SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Alan
Topic Author

Re: Trump -- the last 100 days

September 21st, 2017, 2:52 pm

katastrofa wrote:
Alan wrote:
Fair point as to the knowledge at the time. 

As to "he ... possibly didn't even want to suggest that the process was realisable", we have some famous evidence against that:

Wigner and Szilard went on the sixteenth of July (1939) to inform Einstein about the recent physics findings and to ask if he would compose a letter to the queen. Learning of the possibility of a chain reaction, Einstein famously said "Daran habe ich gar nicht gedacht" ("I hadn't thought of that at all"). 

From a very nice book about Fermi I just finished and highly recommend: "The Pope of Physics: Enrico Fermi and the Birth of the Atomic Age".

I know a different version of that story: the famous letter (the same one I mentioned above) warning about German plans of building a nuclear bomb was addressed to Roosevelt (not the queen) and urged him to launch what was later called Manhattan Project. I find it hard to believe that Einstein didn't know about a chain reaction, because afair the effect had been already discovered and published (after years of a research surge and international scientific competition); so was Lise Meitner's theoretical explanation, the central part of which was mc^2. Suggesting that Einstein wasn't aware of it seems like saying that a nowadays scientist hasn't heard of an AI and didn't think of its potential threats. Thus I'm pretty sure that he realised and discussed with others the possible military applications. Einstein was an incorrigible pacifist (and a celebrity who didn't want to be associated with the bomb), even worse than Meitner who rejected her invitation to Los Alamos while her male colleagues flocked there blinded by the promise of prestige, power, fame and money. Of course, I may be wrong. (I personally believe that Einstein was right about virtually everything - maybe except the little "2" which should probably be blamed on von Haas's poor experimental skills :-P - just the people who call themselves scientists these days need several more decades to comprehend it.)

I am just relaying the account in the book. There were two letters discussed with Einstein. According to that, the first was to be to the queen of Belgium (it wasn't really created, just discussed) and that is when Einstein gave the famous reaction quoted. The  second and more famous one is the one you know and was sent to Roosevelt. I attach the book account.

Of course, there are many Einstein biographical sources. If you can track down some support for your intuition about what Einstein should have known, it would be interesting to discover.

FermiBook.EinsteinLtrs.zip
(39.13 KiB) Downloaded 12 times

katastrofa

September 21st, 2017, 3:08 pm

North Korea sanctions: Trump to impose further sanctions on country he threatened to 'totally destroy'

The last time they destroyed it in 75% and look how it recovered.
I'd venture to say that there's no nation hating the other nation as fiercely as North Koreans hate Americans.
Last edited by katastrofa on September 21st, 2017, 11:30 pm

katastrofa

September 21st, 2017, 3:36 pm

Alan wrote:
katastrofa wrote:
Alan wrote:
Fair point as to the knowledge at the time. 

As to "he ... possibly didn't even want to suggest that the process was realisable", we have some famous evidence against that:

From a very nice book about Fermi I just finished and highly recommend: "The Pope of Physics: Enrico Fermi and the Birth of the Atomic Age".

I know a different version of that story: the famous letter (the same one I mentioned above) warning about German plans of building a nuclear bomb was addressed to Roosevelt (not the queen) and urged him to launch what was later called Manhattan Project. I find it hard to believe that Einstein didn't know about a chain reaction, because afair the effect had been already discovered and published (after years of a research surge and international scientific competition); so was Lise Meitner's theoretical explanation, the central part of which was mc^2. Suggesting that Einstein wasn't aware of it seems like saying that a nowadays scientist hasn't heard of an AI and didn't think of its potential threats. Thus I'm pretty sure that he realised and discussed with others the possible military applications. Einstein was an incorrigible pacifist (and a celebrity who didn't want to be associated with the bomb), even worse than Meitner who rejected her invitation to Los Alamos while her male colleagues flocked there blinded by the promise of prestige, power, fame and money. Of course, I may be wrong. (I personally believe that Einstein was right about virtually everything - maybe except the little "2" which should probably be blamed on von Haas's poor experimental skills :-P - just the people who call themselves scientists these days need several more decades to comprehend it.)

I am just relaying the account in the book. There were two letters discussed with Einstein. According to that, the first was to be to the queen of Belgium (it wasn't really created, just discussed) and that is when Einstein gave the famous reaction quoted. The  second and more famous one is the one you know and was sent to Roosevelt. I attach the book account.

Of course, there are many Einstein biographical sources. If you can track down some support for your intuition about what Einstein should have known, it would be interesting to discover.

FermiBook.EinsteinLtrs.zip.

Thanks! I actually remembered (erroneously) that he said that on the occasion of writing to Roosevelt (that was why I was so quick to assume that we were talking about the same letter), but now I'm reading in credible sources, such as wikipedia, that it was indeed the letter to Queen Elisabeth of Belgium (called by some Elizabeth) to warn Belgians about Germans' possible attempts to source uranium from Belgian Congo.

Cuchulainn

September 24th, 2017, 4:36 pm

Reminds me of Mexico Olympics. End is nigh?

http://dailycaller.com/2017/09/24/raven ... paign=push

Ravens And Jaguars Kneel For US Anthem In London
http://www.datasimfinancial.com

“Sir Walter Scott created rank & caste in the South and also reverence for and pride and pleasure in them"

Mark Twain

outrun

October 2nd, 2017, 7:16 am

Heartwarming and appropriate statement:

http://thehill.com/homenews/administrat ... ne-victims

ppauper

October 2nd, 2017, 7:57 am

for those who don't know, The Presidents Cup is a biennial men's golf contest between the United States and an International Team representing the rest of the world minus Europe.
Obama was the chairman of the event in 2009 and 2013. In 2011, the tourney was held in Australia with the australian pm acting as chair, and in 2015 it was in S. Korea with the S. Korean president acting as chair.

There is no prize money awarded at the Presidents Cup and the players are not paid for their participation. Instead, the net proceeds are distributed to charities nominated by the players.

fwiw, Obama, Bush, Clinton reunite for Presidents Cup

Gamal

October 8th, 2017, 3:46 pm

Less than two weeks to go.

Gamal

October 10th, 2017, 11:49 am

ppauper

October 10th, 2017, 12:02 pm

somor

October 10th, 2017, 10:38 pm

Cuchulainn

October 11th, 2017, 5:59 am

“Sir Walter Scott created rank & caste in the South and also reverence for and pride and pleasure in them"

Mark Twain

Cuchulainn

October 11th, 2017, 6:19 am

Mark Twain

Gamal

October 11th, 2017, 11:42 am

Gamal

October 12th, 2017, 8:33 am

Cuchulainn

October 12th, 2017, 7:26 pm

in a few days 

5-4-3-2-1 (x7), (1st time sung slowly)
Onward onward rode the six hundred (5-4-3-2-1)
Down the valley on their horses they thundered (5-4-3-2-1)
Ah but was it them who really blundered (5-4-3-2-1)
Uh huh, it was the Manfreds'

5-4-3-2-1 (x2)
The Trojans waited at the gate for weeks (5-4-3-2-1)
In a wooden horse to the city they sneaked (5-4-3-2-1)
Who let them in, was it the Greeks (5-4-3-2-1)
Uh huh, it was the Manfreds' 

Mark Twain
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...