Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Cuchulainn

Re: Political Correctness is Dead! Time to say what you really think

July 27th, 2022, 11:45 am

bearish

July 28th, 2022, 2:13 am

1. And  what is happening in the US? I don't follow very carefully but people die rather in Europe than in the US.

2. If you hate the US so much, why don't you return home?
Plenty of people die in the US, so I wouldn’t worry about that. What is happening is something vaguely similar to what has happened in Hungary, although in a country with a long history of democracy. We are rapidly moving toward an illiberal form of government (to stay with the Hungarian nazi’s language), and that got cemented with McConnell’s illegitimate stacking of the Supreme Court with young Republican cads, who have now announced that precedent has no standing (i.e., they can do whatever they please). We are obviously just scratching the surface so far, but they have already condemned women living in a large swath of the country to a legal status slightly worse than that of their sisters in Saudi Arabia and Pakistan, at least as far as their health is concerned. No civil rights can be taken for granted, whether encased in law or not. Because, if those old white male slave owners back in the 18th century didn’t explicitly mention that it was allowed, it’s probably illegal. There will be a couple of major elections over the course of the next three years, and if they go wrong (which is more likely than not), the US will become a Trumpian theocracy. In the process, we can expect events like the January 6th insurrection, only more widespread. Which is to say, not just like the worst attempt at destroying US democracy since at least as far back as 1941, but more likely to be successful. Controls are being put in place all over the country to ensure that only GOP candidates can possibly win elections. And they have a lot more guns to back it up. In a rational world we’d do our own Brexit, leaving the people in flyover country and the south to their own miserable devices, but I don’t know what to do about the nukes. Having seen what happened to Ukraine, they probably won’t give them up.

Other than that, the play was quite nice, thanks for asking! I actually like many aspects of the country, and the usual complications arise: what to do with the kids, potential grandkids, etc. And, probably foolishly, thinking that having a lot of money and not being a troublemaker may save you from the worst mistreatment for a while.

Cuchulainn

July 28th, 2022, 10:35 am

Britannia doesn't rule the waves
I agree

Britannia waives the rules 

Gamal

July 28th, 2022, 12:55 pm

Britannia doesn't rule the waves, Britannia waives the rules 
Indeed. The UK will rule itself within the EU or not. European rules are not for big guys but only for such a plankton like Greece, Hungary and Estonia. And for Italy but only in trouble. Britannia is not strong enough to rule the waves, but strong enough to waive the rules. As Germany and France.

Cuchulainn

July 28th, 2022, 3:51 pm

Britannia doesn't rule the waves, Britannia waives the rules 
Indeed. The UK will rule itself within the EU or not. European rules are not for big guys but only for such a plankton like Greece, Hungary and Estonia. And for Italy but only in trouble. Britannia is not strong enough to rule the waves, but strong enough to waive the rules. As Germany and France.
Indeed; the facility to make trade deals with Polynesia and NZ.

Paul
Topic Author

July 28th, 2022, 6:29 pm

Are you saying we should only trade with all the white people in the EU?

tags

July 28th, 2022, 6:45 pm

I personally always include hotties in my subsets

Cuchulainn

July 28th, 2022, 6:57 pm

I have some very good white friends, once you get to know them.

Cuchulainn

July 28th, 2022, 6:58 pm

How can you all understand the subtlest details of the latest obscure volatility models but still not understand the basics of Brexit?!?!
I may be a bit fuzzy on the volatility models, but I think I get the basics of Brexit. At the end of the day, I’m probably just too polite and mild mannered to call it out for what it is. But, in all fairness, it’s minor league stuff compared to what is happening in the US.

Gamal

July 28th, 2022, 7:28 pm

You may trade even with Sri Lanka, provided they have the money. Do they?

Paul
Topic Author

July 29th, 2022, 7:50 am

Sorry, I was just watching the opening ceremony of the Commonwealth Games. Anything similar by the EU would “pale” in comparison.

Gamal

July 29th, 2022, 8:28 am

Nice of the organizers. So?

Cuchulainn

July 29th, 2022, 9:32 am

Sorry, I was just watching the opening ceremony of the Commonwealth Games. Anything similar by the EU would “pale” in comparison.
It's not 1936 any more.

Gamal

July 29th, 2022, 10:02 am

BTW, who watches opening ceremonies? It's the most boring and pompous field of art.

Paul
Topic Author

July 29th, 2022, 10:23 am

@Cuch: I think you’ll find that it still is in Germany.

@Gamal: Boring and pompous people like me. I truly hadn’t realised how amazing Birmingham is.