SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Paul

Re: Trump -- the last 100 days

January 12th, 2018, 9:15 pm

I can’t say I’m bothered by what Trump said at a private meeting. Or how he said it.

And the countries/continent mentioned negatively aren’t particularly wonderful. Google something like “quality of life” and you’ll see Norway right near the top. The other places don’t exactly feature highly.

Twitter has got itself into a bit of a lather over this, natch. Amusingly people are showing how wonderful their countries are...by showing beautiful beaches etc. Not exactly a result of man’s endeavors. Not so many people tweeting about, say, Haiti’s wonderful education system.

ppauper

January 13th, 2018, 7:58 am

bearish wrote:
ppauper wrote:
Cuchulainn wrote:
Trump doesn't want immigrants from 'sh**hole countries'

you clearly think that the US should take immigrants from sh**hole countries

For clarity, countries with a predominantly black, Hispanic or Muslim population.

I don't share bearish's white supremacist viewpoint, and I'd rather use an objective definition of a `sh**hole country.' The point has been made by Paul that various groups periodically issue rankings of countries using various metrics.
for example the world happiness report
pages 22-23, table 2.2, is a "ranking of happiness 2014-2016" with Norway in 1st place, with the US in 14th, behind Costa Rica in 12th.
Haiti, which was looted by the Clintons, is 145th out of 155, with the Central African Republic butt naked last.
Perhaps we could define the bottom quartile as `sh**hole countries' but the floor is open for other suggestions.

An old friend of mine from college used to work for the State Department (joining during the Bush I years) and her first posting was Costa Rica. She seemed to like it there and (at least then) it wasn't a `sh**hole country.'
And because it's not a `sh**hole country,' people are happy to stay there, rather than sneaking into the US through the hole in the fence.
Wiki has a page on Costa Rican Americans
It's old data, but anyhoo,
The Costa Rican population at the 2010 Census was 126,418. Costa Ricans are the fourth smallest Hispanic group in the United States and the smallest Central American population.
(snip)
There have never been waves of migration from Costa Rica to the United States. The Immigration and Naturalization Service records indicate that very few Costa Ricans have actually tried to enter the country illegally.

I'll tell you something for nothing: if there were only 126,418 Mexicans in the US, we wouldn't need to build a wall.

There actually seems to be some dispute (not necessarily in the liberal media, but elsewhere) about what President Trump actually said, including whether he actually said `sh**hole countries,' and it would appear that several remarks he made have been  conflated and distorted
From cuch's link
A second source familiar with the conversation, said Mr Trump, who has vowed to clamp down on illegal immigration, also questioned the need for Haitians in the United States.

What actually seems to have happened was there was an attempt by the democrats to add Haitians with Temporary Protected Status to the DACA amnesty. Those Haitian have been allowed to stay in the US temporarily following the double whammy of an earthquake and looting by the clinton foundation
The statement which the president did make that the US is not going to take Haitians under the amnesty has been presented as a statement that he did not make, that the US does not want to take Haitians, period.

Paul

January 13th, 2018, 8:40 am

https://news.sky.com/story/britains-mos ... y-11205385

“He rented an apartment above a shop in a drab northern suburb of Zurich.”

Drab? How dare they. As a Northerner myself I demand an apology from Sky. (Obv am from Northern England but clearly they mean Northerners from anywhere.)

I feel so angry and abused. I love this feeling! Wow! Is this how leftists all feel when Trump speaks? I get it now. I’m going to be permanently angry henceforth.

ppauper

January 13th, 2018, 9:15 am

indeed, drab is highly perjorative

in another thread, I posted what Teddy Kennedy said about his 1965 Immigration Act at the time it was enacted

(snip)
Contrary to the charges in some quarters, [the bill] will not inundate America with immigrants from any one country or area, or the most populated and deprived nations of Africa and Asia…
(snip)

no one picked up on it, but how dare senator kennedy call africa and asia "deprived"

ppauper

January 13th, 2018, 12:28 pm

Records show psych prof who 'diagnosed' Trump lacks license

and of course the goldwater rule again,
Psychiatric association warns against diagnosing public figures like Trump without medical exam
"We at the APA call for an end to psychiatrists providing professional opinions in the media about public figures whom they have not examined, whether it be on cable news appearances, books, or in social media," the group wrote. "Arm-chair psychiatry or the use of psychiatry as a political tool is the misuse of psychiatry and is unacceptable and unethical."

We had this during the campaign. For some reason, rather than respect the democratic process, these rogue psychiatrists feel that the president has to be stopped at all costs and that they, and only they, can bring him down.

bearish

January 13th, 2018, 10:57 pm

ppauper wrote:

Yeah, he merely quit because he hates Trump and his policies.

ISayMoo

January 13th, 2018, 11:17 pm

ppauper wrote:
Cuchulainn wrote:
Trump doesn't want immigrants from 'sh**hole countries'

you clearly think that the US should take immigrants from sh**hole countries

Well, people from non-s***hole countries have no reason to emigrate to USA.

Alan
Topic Author

January 14th, 2018, 10:35 pm

As WaPost commenter noticed, 'shithole' is an anagram of 'his hotel'. Does this mean there will or won't be a Trump Port-au-Prince? (I suspect it's all just a negotiating tactic from art of the deal stable genius).

bearish

January 15th, 2018, 2:01 am

Alan wrote:

As WaPost commenter noticed, 'shithole' is an anagram of 'his hotel'. Does this mean there will or won't be a Trump Port-au-Prince? (I suspect it's all just a negotiating tactic from art of the deal stable genius).

Or perhaps a collection of Trump Luxury Huts in Lagos, Nigeria? 

ppauper

January 15th, 2018, 8:07 am

Alan makes a compelling point, although I take exception at his potty mouth: if america continues to accept excessive numbers of immigrants from sh**hole countries, we run the risk that america too will become a sh**hole country. Alan clearly feels that we've already reached the tipping point, but I'm not so sure.

Incidentally, it seems increasingly probable that president trump did not use the language attributed to him by the pro-amnesty crowd, but the trump-haters hate trump so they prefer the profane version even if it didn't actually happen.

ppauper

January 15th, 2018, 8:39 am

Cuchulainn

January 15th, 2018, 8:55 am

ppauper wrote:
Alan makes a compelling point, although I take exception at his potty mouth: if america continues to accept excessive numbers of immigrants from sh**hole countries, we run the risk that america too will become a sh**hole country. Alan clearly feels that we've already reached the tipping point, but I'm not so sure.

Incidentally, it seems increasingly probable that president trump did not use the language attributed to him by the pro-amnesty crowd, but the trump-haters hate trump so they prefer the profane version even if it didn't actually happen.

"I don't see no Americans. I see trespassers, Irish harps. Do a job for a nickel ..What have they done? Name one thing they've contributed. '

Bill the Butcher
http://www.datasimfinancial.com

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect."

- Mark Twain

ppauper

January 15th, 2018, 11:41 am

Rand Paul: Trump isn't prejudiced against Haiti because he helped fund my medical mission trip there
that's a nice contrast to the clintons who looted haiti following the earthquake
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...