SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

tagoma

Re: Trump -- the last 100 days

May 25th, 2018, 7:32 am

Did you notice the layout of the paper sheet the S.Korean translator is taking notes with?

could you share your insight on this with us?
Many S.Korean nowadays continue to use this local traditional papyrus, they call supateko. It is generally 20-30cm wide, and can sometimes be 10m long, so S.Korean roll them, which also make it easy to carry large writing surfaces for students and lawyers. It has became even more popular in 2013 after flashy supateko appreared in a music video of the K-pop band Shushu Fensui.

ppauper

May 25th, 2018, 7:37 am

Did you notice the layout of the paper sheet the S.Korean translator is taking notes with?

Many S.Korean nowadays continue to use this local traditional papyrus, they call supateko. It is generally 20-30cm wide, and can sometimes be 10m long, so S.Korean roll them, which also make it easy to carry large writing surfaces for students and lawyers. It has became even more popular in 2013 after flashy supateko appreared in a music video of the K-pop band Shushu Fensui.
thanks, I learned something

tagoma

May 25th, 2018, 7:42 am

thanks, I learned something
you're welcome.

bearish

May 25th, 2018, 2:15 pm

I don't know what happened. Did the North Koreans got cold feet when Bolton (and Pence) went full neocon by raising the specter of Gaddafi (the Libyan dictator who was killed by Nato-backed jihadist rebels during the Obama years after having made a deal with Bush II)?
A bunch of rank amateurs with no plan, no intelligence and absolutely no diplomacy. What could possibly go wrong?

ppauper

May 25th, 2018, 2:32 pm

I'm with you, this should have been done live on TV in a Committee meeting, and shame on Rosenstein for not agreeing to that.

fwiw, Adam Schiff is having a separate briefing on the document request

I'm a little surprised that Gowdy and Nunes are going to this meeting. There's been a pattern: the House/Senate committees request information, DOJ/FBI refuses and asks committee members to come over to Justice and discuss it. Committee members go to meeting and leave empty handed then DOJ/FBI leaks peripheral information and blames the committee members for the leak.

There is no valid reason for DOJ/FBI not to turn this information over to the oversight committee. They're stalling in the hope the Dems regain control of Congress and kill the investigation into the investigation.
as expected, Gowdy and Nunes left empty-handed.
No doubt we can once again expect a load of leaks from DOJ/FBI coupled with those same DOJ/FBI leakers trying to blame Gowdy and Nunes for the leaks

ppauper

May 25th, 2018, 2:50 pm

I don't know what happened. Did the North Koreans got cold feet when Bolton (and Pence) went full neocon by raising the specter of Gaddafi (the Libyan dictator who was killed by Nato-backed jihadist rebels during the Obama years after having made a deal with Bush II)?
A bunch of rank amateurs with no plan, no intelligence and absolutely no diplomacy. What could possibly go wrong?
Left to their own devices, President Trump and Secretary Pompeo could probably pull off a miracle. They already did by getting Chairman Kim to release the 3 Kims.

bearish

May 25th, 2018, 4:25 pm

Left to their own devices, President Trump and Secretary Pompeo could probably pull off a miracle. They already did by getting Chairman Kim to release the 3 Kims.
Sounds a bit like a fairy tale: the Chairman and the three Kims. The phrase “we’re knee deep in kimchi” is likely to appear.

ppauper

May 25th, 2018, 10:32 pm

another scandal involving administration officials spending tens of thousands on office furniture
the $70,000 Conference Table

ppauper

May 26th, 2018, 5:29 am

ppauper

May 26th, 2018, 6:39 am

the latest from obama's director of national intelligence James Clapper

we've gone from
Only a paranoid nut-job would think the FBI was spying on the Trump campaign.
to
It's a good thing the FBI was spying on the Trump campaign!

Now we're told it wasn't "spying" (which has such negative connotations), it was "information gathering"
Clapper says Trump "deliberately distorted" his words on informant

the obama administration had a spy (sorry, "informant") in the trump campaign, but don't worry, the spy (sorry, "informant") wasn't there to spy, just to gather information

"He deliberately spun it, distorted it. I mean this is George Orwell — up is down, black is white, peace is war. That's exactly what I didn't say. I took aversion to the word spy, it was the most benign version of information gathering. The important thing is the whole reason the FBI was doing this was concern over what the Russians were doing to infiltrate the campaign, not spying on the campaign. Of course, he turned that completely upside-down in his tweet, as he is wont to do."
zero hedge looked up "spy" in the dictionary
spy n. pl. spies (spīz)
One who secretly collects information concerning the enemies of a government or group.
One who secretly collects information for a business about one or more of its competitors.
One who secretly keeps watch on another or others.

ppauper

May 26th, 2018, 6:20 pm

'Right to try' is a win for patient rights and President Trump
thank you mr president
In a victory for patient rights, the House passed the ‘‘Trickett Wendler, Frank Mongiello, Jordan McLinn, and Matthew Bellina Right to Try Act.” The bill removes the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as an obstacle for incurable, dying patients who want to try promising experimental medicines that have passed initial safety testing. The bill has been forwarded to President Trump for signature. The president, who has been a strong supporter of the legislation, will soon sign it into law.

ppauper

May 27th, 2018, 6:22 pm

Cuchulainn

May 27th, 2018, 7:20 pm

Where did they get those two turkeys?

ppauper

May 31st, 2018, 6:13 am

'Right to try' is a win for patient rights and President Trump
thank you mr president
In a victory for patient rights, the House passed the ‘‘Trickett Wendler, Frank Mongiello, Jordan McLinn, and Matthew Bellina Right to Try Act.” The bill removes the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as an obstacle for incurable, dying patients who want to try promising experimental medicines that have passed initial safety testing. The bill has been forwarded to President Trump for signature. The president, who has been a strong supporter of the legislation, will soon sign it into law.
President Trump signed the bill into law with several patients who will potentially benefit from the law in attendance
one little boy wasn't content to stay in the background and stole the show the boy is Jordan McLinn and he is a Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy patient

bearish

May 31st, 2018, 7:15 am

I knew something was wrong with this White House, but had perhaps not put my finger right on the root cause: not enough Kardashians! In the name of more photo ops for Trump, this has now been remedied.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On