Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Paul

Re: Thank you Harvey Weinstein

January 29th, 2018, 9:37 am

I was touched by a female TV producer yesterday. It felt a bit strange in the current climate.

We need a diagram of which parts of the body are appropriated for touching. Like you have for point scoring in fencing. It probably exists. Maybe also a measure of permitted pressure, movement frequency, which parts of toucher's hand/body are used, etc. 

Cuchulainn

January 29th, 2018, 10:07 am

It depends on the culture; even a tap on the shoulder  can land you in prison in some Western countries.

katastrofa

January 29th, 2018, 11:56 am

The culture of breaching personal space? I hate being touched too, especially by men, even those I like and trust. I'm sure that many women and men feel similarly. Obviously, a handshake or boxing are OK :-)

tw

January 29th, 2018, 1:15 pm

I find nonconsensual boxing just plain rude
The culture of breaching personal space? I hate being touched too, especially by men, even those I like and trust. I'm sure that many women and men feel similarly. Obviously, a handshake or boxing are OK :-)

Paul

January 29th, 2018, 2:16 pm

Anyone seen “Boxing Helena”?

trackstar

January 29th, 2018, 6:34 pm

I was touched by a female TV producer yesterday. It felt a bit strange in the current climate.

We need a diagram of which parts of the body are appropriated for touching. Like you have for point scoring in fencing. It probably exists. Maybe also a measure of permitted pressure, movement frequency, which parts of toucher's hand/body are used, etc. 
This is interesting and worthy of quantitative and qualitative analysis.  To encourage greater participation, it deserves its own thread!
Maybe some thing like: "Sensory Etiquette in the 21st Century: To Touch or Not to Touch..." :D

Hopefully with this producer and you it was a functional move - turning you toward the camera, or adjusting your lapels before the interview began.
If not (and she was making a light pass/posing a non-verbal question) at least you could wait a bit and later in the conversation, start talking brightly about your lovely wife and children. That is the single best deterrent I know.  :)

ppauper

February 9th, 2018, 6:50 am

It's not about penis, it's about power. Power corrupt. Weinstein's power over actors and actresses was absolute, so he was absolutely corrupted.
Then how many female sexual predators have we heard about recently? Zero.
honesty test
#MeToo movement lawmaker investigated for sexual misconduct allegations
California Assemblywoman Cristina Garcia has been accused of groping a (male) former legislative staffer and attempting to grope a (male) lobbyist

Paul

February 11th, 2018, 4:52 pm

Another news story about Brendan Cox, husband of the murdered Labour MP Jo Cox, allegedly groping a woman: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... claim.html Not the first claim against him. I can only see this story on one site. Is it my imagination or is the left-wing media picking and choosing which groping stories to run?

ISayMoo

February 11th, 2018, 8:55 pm

The Times ran a story about Mr Cox in 2015: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/save ... wlrj53t3gt

Paul

February 12th, 2018, 8:18 am

I think comparisons can be helpful.

Brendan Cox (Saint Brendan as he is sometime called, in jest): Husband of murdered Labour (+1 point) MP. Accused of groping women. Resigns from one charity (+1 point) job. Police called in another case (0 points for police being called to a lefty). Deafening silence on the left.

Presidents Club: Businessmen (-2 points) raising money for charity (0 points for anyone right wing involved in charity), black-tie dinner (-1 point), men only (-3 points), young waitresses (-3 points), 1970's comedian Jimmy Tarbuck (-1 point). No police involvement as far as I know, so far. No complaints. Evidence of molestation? An undercover 'reporter' for the Financial Times (+1 point). End results...many, many, many column inches and TV hours, club raising money for charity disbanded, millions returned from Great Ormond Street Hospital (muppets), children suffer. Boycotting of the people attending the dinner. Let's go back to that evidence...did you see the FT's recording advertising their 'scoop'? Two minutes pre-event while we have to listen to the reporter wittering on about what she will be doing at the party, while brushing her hair. So two minutes of hair brushing. This followed by one minute at the event, just film of the ceiling of the room bathed in pink lighting. Several hours of undercover filming and all she gets is a pink ceiling? I like to think I know a little bit about undercover filming...this was pathetic. Anyway, point is...bias + hypocrisy. Nothing new. But the rise of social media means that bias + hypocrisy has more damaging effects than before.

katastrofa

February 12th, 2018, 10:08 am

"GOSH revealed it received £530,000 from the Presidents Club between 2009 and 2016."

The contributions must have been pathetically little for "presidents" (people give more to stray dogs). Children would suffer more if regular donors found out that the hospital accepted donations from such sources.

Paul

February 12th, 2018, 10:27 am

Originally they said it was £2million! I don’t know whether their actions will increase or decrease donations. Lefties tend to be the most outraged (about pretty much everything) but donate less on average.

Paul

February 12th, 2018, 10:32 am

£2 million for the night across all charities. That’s ok! But the main thing is you agree with all my other points.

katastrofa

February 12th, 2018, 10:40 am

Not really. Just the bunch of old filthy (and not generous at all) pervs is too loathsome to comment more.