SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

outrun
Topic Author

Fake news

December 15th, 2016, 3:51 pm

Handy overview of news sources and their credibility.

Cuchulainn

Re: Fake news

December 15th, 2016, 3:56 pm

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/scien ... 57731.html

In a fairly damning passage from the paper, it says that those who were more receptive to the bulls*** statements and who tended to rate them higher were "less reflective, lower in cognitive ability(i.e verbal and fluid intelligence, numeracy,) and are more prone to ontological confusions and conspiratorial ideation."

As Paul says, "We are all doomed".

outrun
Topic Author

December 15th, 2016, 4:01 pm

and I imagine "religions" is probably classified under that "paranormal" group?

Cuchulainn

December 15th, 2016, 4:57 pm

Depends, Bono the final word

"Because I was suspicious of the traditional Christian church, I tended to tar them all with the same brush. That was a mistake, because there are righteous people working in a whole rainbow of belief systems - from Hasidic Jews to right-wing Bible Belters to charismatic Catholics."

Of course, a well-adjusted12-year old cudda told Bono that.

Life in not Boolean. 

outrun
Topic Author

December 15th, 2016, 5:06 pm

Are you watching Bono's memoires vlog?

Traden4Alpha

December 15th, 2016, 5:14 pm

"Because I was suspicious of the traditional Christian church, I tended to tar them all with the same brush. That was a mistake, because there are righteous people working in a whole rainbow of belief systems - from Hasidic Jews to right-wing Bible Belters to charismatic Catholics."

The righteous are the wrongcious.
Life is not Boolean. 
Maybe!

ppauper

December 15th, 2016, 6:05 pm

I would question the credibility of that table which labels news sources with a strong liberal bias, such as CNN, NYt, WaPo, BBC, as having no partisan bias.

Paul

December 15th, 2016, 7:06 pm

I would question the credibility of that table which labels news sources with a strong liberal bias, such as CNN, NYt, WaPo, BBC, as having no partisan bias.
It hasn't been centred properly, that's all. Easily rectified.

Cuchulainn

December 15th, 2016, 7:33 pm

Liberal media tend to adopt the Conspiracy of Silence approach.

It's a real BS diagram; it means nothing. Best is not to read any of it, including the TV news.

Cuchulainn

December 15th, 2016, 7:45 pm

The righteous are the wrongcious.
Life is not Boolean. 
Maybe!
Ah, an atheist!

ISayMoo

December 16th, 2016, 7:10 am

The purpose of crying about "fake news" now is to introduce a massive censorship scheme masqueraded behind the pretence of "objective machine learning algorithms". It's the technology-espionage complex in action.

Cuchulainn

December 16th, 2016, 10:28 am

The purpose of crying about "fake news" now is to introduce a massive censorship scheme masqueraded behind the pretence of "objective machine learning algorithms". It's the technology-espionage complex in action.
I'm glad someone understands it.

“Doublethink means the power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one’s mind simultaneously, and accepting both of them.”

Ignorance is strength.

ppauper

December 16th, 2016, 12:51 pm

+1

ppauper

December 16th, 2016, 1:11 pm

one of the worst instances of fake news was the majority of polls published during the US election campaign
We know from wikileaks (the podesta emails) that many of the polling organizations were coordinating with the clinton campaign and manipulating the results by deliberate oversampling of democrats to make it appear that hillary was leading by a mile.
A handful of polling organizations produced legitimate polls that reflected what was actually happening (I recall 3, LA times, rasmussen reports, IBD), and they showed a horse race.
most of the media ignored those legitimate polls or laughed at them as "outliers" or fake.
Breitbart (considered fake in the table below) and drudge were amongst the few to accurately report those polls
And the thing is, the podesta emails appeared before the election so the media knew the jig was up, but they carried on regardless.
Come election day, when the results were almost identical to what LA times, rasmussen reports, and IBD predicted, the liberals couldn't believe it because the fake polls had told them that hillary was 10 points up

Cuchulainn

December 16th, 2016, 1:34 pm

one of the worst instances of fake news was the majority of polls published during the US election campaign
We know from wikileaks (the podesta emails) that many of the polling organizations were coordinating with the clinton campaign and manipulating the results by deliberate oversampling of democrats to make it appear that hillary was leading by a mile.
A handful of polling organizations produced legitimate polls that reflected what was actually happening (I recall 3, LA times, rasmussen reports, IBD), and they showed a horse race.
most of the media ignored those legitimate polls or laughed at them as "outliers" or fake.
Breitbart (considered fake in the table below) and drudge were amongst the few to accurately report those polls
And the thing is, the podesta emails appeared before the election so the media knew the jig was up, but they carried on regardless.
Come election day, when the results were almost identical to what LA times, rasmussen reports, and IBD predicted, the liberals couldn't believe it because the fake polls had told them that hillary was 10 points up
One swallow makes a summer not.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On