Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

tw

Re: Peak Life passed

November 13th, 2019, 10:06 am

October 2019 CNBC  Life expectancy for American men drops for a third year 

"The average male lifespan stood at 76.1 years in 2017, a four-month decline since 2014. " 

"If you drink it without cream and sugar then this beverage doesn't affect your health. "

check the PH of your cup off coffee, dip a PH stick in it, there is more healthy ways to get this last legal pushed drug (caffein) into your hurting body. A cup of tea?
I am often curious (but have not had time to check) about whether, in this recent trend of decreasing longevity in the developing world, whether the spread between male and female lifespans is increasing.
And if so, what that says about those Peter Medawar theories about senescence in later life, relating the maximum age one can reproduce to lifespan.

Collector
Topic Author

November 13th, 2019, 10:44 am

October 2019 Life expectancy in England: what’s going on?  

"The latest life expectancy data from the Office for National Statistics doesn't provide much to celebrate. The UK’s life expectancy continues to stall and its poor standing in international life expectancy league tables calls for urgent action, especially as mortality is the tip of a much bigger disease iceberg. "

Life expectancy will continue to fall in 2019: KPMG
"KPMG’s pensions director Naz Peralta told IPE: “With the release of CMI [Continuous Mortality Investigation] 2018, 2019 will see assumed life expectancies under IFRS hit the same levels we saw in 2009 – a lost decade of life expectancy improvements."

"“The latest CMI 2018 model is showing that life expectancy improvements are lower than anticipated by the previous CMI 2017 model. The models reflect the recent actual outturn in improvements within the population.”"

Collector
Topic Author

December 10th, 2019, 9:58 am

It’s Not Just Poor White People Driving a Decline in Life Expectancy

A new study shows that death rates increased for middle-aged people of all racial and ethnic groups.

JAMA Life Expectancy and Mortality Rates in the United States, 1959-2017

"US life expectancy has not kept pace with that of other wealthy countries and is now decreasing.

US life expectancy increased for most of the past 60 years, but the rate of increase slowed over time and life expectancy decreased after 2014. A major contributor has been an increase in mortality from specific causes (eg, drug overdoses, suicides, organ system diseases) among young and middle-aged adults of all racial groups, with an onset as early as the 1990s and with the largest relative increases occurring in the Ohio Valley and New England. The implications for public health and the economy are substantial, making it vital to understand the underlying causes."

Cuchulainn

December 10th, 2019, 11:01 am

katastrofa

December 10th, 2019, 11:46 am

Stomach resection is the surgery most people need to live longer!

Cuchulainn

December 10th, 2019, 11:59 am

When I told my doctor I couldn't afford an operation, he offered to touch-up my X-rays.

Cuchulainn

December 16th, 2019, 1:01 pm

www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLUKfU2AOBY

Gaudeamus igitur
Juvenes dum sumus.
Gaudeamus igitur
Juvenes dum sumus.
Post jucundam juventutem
Post molestam senectutem
Nos habebit humus.
Nos habebit humus.
Vita nostra brevis est
Brevi finietur.
Vita nostra brevis est
Brevi finietur.
Venit mors velociter
Rapit nos atrociter
Nemini parcetur.
Nemini parcetur.
Vivant omnes virgines
Faciles, formosae.
Vivant omnes virgines
Faciles, formosae.
Vivant et mulieres
Tenerae amabiles
Bonae laboriosae.
Bonae laboriosae.
Vivat academia!
Vivant professores!
Vivat academia!
Vivant professores!
Vivat membrum quodlibet
Vivant membra quaelibet
Semper sint in flore.
Semper sint in flore.

Collector
Topic Author

December 16th, 2019, 4:58 pm

BBC: Dec 2019 The report also slashed the likelihood of children reaching 100.

"The latest report says:
20.8% of newborn boys are expected to reach 100
26.1% of newborn girls are expected to reach 100
But the projections two years ago thought:
34.1% of newborn boys would reach 100
40.2% of newborn girls would reach 100"

"Deaths from drug misuse, with Scotland having the highest drug death rate in the EU, are also quoted."

reports on that also in Norway, unexpected from increased opiates use...NHS type services often partly to blame, they write out pain killers (opiates) for hardly anything these days... 50% of life time should be expected to be in pain to go in balance over life(?)

"Stalling life expectancy in the UK has attracted plenty of attention from academics, but they offer no definitive answers on the causes."  they should call up some financiers good at crunching numbers and with deeper understanding of causalities.

Cuchulainn

December 16th, 2019, 8:20 pm

And opiates getting into the drinking water. We are being poisoned.

Collector
Topic Author

December 16th, 2019, 9:22 pm

drinking water pollution is a massive problem, especially many things they not even have in the standard test reports, often focus on a few substances only..

katastrofa

December 16th, 2019, 9:33 pm

NHS doesn't give away opiates lightly. In fact many people suffer from it, some being driven to suicide.

The whole stalling life expectancy is a modelling artefact. We have small samples for older age groups, because birth rates dropped during the European War, e.g. there can be no centenarians at some point, because not enough children were born 100 years ago to produce enough density in the upper tail of the lifespan distribution. See the historical fertility rates here: https://www.statista.com/statistics/103 ... 1800-2020/ (the drunken rabbit who wrote the description below the figure can see some rebound in 1915 - please ignore it)

My Palantír shows that the life expectancy will stall for another decade and then start to rebound slowly.

Is it true that people in finance use so much cocaine?

Collector
Topic Author

December 16th, 2019, 9:46 pm

"NHS doesn't give away opiates lightly. " 

"Over the three years to 2016, there was a 68% rise in the availability of opioid painkillers in the UK, a trend associated, as in other countries, with increasing medical prescriptions. This rapid rate of growth in the UK should be ringing alarm bells, according to the OECD." BBC 2019

but yes very likely deeper cause, such as people poisoned (by water pollution etc), gives pain, then for "good" reasons scream for opioids.

also pain tolerance went down, my old dentist (now retired) only once gave me pain killer, the new one wants to give me before i open my mouth... drilling a little in the teeth without pain killers and one know one are alive.

bearish

December 17th, 2019, 12:46 am

Speaking of such things, I have very very bad memories of the Norwegian school dental service, who would drill into perfectly good teeth and insert large amalgam fillings on the theory that they would decay anyway. While this may sound like a sick joke, I'm afraid it was indeed true. It's less clear whether it was driven by some direct or indirect scheme where they were compensated on the basis of the number of teeth drilled, which has often been alleged.

Cuchulainn

December 17th, 2019, 5:44 pm

Collector
Topic Author

December 17th, 2019, 6:18 pm

no cats?