapositive Avicii:  If I need money, then I don't make it

What, you mean, that, in due consideration of the facts, and, not entirely parenthetically speaking, you don't like kommas?

I'm with Joyce on this one, but would phrase it differently
- James Joyce preferred dashes to quotation marks for aesthetic reasons. He even went so far as to call quotation marks "perverted commas".
(i like dash punctiation)

As we speak we are reverse engineering a  blurb by someone with the commaitis syndrome.

Traden4Alpha

June 13th, 2018, 1:58 pm

Cuchulainn wrote:
Your software must do a lot of accidental subtraction then.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

June 13th, 2018, 3:05 pm

Traden4Alpha wrote:
Cuchulainn wrote:

Your software must do a lot of accidental subtraction then.

It beats writing "B". - 'B' works fine.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

June 19th, 2018, 8:12 pm

The percentage of men who are not working, nor looking for work, has been rising for decades, writes economist Gregory Mankiw in The New York Times. While 14% of men were out of the labor force in 1950, today that number is 31%. Women, by contrast, have seen labor force participation rise sharply; the number of women out of the labor force has dropped from 66% in 1950 to 43% today. The decline among men is partly attributable to spending more time in school and living longer, but a recent study also found men with lower education levels participate less in the labor force because of technological forces and global trade. "One step in the right direction would be to expand opportunity by increasing educational attainment and skills training," writes Mankiw, acknowledging that these measures require political will and funding. 
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...