SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

farmer
Topic Author

your Green Energy dollar at work

June 21st, 2017, 6:33 am

I thought this company was up the street from me, but I looked again and the address says Padiham.

http://www.solxenergy.com/index.php/how-it-works

Can anyone tell how much of this is a scam and how much is a joke? The punch line is they supposedly install solar panels in air conditioning units, to heat the refrigerant even more before running the cooling fan over it (rather than using the heat from the space they are supposed to be cooling to heat the refrigerant). They then measure the amount of heat radiated relative to the electricity used, and show that it is larger, there is more cooling compared to cooling refrigerant that hasn't been heated by the sun. They find that coolant heated by the sun can then be cooled using almost no electricity, and call it an energy-efficient air conditioner.

Now I found the address up the street from me again:

465 S Orlando Ave
Suite 410
Maitland, FL 32751

0844 33 00 321
Email
info@solxenergy.com
Address
Ribble Court Business Centre
1 Mead Way
Shuttleworth Mead
Padiham
BB12 7NG

I am curious if you can actually buy one of these things.

outrun

Re: your Green Energy dollar at work

June 21st, 2017, 7:05 am

Cooling works like this: you compress a gas with a compressor into a liquid. During this compression a lot of heat is generated. The heat comes out of the compression and goes into the air (the compressor is placed outside your home). The liquid goes through pipes into your home to the evaporator when the liquid turns back into gas, and to do so it extracts heat from the surrounding. Just like an ice cube in your drink takes energy from your drink in order to melt. The evaporated gas goes back via pipes to the compressor and then it starts all over again.

What these guys are saying is that the compressor is more efficient if the gas you feed into it is hotter. However, efficient is the wrong measure because it has to do a lot more work now that the gas is extra hot. It doesn't make sense.

ppauper

June 21st, 2017, 7:07 am

if you click on the flags in the top right, it seems to change the address, although they only seem to have a US (Florida), UK (BB is the Blackburn postcode area, near Manchester) and a German address (near Bielefeld and Hanover)

Auf der Huneke 2a
Bad Salzuflen 32107
Germany

I'm with you, as described it doesn't seem to make sense

Traden4Alpha

June 21st, 2017, 12:49 pm

This does not make sense to me because it seems to increase the temperature of the entire hot side of the cycle -- increasing the temperatures at the input of condenser, output of the condenser, and input to the expansion valve, etc. If adding heat to the compressed gas helps, why not just use a smaller condenser which would have the same net effect?

It might make sensor is it somehow optimizes the cycle with respect to the boiling point of the refrigerant in situations where there's some kind of mismatch between the design loading of the system and the actual loading or maybe the total internal pressure in the system is suboptimal. To a first approximation, the entire internal volume of the system is fixed and the total mass of refrigerant is fixed. The added heat from the solar panel would boost the temperature which boost the system pressure which might let the system be more efficient. But I'm skeptical!

P.S. Their explanatory text at that link seems like BS! The solar panel cannot increase the mass flow rate, only the volume flow. And although the delta T on the condenser does increase that's because the system is now wasting capacity on moving heat from the solar panel on the roof to the condenser on the side of the building.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On