Cuchulainn
Topic Author

Re: Trump - the first 100 days

October 7th, 2017, 8:13 am

Bombardier now facing 300% duty for US imports

https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/1007/910517-bombardier/

make America great again
http://www.datasimfinancial.com

"Science is what you know, Philosophy is what you don't know" Bertrand Russell.

ppauper

October 7th, 2017, 8:30 am

Cuchulainn wrote:
Bombardier now facing 300% duty for US imports

https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/1007/910517-bombardier/

make America great again

these things tend to spiral.
Britain and Canada give massive state subsidies to bombardier which enable bombardier to undercut boeing. Obviously the goal here is to provide jobs in Britain and Canada.
US retaliates by imposing tariffs on bombardier, which levels the playing field in the US but not in the rest of the world
Britain and Canada counter-retaliate  by imposing tariffs on boeing in britain and canada

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

October 7th, 2017, 8:32 am

It's not good.

ppauper

October 7th, 2017, 8:50 am

I suspect obama would have done the same thing: obama imposed a 522% tariff on chinese steel (spefically cold-rolled steel which was being dumped)
https://www.wsj.com/articles/obama-fron ... 1463677249

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

October 7th, 2017, 10:28 am

Obama is gone. Give it a break.

ppauper

October 7th, 2017, 10:44 am

Cuchulainn wrote:

I wasn't attacking Obama, I was making the point that Obama did something very similar to Trump: the current president is doing the same thing as his predecessor

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

October 7th, 2017, 10:59 am

ppauper wrote:
Cuchulainn wrote:

I wasn't attacking Obama, I was making the point that Obama did something very similar to Trump: the current president is doing the same thing as his predecessor

Can't be good, as Trump is doing everything that Obama did not do.

ppauper

October 7th, 2017, 11:14 am

Cuchulainn wrote:
ppauper wrote:
Cuchulainn wrote:

Can't be good, as Trump is doing everything that Obama did not do.

they both said they would exit the afghan war but didn't
and Obama deported  illegals at a far higher rate than trump

ppauper

October 8th, 2017, 8:37 am

brazil is upset about bombardier as well
WTO to Probe Canadian Jet Subsidies in New Bombardier Blow

this may not be resolved for several years
Supposedly brazil has a better case than trump as embraer makes jets the same size as bombardier. It has been argued by some in the media that boeing is not directly affected by bombardier as boeing's small jets are slightly bigger than bombardier's jets, but I'd say that if an airline was looking to buy 150-seat jets,  they could easily be persuaded to buy 100-seat jets and modify their business plan slightly if the subsidies were large enough

ppauper

October 10th, 2017, 11:13 am

there's a deal for DACA (the illegals who came to the US as youths and are now what in their mid-20s) on the table which seems to satisfy no one

The deal on offer seems to be that DACA can stay in return for funding the wall, cutting down on chain immigration, more border patrol officers, etc

When reagan agreed to an amnesty in the 1980s, we were promised all sorts of improvements to border security, none of which ever materialized (kinda like the budget deal where reagan agreed to a tax hike in exchange for 2 dollars of cuts for every dollar of tax increases, but the cuts never ever materialized).
Back then, we were told the amnesty was for 1 million mexicans. After the event, we found it was actually 4 million, plus all the relatives that come with chain immigration

The dems and rinos don't want border security, and even if they go along with it, they'll drag it out until Trump leaves office, so it will never get done.
Conservatives don't want a DACA amnesty. That's at least 1 million new citizens (who will vote democrat) plus chain immigration, which would include the parents who took them to the border in the first place and were probably hoping for this all along.
If they have to stay, and I would prefer they went home, then NO CITIZENSHIP, EVER, so they can't vote and they can't bring relatives. If they want to be reunited with their families, they can go home to mexico which is the only home their families have ever known

ppauper

October 12th, 2017, 10:05 am

Nafta talks: Trump open to a bilateral Canada-US trade deal

which is probably the way it should be.
Nafta started as the  US-Canada Auto Pact under Reagan,  wherein the big 3 agreed to make cars in the US and Canada in the same proportion they sold them (so that if 10% were sold in Canada and 90% in the US the 10% would be made in Canada and 90% in the US)
Bush I worked on expanding the Auto Pact to a wider trade deal, at which point Mexico asked if it could join as well, and that became NAFTA which was passed under Clinton, at which point people like Ross Perot and Pat Buchanan warned us that US manufacturers would shift production to mexico to save on labor and environmental costs

ppauper

October 13th, 2017, 7:42 am

McCain could give the same thumbs-down to a tax overhaul as he did to health care

arlen specter used to be the king of the rinos
mccain now has that crown

ppauper

October 14th, 2017, 6:18 am

ppauper

October 14th, 2017, 6:51 am

the president stopped  by the value voters summit this week, where he reminded us that America is great because “In America we do not worship government, we worship God.”
I believe the president said something similar at the Liberty University commencement this past summer.

Those are wise words indeed, which are as true today as when the founding fathers wrote the constitution whose chains limit the power of the federal government

ppauper

October 19th, 2017, 5:56 am

pick your favorite
A first look at 8 possible versions of President Donald Trump's border wall
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...