SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

ppauper

Re: Trump -- the last 100 days

December 18th, 2017, 7:11 am

"You know, to just be grossly generalistic, you could put half of Trump's supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables. (Laughter/applause) Right? (Laughter/applause) They’re racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic — Islamophobic — you name it."

I don't know what the term is for using terms like "retard" and "moron," both as nomenclature for those with intellectual disabilities and as a term of abuse to hurl a people we dislike, but you can add that to the list of deplorable activities

bearish

December 18th, 2017, 12:01 pm

ppauper wrote:
"You know, to just be grossly generalistic, you could put half of Trump's supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables. (Laughter/applause) Right? (Laughter/applause) They’re racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic — Islamophobic — you name it."

I don't know what the term is for using terms like "retard" and "moron," both as nomenclature for those with intellectual disabilities and as a term of abuse to hurl a people we dislike, but you can add that to the list of deplorable activities

Trumpophobic? Although commonly used for broad purposes, the root of “phobic” is fear, whereas the attitude we are trying to describe contains heavy doses of hatred and disgust.

Cuchulainn

December 18th, 2017, 12:52 pm

bearish wrote:
Cuchulainn wrote:
ppauper wrote:

I thought we were the basket of deplorables.

Are you?

There is certainly no contradiction between these terms, although Ms Clinton’s characterization may have had a slightly broader application. But we are splitting hairs...

She was speaking euphemistically. "deplorable" means noting. "Xenophobe" is more accurate.

ppauper

December 18th, 2017, 3:12 pm

ppauper wrote:
to be fair to hillary, I'm not sure that calling someone a "fucking jew bastard" and "stupid kike" counts as antisemitism when the target isn't actually jewish

or maybe she's just a hardcore antisemite and regards anyone with even a drop of jewish blood (which probably includes an awful lot of us) as jewish
Her husband's campaign manager was one-eighth Jewish through his great-grandfather. I just looked up the Nuremberg Laws and even Hitler wouldn't have regarded the guy as jewish. But Hillary does.

somor

December 18th, 2017, 4:56 pm

ppauper wrote:
ppauper wrote:
to be fair to hillary, I'm not sure that calling someone a "fucking jew bastard" and "stupid kike" counts as antisemitism when the target isn't actually jewish

or maybe she's just a hardcore antisemite and regards anyone with even a drop of jewish blood (which probably includes an awful lot of us) as jewish
Her husband's campaign manager was one-eighth Jewish through his great-grandfather. I just looked up the Nuremberg Laws and even Hitler wouldn't have regarded the guy as jewish. But Hillary does.

I suppose she dislikes her son-in-law.

Cuchulainn

December 18th, 2017, 9:25 pm

somor wrote:
ppauper wrote:
ppauper wrote:

I suppose she dislikes her son-in-law.

What do you expect with all his snide remarks about his dear mother-in-law..

katastrofa

December 19th, 2017, 2:11 am

ppauper wrote:

I'd say exactly the opposite: It isn't antisemitism when the subject actually is a "fucking Jew bastard", but what do I know.

ppauper

December 19th, 2017, 6:19 am

katastrofa wrote:
ppauper wrote:

I'd say exactly the opposite: It isn't antisemitism when the subject actually is a "fucking Jew bastard", but what do I know.

I'll defer to your expertise on the matter

Cuchulainn

December 19th, 2017, 10:26 am

I think katastrofa is referring to ppauper's propensity for avoiding capital letters. I would say the slur has a different connotation depending on this distinction.

https://www.thoughtco.com/guidelines-fo ... rs-1691724

Also, hooligan versus Hooligan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hooliganism#Early_usage

Are you gonna lynch or Lynch someone?

ppauper

December 19th, 2017, 11:21 am

cuch sees a distinction between calling someone a "fucking Jew bastard" and a "fucking jew bastard", although when the words are spoken rather than written it would appear to be a distinction without a difference. How does one know if Hillary capitalized the word Jew when she spoke?
I agree that calling a Jew a Jew is not antisemitic, although I suspect there's a difference between calling someone a "Jew" and a "fucking Jew bastard"

katastrofa

December 19th, 2017, 2:33 pm

ppauper wrote:
katastrofa wrote:
ppauper wrote:

As a Jew, a jew or an anti-Semite? ;-)

@ Cuchulainn I'm not sure about English, but the distinction between a jew and a Jew is present in Polish. The names of religious adherents in Polish start with small letters, so a Jew is a citizen of Israel and a jew is an adherent of Judaism. However, since a jew also used as an insult (for some, it's debatable whether it's anti-Semitic or not), most people stick to a Jew, even if he or she is not a Jew.

ppauper

December 19th, 2017, 3:01 pm

katastrofa wrote:
ppauper wrote:
katastrofa wrote:

As a Jew, a jew or an anti-Semite? ;-)

as an expert on the English language

katastrofa

December 19th, 2017, 3:22 pm

Ouch.

Cuchulainn

December 19th, 2017, 5:17 pm

Let's adhere to the scientific method.

ppauper

December 19th, 2017, 6:01 pm

Cuchulainn wrote:
Let's adhere to the scientific method.

how would that apply in this instance?
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...