SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Amin
Topic Author

Happy Christmas And New Year

December 13th, 2017, 5:06 pm

I have made this thread to wish Happy Christmas to people all over the world from a Pakistani and others. I say happy Christmas to everyone and wish a new year with great happiness, fortune and success to people everywhere across the world. And I want to tell all American friends that I especially wish them luck, success, fortune and happiness. I hope they will also reciprocate my emotions by considering me a good friend who would always wish them well not just in words but by his actions. God bless Americans and all other people across the world. I wish I could do something for peace and harmony between all different nations.

trackstar

Re: Happy Christmas And New Year

December 14th, 2017, 2:59 pm

Happy holidays to you too, Amin.

It is possible to change the world, even a little bit, just by being.

So here is to kindness and harmony between people and peace between nations. 

ppauper

December 15th, 2017, 12:46 pm

thank you, amin, and happy holidays to you also

Gamal

December 15th, 2017, 12:55 pm

I have made this thread to wish Happy Christmas to people all over the world from a Pakistani and others. I say happy Christmas to everyone and wish a new year with great happiness, fortune and success to people everywhere across the world. 
Wish Happy Christmas to Asia Bibi 
 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asia_Bibi_blasphemy_case
You may visit her in prison. It's next to you, in Pakistan, in your tolerant country.

Amin
Topic Author

December 15th, 2017, 2:26 pm

There are every kind of people in my country. Do you know that one of the leading politicians in Pakistan Salman Taseer gave his life and he was murdered because he stood strong by the side of Asia Bibi and eloquently defended her. Murder of Salman Taseer was a great tragedy. I am a muslim and I believe that killing people or disrespecting them in the name of my prophet is extreme disgrace to our prophet. His life was full of forgiveness and he continued to forgive even the worse enemies but muslim hardliners and extremists do not listen to arguments like that. I believe we have to work on right education of our children in Pakistan so that they become tolerant and good human beings. Such intolerant incidents are a great blemish on our country and society and I have to be apologetic after that. 

Gamal

December 15th, 2017, 2:44 pm

Merry Christmas

Cuchulainn

December 15th, 2017, 4:15 pm

Don't forget the Neo-Constructionists.

Amin
Topic Author

December 16th, 2017, 4:43 pm

Merry Christmas
Thank you Gamal. Just like trackstar said if it is possible to change the world just a little bit, it is still worth it. I condemn blasphemy laws in Pakistan and will continue to try to end them. Sometimes it is frightening when we see how some elements in our society become radicalized. We need to invest in good education of our children so we pass them a better future and a better world.

Cuchulainn

December 17th, 2017, 6:57 pm

ppauper

November 4th, 2018, 12:13 am

There are every kind of people in my country. Do you know that one of the leading politicians in Pakistan Salman Taseer gave his life and he was murdered because he stood strong by the side of Asia Bibi and eloquently defended her. Murder of Salman Taseer was a great tragedy. I am a muslim and I believe that killing people or disrespecting them in the name of my prophet is extreme disgrace to our prophet. His life was full of forgiveness and he continued to forgive even the worse enemies but muslim hardliners and extremists do not listen to arguments like that. I believe we have to work on right education of our children in Pakistan so that they become tolerant and good human beings. Such intolerant incidents are a great blemish on our country and society and I have to be apologetic after that. 
there's an update to this story
As well as  governor of Punjab Salmaan Taseer mentioned by Amin,  Minority Affairs Minister Shahbaz Bhatti was also murdered for his support of Asia Bibi.

On 31 October 2018, Asia Bibi's appeal to the Supreme Court of Pakistan was successful and she was acquitted of the blasphemy charge for which she had been sentenced to death in the lower courts, because of  “material contradictions and inconsistent statements of the witnesses” that “cast a shadow of doubt on the prosecution’s version of facts.”
However, Asia is not out of the woods yet.
Following the verdict, Islamabad's main highway was blocked by "approximately a thousand club-wielding demonstrators", and TLP leader Afzal Qadri called for the death of the three Supreme Court justices involved in hearing Bibi's appeal, stating "The Chief Justice and two others deserve to be killed ... Either their security guards, their drivers, or their chefs should kill them."
According to wiki, Asia Bibi has been barred from leaving Pakistan, not that she could because she is being held in prison pending an appeal of the Supreme Court decision (? I know, Supreme Court, but evidently you can appeal its decisions to itself) which could take years
Bar from leaving Pakistan
On 2 November 2018, the Government of Pakistan under the administration of Imran Khan and the Islamist Tehreek-e-Labbaik political party, which encouraged the protests against Asia Bibi, came into an agreement that barred Asia Bibi from leaving the country, in addition to releasing Tehreek-e-Labbaik protesters. The deal includes expediting a motion in the court to place Asia Noreen on Pakistan's no fly list, known officially as the Exit Control List (ECL). Pakistani authorities will not release Asia Noreen until the "Supreme Court makes a final review of its verdict" as "Ghulam Mustafa, the lawyer representing a provincial cleric in Punjab who had filed the initial blasphemy charges against Bibi, petitioned the Supreme Court requesting that the judges review her acquittal." Similar reviews have taken years to process.
Italy, France, and Spain have all reportedly offered Asia Bibi and her family asylum if she is released, with Marine Le Pen, who lost the French presidential run-off to Macron, taking up her case
Asia Bibi libre, Marine Le Pen demande l'asile en France pour elle et sa famille
Thank you, Mme Le Pen

Others have been less helpful
wiki:
United Nations:
UN Deputy Spokesman Farhan Haq said that because of the Organization's long-standing opposition to the death penalty, it "would welcome this latest development".

Gamal

November 4th, 2018, 9:16 am

Oriental Christians are the most persecuted minority in the world. Our Europeans brothers don't care about it too much.

ppauper

November 8th, 2018, 3:01 pm

it's been reported that Asia Bibi has been released and flown out of Pakistan to an unspecified country.
If the reports are true, then I thank the government of Pakistan for letting her leave and I also thank whichsoever country has granted her refuge

ppauper

November 10th, 2018, 7:25 am

it's been reported that Asia Bibi has been released and flown out of Pakistan to an unspecified country.
If the reports are true, then I thank the government of Pakistan for letting her leave and I also thank whichsoever country has granted her refuge
reportedly it was the netherlands
Asia Bibi released from jail, to be shifted to the Netherlands: Report
a sincere thank you to the good people of the netherlands for this. And Italy it would seem
Earlier, Italy had said that it was working to help Asia Bibi leave Pakistan, amid warning from the woman's husband that her life was in danger.
(snip)
Tehreek-i-Labaik Pakistan (TLP) spokesperson Hafiz Shahbaz Attari, in a statement, said, "The Imran Khan government has released Asia Bibi as the Netherlands Ambassador in Islamabad reached Multan jail along with government officials to ensure her release. She is being transported to the Netherlands."
He said the party workers who are gathering in Islamabad and Rawalpindi have been asked to stop the government from allowing Asia Bibi from leaving the country.
the UK, not so much
U.K. refuses asylum for Asia Bibi, fearing Muslim 'unrest'
Shame on you, Theresa May

Cuchulainn

November 10th, 2018, 4:09 pm

ppauper,
Before you get the run of yourself, consider the 400 children who were born and who will be deported to a country they do not know.

[ltr]Rutte again says the cabinet has no plans to change child refugee policy[/ltr]

https://www.dutchnews.nl/news/2018/11/r ... ee-policy/

ppauper

November 13th, 2018, 12:37 pm

the UK, not so much
U.K. refuses asylum for Asia Bibi, fearing Muslim 'unrest'
Shame on you, Theresa May
Canada in talks with Pakistan over asylum
it's not a done deal yet, as Justin from Canada doesn't want to upset Canada's muslims
Mr Trudeau confirmed to the AFP news agency that his government was looking into bringing her to Canada.
"There is a delicate domestic context that we respect which is why I don't want to say any more about that, but I will remind people Canada is a welcoming country," he told AFP in an interview on Monday while in Paris for a conference.
Not sure why Justin is in talks with Pakistan rather than in talks with Asia Bibi and her family
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On