Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

trackstar

Re: Impending Birth - Not Being Present

February 13th, 2020, 5:57 pm

Very cute!

Still a little young for a pony of his own, I guess.

If I had had children, ponies would have been at or near the top of the list (if requested).

Kids, barns, and ponies are an excellent combination for several reasons.  Not the least of which is that mother gets to rest in relative peace and quiet, while watching the little darlings muck stalls, clean tack, and have their lessons with the patient and accomplished riding instructors.  : )

Paul

February 13th, 2020, 6:13 pm

Riding is v dangerous. Badly fails my Celebrity Death Test.

trackstar

February 13th, 2020, 6:19 pm

Riding is v dangerous. Badly fails my Celebrity Death Test.
LOL - driving car is dangerous too.

Anyway, I'm not trying to live forever and I have generally tended to avoid tempting but dangerous things like hang gliding, becoming a private pilot, and motorcycles (though I did get my motorcycle permit once upon a time and bikes are great if you live way out in the countryside or desert.)

I also did rock climbing for awhile, as described somewhere here, but nothing like Free Solo.  
In the end, I just like hiking and moderate mountain climbing better than hanging on a rope off the side of a precipice.

Good for character building though! Especially if you are naturally afraid of heights. 

Anyway, cheers for the cute child there; must be really nice to watch him grow and change. : )

Paul

February 13th, 2020, 6:30 pm

Driving does not meet the conditions for the CDT.

trackstar

February 13th, 2020, 6:41 pm

Driving does not meet the conditions for the CDT.
Besides racehorse jockeys and Christopher Reeves (who survived a very bad fall in a Grand Prix jumping accident, but was paralyzed and did die younger than he might have otherwise), I don't know of any fatal celebrity riding accidents. Madonna broke her collar bone, not sure if she kept on riding after that.

In my own world, I know of a few fatalities - but they involved older women (50s-60s), all excellent horsewomen, who were training young sport horses (dressage and jumping). So large, strong breeds like Warm Bloods that can actually be very hot/flighty and yes, very bad falls do happen.

So, I guess no ponies for your children.  They can do math problems instead and that's fine too!

Cuchulainn

February 13th, 2020, 6:54 pm

When can he expect a little brother or sister?
Hmmm ... I'll need to check with the boss to answer that one.

Meanwhile, he's got some growing to do to fit his new coat (it's age 4 and he's 2 1/2)
Julian Coat Wilmott.jpg
Where's Julian's rugby ball?

Paul

February 13th, 2020, 7:09 pm

I remember British actor Roy Kinnear dying. There’s a UK newspaper with a regular column by a quadriplegic ex rider. Not much fun to read.

Riding seems to come with overconfidence. That’s not good.

trackstar

February 13th, 2020, 7:13 pm

Where's Julian's rugby ball?
Haha! Talk about a dangerous, but noble sport!

trackstar

February 13th, 2020, 7:18 pm

I remember British actor Roy Kinnear dying. There’s a UK newspaper with a regular column by a quadriplegic ex rider. Not much fun to read.

Riding seems to come with overconfidence. That’s not good.
Maybe for some.  As with any sport, you have to understand your limits and assess  your current ability honestly.  It's ok to push boundaries and try to improve, but you don't just vault to crazy new levels overnight.

So, for example, if I was jumping well at 2'6 and 3' (feet), I might practice more on 3' and try for 3'6. I'm not going for 4' or 5'.

In reality, I am aware of fragility and I row more than I ride these days.

So, now we have the risk of hypothermia in early spring, heat stroke in mid-summer, and drowning any time! 

BTW - is having children dangerous?  Just curious! : )
Last edited by trackstar on February 13th, 2020, 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul

February 13th, 2020, 7:19 pm

Avoid rugby. Inc. the girlie US version. Even I knew of someone paralyzed in my college of just 1,000 students. Odds not good.

Paul

February 13th, 2020, 7:22 pm

Best thing about Super Bowl are the $5m TV ads in the seemingly infinite number of breaks.

trackstar

February 13th, 2020, 7:23 pm

Here is a deep and comfortable recliner for all of you.

I love that mahogany leather - so lustrous and inviting. 

You can watch rugby, European football, American football, Wimbledon, even international chess tournaments from there.

And you will be SAFE in its arms!

katastrofa

February 14th, 2020, 2:23 am

When can he expect a little brother or sister?
Hmmm ... I'll need to check with the boss to answer that one.

Meanwhile, he's got some growing to do to fit his new coat (it's age 4 and he's 2 1/2)
Julian Coat Wilmott.jpg
Very elegant peacoat. It will probably fit for one season :-)
I've already wrote it many times, but you and your wife have done a magnificent job, especially his hair - I love curls.

fulmerspot
Topic Author

February 18th, 2020, 12:34 pm

Thanks for all the compliments - I'll relay them to Julian.
He first got on a pony at 7 months, with a very placid old pony and a victorian wicker baby seat. He seemed very comfortable and confident.
I'll get him started walking the fields on a lead rein this summer, move him onto a lunge next year and then he should be having proper lessons at four. I am looking for a little spotted pony for him, its very important to find the right pony so I'm in no hurry.
I have ridden and played rugby for many years, I have had one bad accident from riding which has left me with metal in my spine but I have had decades of fun on ponies and horses.

Collector

February 18th, 2020, 12:42 pm