Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Paul
Topic Author

Political Correctness is Dead! Time to say what you really think

November 10th, 2016, 3:30 pm

The rise of UKIP, Brexit, then Trump, and now on the radio Farage says "I am going to say [to Trump] come and schmooze Theresa May - don't touch her," a light-hearted reference to Trump's "Grab them by the pussy." A joke! A joke that some would say was funny, and some would say was in bad taste. But some would say Farage should be locked up for hate speech, which is worse than MURDER! But he said it. And at the time of writing he hasn't been arrested (admittedly he didn't say this too long ago). The moment I've dreamed of for a quarter of a century* is finally here! Say what you like, POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS DEAD!!!

P

* In 1992 my co-authors on a book waited until I was away and then secretly replaced every "he" in our text with "he/she," as if I wouldn't notice. Obviously I went ballistic and had them change it back.

Cuchulainn

Re: Political Correctness is Dead! Time to say what you really think

November 10th, 2016, 3:40 pm

* Normally I blame the copy editors for those indiscretions.Design by committee is always tricky.

PC is alive and kicking, it's just how to measure it. Today's tools are rather blunt. Even five-year olds know Trump is a
Last edited by Cuchulainn on November 10th, 2016, 3:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Traden4Alpha

November 10th, 2016, 3:40 pm

It's a new wave of intolerance for intolerance for intolerance.

Cuchulainn

November 10th, 2016, 3:43 pm

It's a new wave of intolerance for intolerance for intolerance.
Intolerance is idempotent
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idempotence
Problem solved.

What we are seeing is the rise of the foul-mouth blaggard.

ppauper

November 10th, 2016, 3:51 pm

The rise of UKIP, Brexit, then Trump, and now on the radio Farage says "I am going to say [to Trump] come and schmooze Theresa May - don't touch her," a light-hearted reference to Trump's "Grab them by the pussy." A joke! A joke that some would say was funny, and some would say was in bad taste. But some would say Farage should be locked up for hate speech, which is worse than MURDER! But he said it. And at the time of writing he hasn't been arrested (admittedly he didn't say this too long ago). The moment I've dreamed of for a quarter of a century* is finally here! Say what you like, POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS DEAD!!!

P

* In 1992 my co-authors on a book waited until I was away and then secretly replaced every "he" in our text with "he/she," as if I wouldn't notice. Obviously I went ballistic and had them change it back.
times have changed, nowadays they'd use "ze" because "he/she"  is so binary

outrun

November 10th, 2016, 4:57 pm

Intolerance comes from misguided angers and fear and gives a false feeling of control.

outrun

November 10th, 2016, 5:08 pm

And people want simple models of the world, its all too diffucilt

Cuchulainn

November 10th, 2016, 5:30 pm

Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man, the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a time handed out military command, high civil office, legions — everything, now restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things: bread and circuses[6]

Traden4Alpha

November 10th, 2016, 5:32 pm

Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man, the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a time handed out military command, high civil office, legions — everything, now restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things: bread and circuses[6]
Trump's got the circuses part down cold. We'll see if he can deliver the bread, though.

Paul
Topic Author

November 10th, 2016, 5:52 pm

At the time of bread and circuses a gladiator could take a trident up the backside without so much as a "Caecilius in hortum est." Now you criticise someone's hairstyle and you get hounded out of town, havecto beg for forgiveness and see a therapist. Patheticus.

P

Traden4Alpha

November 10th, 2016, 6:27 pm

At the time of bread and circuses a gladiator could take a trident up the backside without so much as a "Caecilius in hortum est." Now you criticise someone's hairstyle and you get hounded out of town, havecto beg for forgiveness and see a therapist. Patheticus.

P
OMG! Do you have any idea how many forbidden "trigger words" you used those two sentences! It was chock full of terms related to violence, body image, negative emotions, bullying, subservience!

The social justice warriors are warming the tar and fluffing the feathers as we speak.

Paul
Topic Author

November 10th, 2016, 6:42 pm

19?

P

Traden4Alpha

November 10th, 2016, 7:30 pm

19..... Let's see.... The "bread" has gluten. The "circuses" are animal cruelty nightmares. "Gladiator" is aggressive or racist or something. "Take" belongs to imperialist oppressors. The "trident" is right out! The "without" is an exclusionary term. ...

Yes, 19 sounds right but then I'd have to agree with you or be accused of the heinous PC crime of correcting anyone's errors.

Cuchulainn

November 10th, 2016, 8:57 pm

P
Benny Hill, Pan's People, Dave Allen, Ian Paisley, That was the Week that was (with Millicent Marin), all gone.
And Spike Milligan, Enoch Powell.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on November 10th, 2016, 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul
Topic Author

November 10th, 2016, 9:04 pm

On SkyNews just now they were saying how the backlash against PC helped Trump. Didn't know they read this forum.

Obviously there was one pathetica maxima who said "I believe in free speech BUT..."

Free speech, no ifs, no buts. (Except for slander and IP obvs!)

P