Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Cuchulainn

Re: Thank you Harvey Weinstein

November 25th, 2017, 3:25 pm

It is truly unfortunate if she felt disrespected, but I can't help but laugh at that description - it seems more playful, friendly, and silly to me.

Something one might do to/with a very good friend and both would laugh about it.  But I guess we all need a signed permission form before even shaking hands these days. 

So, tell me, are you *sure* you have never been tempted to behave like that?
When young people say there’s nothing for them to do it’s their own fault. In my day you made your own entertainment.
Indeed. Teach yourself Calculus interleaved with Critique of Pure Reason.
It's was a much simpler era.

Cuchulainn

November 25th, 2017, 3:58 pm

ppauper, what about page 3?

Traden4Alpha

November 25th, 2017, 3:59 pm

....But I guess we all need a signed permission form before even shaking hands these days. 
Sorry! "Signed permission" is a clear white-privilege microaggression that belittles the less literate and imposes the Imperialist legal system of written contracts on the victim.

Cuchulainn

November 25th, 2017, 4:46 pm

....But I guess we all need a signed permission form before even shaking hands these days. 
Like MR. Robinson in the Grabuate? 

ppauper

November 25th, 2017, 6:31 pm

It is truly unfortunate if she felt disrespected, but I can't help but laugh at that description - it seems more playful, friendly, and silly to me.

Something one might do to/with a very good friend and both would laugh about it.  But I guess we all need a signed permission form before even shaking hands these days. 

So, tell me, are you *sure* you have never been tempted to behave like that?
When young people say there’s nothing for them to do it’s their own fault. In my day you made your own entertainment.
Wesley - "Well I must say this is all rather odd to me."
Giles - "Truely is. Being at an all-male preparatory, we didn't go in for this sort of thing."
Wesley - "Ah. Course not. Unless you count the nights you made the lower classmen get up as girls and watch them-"
[Giles glares at Wesley] "Dip is tasty, isn't it?"

ppauper

November 25th, 2017, 7:46 pm

For motorboating, you need a lady friend with very large breasts. Real-life. You can't do it on your own with a copy of Jugs or by googling Melissa Mounds.

ISayMoo

November 25th, 2017, 9:59 pm

A "lady friend" (what a strange expression, anyway) implies a willing participant, not someone you have power over (e.g. if a cat does that to you it's OK, if you do it to your cat it's debatable). It seems to me that many men in various industries think that every young woman who is polite to them wants to "be friends" (as opposed to networking, sounding out prospects for a job, promotion, etc.)

Women just can't get it right it seems. If they sit quietly in the corner, they're told off for not being assertive enough. If they start acting assertively and approach men in power, they get motorboated. Could it be perhaps that it's an emergent self-defence mechanism of the group currently holding the wealth and power? Surely not :)
Last edited by ISayMoo on November 26th, 2017, 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

katastrofa

November 26th, 2017, 7:32 am

For motorboating, you need a lady friend with very large breasts. Real-life. You can't do it on your own with a copy of Jugs or by googling Melissa Mounds.
Precisely. That's why I and my male friends, who are able seamen, don't approve motorboating (even if I were large enough) lest someone gets hit by the boom vang.

katastrofa

November 26th, 2017, 7:33 am

A lady friend, not an intern or job applicant. An important distinction.
If I weren't your wife, I wouldn't want to be your friend :-)

ppauper

November 29th, 2017, 12:22 pm

first charlie rose, now matt lauer
NBC fires Matt Lauer after complaint about 'inappropriate sexual behavior'
Lauer has co-hosted The Today Show since 1998.

ppauper

November 29th, 2017, 9:54 pm

first charlie rose, now matt lauer
NBC fires Matt Lauer after complaint about 'inappropriate sexual behavior'
Lauer has co-hosted The Today Show since 1998.
I thought it was ok to do this!
On another day, he summoned a different female employee to his office, and then dropped his pants, showing her his penis. After the employee declined to do anything, visibly shaken, he reprimanded her for not engaging in a sexual act.
when bj clinton did that to paula jones, judge susan webber wright (a former law student of bj clinton) ruled that as long as you only did it once, it was pretty much the same as asking someone for a date

ppauper

November 30th, 2017, 7:04 am

Garrison Keillor fired by MPR: 'I put my hand on a woman's bare back,' he says
the former longtime host of “A Prairie Home Companion” on minnesota public radio
he's offered to leave the US,
The 75-year-old humorist who helped make MPR a powerhouse seemed more hurt, resigned and defensive than apologetic.
“It’s astonishing that 50 years of hard work can be trashed in a morning by an accusation,” he said in a Facebook post Wednesday evening. “I always believed in hard work and now it feels sort of meaningless. Only a friend can hurt you this badly. I think I have to leave the country in order to walk around in public and not feel accusing glances.”
he also claims that he himself was the victim of female sexual predators,
"If I had a dollar for every woman who asked to take a selfie with me and who slipped an arm around me and let it drift down below the belt line, I’d have at least a hundred dollars. So this is poetic irony of a high order.”

ppauper

November 30th, 2017, 11:23 am