SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

bearish
Topic Author

Charlottesville

August 13th, 2017, 1:41 am

The Trump base showing their true face. And the twit-in-chief praising them with faint damnation. 

ppauper

Re: Charlottesville

August 13th, 2017, 8:21 pm

ppauper

August 13th, 2017, 8:25 pm

President Trump has made it clear that what happened in charlottesville was completely unacceptable,  and I agree with him.

There was ugliness on both sides. The violent far-left fascists came looking for a fight.
You don't bring knives, clubs,  throwing bottles, and chemical irritants if you're planning a peaceful gathering.

Whatever happened to, "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

bearish
Topic Author

August 14th, 2017, 1:15 am

OK - I had low expectations, but you seriously underperformed them. I was going to say something clever and witty (not very hard, under the circumstances), but it is utterly pointless. You will obviously defend the dear leader until well after the mushroom clouds dot the landscape. Relative to that, keeping black people in their place and dealing with minor domestic terrorism incidents just aren't that important.

ppauper

August 14th, 2017, 7:08 am

"We condemn in the strongest possible terms this egregious display of hatred, bigotry and violence on many sides, on many sides."
That's clear and unequivocal: "strongest possible terms" and "egregious"
I think we all knew that whatever trump said, the haters were going to attack him and you didn't disappoint.
President Trump has made it clear that what happened in charlottesville was completely unacceptable, and I agree with him.

POLICE 'STAND DOWN' BLAMED FOR VIRGINIA CHAOS
There was ugliness on both sides.
You had one group of idiots organizing a protest and second group of idiots showing up to attack the first group.
The police stood down and let the second group attack the first group.
Then someone in the group being attacked drove a car into the group attacking his group.

there's a quote from a Brittany Caine-Conley, a minister in training at Sojourners United Church of Christ,
But others, including Mr. Kessler and Ms. Caine-Conley, openly wondered if the violence could have been prevented.
“There was no police presence,” Ms. Caine-Conley said. “We were watching people punch each other; people were bleeding all the while police were inside of barricades at the park, watching. It was essentially just brawling on the street and community members trying to protect each other.”
(snip)
Suddenly, people were throwing water bottles, some filled with urine. Some used pepper spray; from his perch on the sixth floor, Mr. Moran saw smoke bombs being thrown. People started clubbing one another. The clergy retreated to a “safe house” — a restaurant nearby.
But according to many witnesses, the police waited to intervene. Ms. Caine-Conley called it “fascinating and appalling.”

The violent far-left fascists (antifa and blm) came looking for a fight.
You don't bring knives, clubs, throwing bottles, and chemical irritants if you're planning a peaceful gathering.

As for the authorities,
Brian Moran, Virginia’s secretary of public safety and homeland security, was watching the events from a command post on the sixth floor of a Wells Fargo bank on the downtown mall. There were sporadic fights. “I compare it to hockey,” he said. “Often in hockey there are sporadic fights, and then they separate.”
Suddenly, people were throwing water bottles, some filled with urine. Some used pepper spray; from his perch on the sixth floor, Mr. Moran saw smoke bombs being thrown. People started clubbing one another. The clergy retreated to a “safe house” — a restaurant nearby.
(snip)
At 11:22 a.m. Mr. Moran called the governor and asked him to declare a state of emergency. Mr. McAuliffe did so. Asked why the police did not do more to control the brawling, Mr. Moran said, “It was a volatile situation and it’s unfortunate people resorted to violence.”
“But,” he said, “from our plan, to ensure the safety of our citizens and property, it went extremely well.”

Virginia’s secretary of public safety and homeland security was quite happy for the violent far-left fascists to attack the other group of idiots, but drew the line at any property damage.

when he ran for president, obama famously said,
“If they bring a knife to the fight, we bring a gun. Because from what I understand, folks in Philly like a good brawl. I’ve seen Eagles fans.”

In charlottesville, an idiot took obama's advice to heart and brought a car to a club fight. President Trump has condemned that and so do I. It was shocking and unacceptable.
The issue seems to be where you draw the line. The haters seem to think that a little bit of violence is acceptable. They don't have an issue with clubbing people with whom they disagree, but draw the line when one of their own gets hurt. Or in this case killed.

As I said before, whatever happened to, "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
Some of us are old enough to remember when the ACLU used to adhere to that and would go to court to protect the free-speech rights of groups that most of us find repugnant.
If the black panthers or the kkk or nambla wanted to hold a rally, the ACLU would be there to protect that group's first amendment rights.
They didn't care if it was the black panthers or nambla or the nazis.

ppauper

August 14th, 2017, 9:13 am

And at City Hall, a planned news conference by Jason Kessler, the white nationalist who organized Saturday’s rally, came to an abrupt end when a man wearing a plaid shirt punched him.
“Jason Kessler has been bringing hate to our town for months and has been endangering the lives of people of color and endangering other lives in my community,” the man, Jeff Winder, said in an interview later. “Free speech does not protect hate speech.”

outrun

August 14th, 2017, 11:38 am

So ppauper approves people marching and shouting "Heil Trump" and "blood and soil".

ppauper

August 14th, 2017, 3:31 pm

I disapprove of both sides.

The US constitution gives people a right to free speech even when you or I disapprove of what they say.  
It does not give us a right to beat with clubs those with whom we disagree. That's what fascists do.

Cuchulainn

August 14th, 2017, 6:00 pm

It's a class conflict, camouflaged in race.
http://www.datasimfinancial.com

"Science is what you know, Philosophy is what you don't know" Bertrand Russell.

bearish
Topic Author

August 15th, 2017, 2:46 am

ppauper wrote:

The US constitution gives people a right to free speech even when you or I disapprove of what they say.  
It does not give us a right to beat with clubs those with whom we disagree. That's what fascists do.

Yes, and Maduro, Duarte and the Jung-Un are equally legitimate as the twit-in-chief. Of course, they have a majority of votes cast behind them...

ppauper

August 15th, 2017, 5:39 am

bearish wrote:
ppauper wrote:

Yes, and Maduro, Duarte and the Jung-Un are equally legitimate as the twit-in-chief. Of course, they have a majority of votes cast behind them...

got it.
You still refuse to accept the result of the 2016 election.

outrun

August 15th, 2017, 7:49 pm

You can't make this up:
North Carolina’s version of the immunity bill, HB 330, passed the lower chamber of the legislature in April. The text of the bill says that a “person driving an automobile who is exercising due care and injures another person who is participating in a protest or demonstration and is blocking traffic in a public right-of-way is immune from civil liability for the injury.”

Paul

August 16th, 2017, 8:06 am

I don't think that preventing free speech is particularly productive.

And I think that bigotry is likely to just die out in the modern age.

However for some people it's not dying out fast enough. And their resulting actions will probably make things worse.

It's a common enough dynamic, seen everywhere, whether between different ideologies, parent and child or husband and wife.

Cuchulainn

August 16th, 2017, 10:39 am

In the U.S., is it illegal to go around in public dressed up as a Nazi soldier?
http://www.datasimfinancial.com

"Science is what you know, Philosophy is what you don't know" Bertrand Russell.

ppauper

August 16th, 2017, 10:47 am

Cuchulainn wrote:
In the U.S., is it illegal to go around in public dressed up as a Nazi soldier?

No, but you won't win many friends
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...