Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

bearish

Re: Political Correctness is Dead! Time to say what you really think

July 4th, 2022, 10:42 pm

I will never be able to understand this particular madness of the West.
I think your instincts are right, although there is of course a few million people who care about these things more deeply than anything else. But, the downside is that this will more likely than not be a, if not the, primary driver behind the US turning into a single party, pseudo-theocratic dictatorship within the next 5-10 years (and I’m being optimistic on the timing). At that point in time, being a “they” will probably land you in prison. We can see what Xi and Putin are doing in that regard, or perhaps look to more relevant examples like Uganda.

katastrofa

July 5th, 2022, 12:09 am

How can one benefit financially from the Trans "phenomenon"? (Other words spring to mind...) But without profiting from the physical and psychological abuse of minors. 

I think that using pronouns "he/her" will maximize the probability of being misgendered. [Chrome doesn't recognise this as a word!!!] And then I can sue. This does mean moving to Canada though. And that's a high price to pay.

Paul (he/her)
The problem about this problem is that it's a problem at all. Once it stops being a problem, it won't be a problem anymore.

katastrofa

July 5th, 2022, 12:10 am

Wow, I'm a poet!

bearish

July 5th, 2022, 12:37 am

Communication is the problem to the answer…

Gamal

July 5th, 2022, 7:10 am

I think your instincts are right, although there is of course a few million people who care about these things more deeply than anything else. But, the downside is that this will more likely than not be a, if not the, primary driver behind the US turning into a single party, pseudo-theocratic dictatorship within the next 5-10 years (and I’m being optimistic on the timing). At that point in time, being a “they” will probably land you in prison. We can see what Xi and Putin are doing in that regard, or perhaps look to more relevant examples like Uganda.
What!!!??? Political correctness turning into a pseudo-theocratic dictatorship within the next 5-10 years? Not buying. Of course, these guys are dreaming of making something like this but don't have balls to take real actions. Killing many people with your own hands is not a piece of cake. On the other hand nazis and commies were also ridiculous at the very begining.

Gamal (heigh/ho)

Marsden

July 5th, 2022, 12:20 pm

I hope that eventually the habit of assigning different ways of being, dressing, and looking to particular sexes will eventually fade away as an anachronistic cultural phenomenon (full disclosure: I went to the same middle school and high school as Billy Porter, and he SLAYS a formal gown!).

Body modification of any sort makes me cringe, but contrary to what the US Extreme Court tells me, I don't think what someone else does with their own body is generally any of my business. I think it's sad that anyone thinks they need extreme body modification as a matter of their "identity" -- wouldn't identifying as steampunk be easier? -- and I hope that if the aforementioned fading occurs, so will extreme body modification.

But again, not really my business.

Joe (my liege/your eminence)

bearish

July 5th, 2022, 12:54 pm

What!!!??? Political correctness turning into a pseudo-theocratic dictatorship within the next 5-10 years? Not buying. Of course, these guys are dreaming of making something like this but don't have balls to take real actions. Killing many people with your own hands is not a piece of cake. On the other hand nazis and commies were also ridiculous at the very begining.

Gamal (heigh/ho)
I think you misunderstood my point. I was referring to the seemingly unavoidable growth of influence of the GOP in the US, a meaningful part of which comes as a reaction to identity politics, pronouns, etc that a lot of people don’t understand and reflexively hate.

Gamal

July 5th, 2022, 1:27 pm

I think you misunderstood my point. I was referring to the seemingly unavoidable growth of influence of the GOP in the US, a meaningful part of which comes as a reaction to identity politics, pronouns, etc that a lot of people don’t understand and reflexively hate.
Oh yes, now I see. Nazis exterminate Jews, what may cause the seemingly unavoidable growth of influence of the Jews in the world, a meaningful part of which comes as a reaction to Nazi politics, that a lot of people don’t understand and reflexively hate. We should fear freeze in Summer and heat in Winter.

Sorry dude, I don't follow. I'm too straight (in all meanings of that word).

Paul
Topic Author

July 5th, 2022, 10:02 pm

I know, it’s insane! He/him, she/her?!?! Surely “he” implies “him” and “she” “her.” Totally redundant. Young people today and their grammar!

katastrofa

July 7th, 2022, 1:06 pm

These are supposed to be objective pronouns after /?? I thought it’s the possession form: I’m “his” or “her” to indicate the partners gender or preference (-:

bearish

July 7th, 2022, 4:26 pm

These are supposed to be objective pronouns after /?? I thought it’s the possession form: I’m “his” or “her” to indicate the partners gender or preference (-:
Shouldn’t that be “hers”?

Paul
Topic Author

July 7th, 2022, 4:36 pm

And is it partner's or partners'?

tags

July 8th, 2022, 7:51 am

Political Correctness is Dead! Time to say what you really think

Hence they shot Abe. It doesn’t sound right to me.

Marsden

July 8th, 2022, 1:02 pm

Aiieee.

This means a few years of, "See? Gun control just doesn't work!" from the usual suspects in America.

Cuchulainn

July 25th, 2022, 2:33 pm

Meanwhile at Dover